Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2021, 03:18 PM   #1

Damaged TPO roof

Hi
We have a 5th wheel with a TPO roof. The roof separated at the front CAP and the first 5' of the roof is damaged. It's beyond repair. Is it possible!e to do this and if so how would one handle the seem across the roof? Thanks
mjdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2021, 03:27 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Is the damage just to the TPO material or is there structural damage to the roof itself?
Old 02-27-2021, 03:54 PM   #3

Just the TPO
Old 02-27-2021, 08:44 PM   #4

Funny you should ask!
When we arrived in Arizona last year, 116° w/40 mph winds, the front 4' of our TPO had blown up and separated from the roof.
I always suspected the air pressure going in around the pin box may have been to blame.
First check with your insurance, I've heard TPO replacement is covered after deductible, they'll cover the whole roof.
I purchased 6' of TPO, Dicor 901BA bonding adhesive, new vent assembly, plenty of white butyl tape (the sticky kind), 4" white eternabond tape for the seam between old and new.
Removed the left and right gutter sections (mine just happened to have 4' sections towards the front on each side.)
Removed bedroom vent, front cap to roof trim piece, and made a real nice straight cut at the 4' mark where my gutter sections ended ( actually 2" forward of that line so my eternabond seam tape could go under the gutters on installation.)
Difficult to get the TPO out from under the front cap, but got most of it.
The job wasn't too difficult for my wife and I, but it was still 115°!!
And, closed up the openings around my pin box to block the air, AND always tow with our LR ceiling vent open to release any inside pressure while driving at 70 mph!
Good luck with insurance!
lisaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:33 PM   #5

I had a friend of mine who does commercial roofing do a TPO roof on my shop at home. He rolled down a adhesive and the lap joints he used a heat gun on and rolled them. He said that joint is probably stronger than any other part of the roof. It simply will not come apart, ever.

For the life of me I can not remember the name of the adhesive but maybe contact a local commercial roofing contractor and ask if they do small side jobs.
Old 02-28-2021, 04:08 AM   #6

Thank
My suspicions are that there was an inadequate application of the bonding agent on the roof surface. Did you give any thoughts to screwing down the overlap between the old and new roof? The tape will provide water proofing. Your thoughts on the air pressure are interesting. We've never towed with the vent open due to dust concerns.
How long did it take you to make repairs. It's not 115 here in FL but 90 is no fun either. We have afternoon shade so I might try to split the work into 2 days.
Old 02-28-2021, 05:22 AM   #7

It will rain every afternoon soon in Florida. Be ready with a tarp to cover your work if doing it over two days.

I just checked the weather in Florida - next week would be a good time to do your project.

Oh, use youtube to see TPO roofing. You will pick up a few tips I bet, plus watching YouTube will give you the confidence to do the project. Beware, they make it look easier than it really is.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 05:41 AM   #8

Tpo

Thanks. The weather in Fort Myers looks pretty good but it will take some time to get everything needed for the work. We did tarp the front of the roof and raise the nose to help.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:55 AM   #9

I'll get a few pics for you today. Mine is completely waterproof, and it's been over a year now full time, almost 10k miles!
Old 02-28-2021, 08:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
It will rain every afternoon soon in Florida. Be ready with a tarp to cover your work if doing it over two days.

I just checked the weather in Florida - next week would be a good time to do your project.

Oh, use youtube to see TPO roofing. You will pick up a few tips I bet, plus watching YouTube will give you the confidence to do the project. Beware, they make it look easier than it really is.
Youtube yeilded an interesting way to seal the roof sections together. Apparently they can weld the TPO together.
Old 02-28-2021, 02:58 PM   #11

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I highly recommend you look up your nearest RV Flex Armor installer. They can fix the roof and then spray a new roof on that will be 100% better than what you have. you will never have roof worry's again including NO maintenance, no caulking and a lifetime guarantee.
Tow years ago I had it installed electively on my 38' fifth wheel just for peace of mind. Its impermeable, overlaps the front and rear caps as well as the gutter/drip rails the entire length of the RV. I love it.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:36 PM   #12

Thanks I'm familiar with them. The existing roof is 2 years old so I didn't want to go that route. It is a good product.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:13 PM   #13

I'll attach a few pic's if I can! I had an extra piece of trim I could have put on the seam, we didn't think it needed it. If you do, make sure there's a good beam or something there to screw into! It took us two six hour mornings to complete.
We found that the old glue wouldn't come off, but the new adhesive went right over the old and was super sticky. We let the tpo overhang the sides and glued only as far as we could comfortably reach, then slowly laid the tpo making sure all air bubbles are rolled out as you go. A random air bubble isn't the end of the world, poke a tiny hole and roll the air out.
We pushed an extra inch or so under the nose, and put that trim back on. We put the 2nd trim piece just behind the other one, directly holding down the tpo in the front. The white butyl we used the dealer kept in a refrigerator, that's how sticky it was.
They sell complete roof repair kits, you order as many feet as you need. A dealer gave us a leftover tpo from an insurance job! You can see in the pic the eternabond on the seam goes under the gutter. We used butyl under the tpo edge before pulling it tight and screwing on the gutters. Caulk as necessary. Cut the hole and put in new vent, if you have one.
Have fun! It's not that hard.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210228_151930.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	319675Click image for larger version

Name:	20210228_151706.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	319676Click image for larger version

Name:	20210228_153053.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	319677Click image for larger version

Name:	20210228_153132.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	319678Click image for larger version

Name:	20210228_153119.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	319679
Old 03-01-2021, 04:20 AM   #14

Yes, TPO can be welded together. They make it look easy, but I think there isca nack to it. If you decide to try to weld it which I think would be good if you can do it - try welding some scrap TPO as a test.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof