Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2023, 02:37 PM   #1

Curt Q24 sliding hitch procedure question

I can't seem to slide the hitch without what feels like a fairly violent slam at the end of the slide. Both forward and backward. I'm looking for some hints, but I think I'm doing everything right.

Make sure you're on level ground.
Unlock the hitch.
Fully engage the trailer brakes.
Move the tow vehicle a slowly as possible.

Seems like it's taking a good bit of power to get the hitch sliding.... Then bam!

I just checked and I'm able move the slide with my feet fairly easily. I thought it might be binding, but I don't think so.

It's a new truck and a new Q24 Ford puck slider.

Thanks all.
gwill1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2023, 03:11 PM   #2

I can add much but my Reese Elite hitch had to be muscled every once in awhile. I learned that it help to have the truck chocked and then put it in neutral to lessen any force in the hitch.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 08:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwill1010 View Post
I can't seem to slide the hitch without what feels like a fairly violent slam at the end of the slide. Both forward and backward. I'm looking for some hints, but I think I'm doing everything right.

Make sure you're on level ground.
Unlock the hitch.
Fully engage the trailer brakes.
Move the tow vehicle a slowly as possible.

Seems like it's taking a good bit of power to get the hitch sliding.... Then bam!

I just checked and I'm able move the slide with my feet fairly easily. I thought it might be binding, but I don't think so.

It's a new truck and a new Q24 Ford puck slider.

Thanks all.
I have a Curt hitch also and it hits kind of hard sometimes. Make sure your rollers are greased up good. One thing you must remember is that even though you are on even ground doesn’t mean the hitch is level because you’re truck my be unlovely due to the trailer weight on the truck. What works best for me is if I’m trying to slide it out just inch the trailer brake controller and then pull forward slowly until it locks. When you want to slide it back in just turn the gain off on the trailer brakes and roll forward slowly then push on the brake pedal slowly and let the trailer push it forward until it locks.

I Hope this helps
GlynnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 06:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlynnW View Post
I have a Curt hitch also and it hits kind of hard sometimes. Make sure your rollers are greased up good. One thing you must remember is that even though you are on even ground doesn’t mean the hitch is level because you’re truck my be unlovely due to the trailer weight on the truck. What works best for me is if I’m trying to slide it out just inch the trailer brake controller and then pull forward slowly until it locks. When you want to slide it back in just turn the gain off on the trailer brakes and roll forward slowly then push on the brake pedal slowly and let the trailer push it forward until it locks.

I Hope this helps
Reviewing the manual, I'm not seeing anything about grease. Is there a fitting to be greased with a grease gun or are you talking about the actual rails/rods the hitch slides on.

I watched the install video from eTrailer again. The installer shows the hitch slides easily by hand without the head. (no finished product slide shown) I can't move mine by hand, but I can move it by sitting and pushing with my feed. Can you describe how easily yours's is to move? Thanks very much.
gwill1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 11:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwill1010 View Post
Reviewing the manual, I'm not seeing anything about grease. Is there a fitting to be greased with a grease gun or are you talking about the actual rails/rods the hitch slides on.

I watched the install video from eTrailer again. The installer shows the hitch slides easily by hand without the head. (no finished product slide shown) I can't move mine by hand, but I can move it by sitting and pushing with my feed. Can you describe how easily yours's is to move? Thanks very much.
My rollers do not have grease fittings on it but I do grease the track the rollers run on along with the round bars that lock it into place. I am able just to push it by hand and make it move back and forth. Sometimes the dirt will build up on the tracks and make it a little rougher. One thing I also do once a year is I leave the hitch connected to the trailer and disconnect the hitch from the truck and lift it up so I can inspect it and clean it up really good and grease the all the fittings. It’s also makes it easier to shoot a little oil on the roller shafts.
GlynnW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch