Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2008, 08:44 AM   #1

We are parked near a person with a Bighorn 38 ft 5th wheel. He asked me to come in and look at problems he is having. Inside the trailer there is a dark film on everything. It is even in the refrigerator on packages.
He showed me a number of problems on the trailer fit and finish and was pretty upset and worried about what they might be breathing in.
He pulls it with a 06 Chevy Duramax.
The only thing I can think of is diesel smoke or fumes from the truck being sucked in the trailer when driving. I asked if they keep any vents open while driving and he said no.
Based on his description of the fit etc, perhaps the fumes can be sucked in through other areas.
Anyone have any ideas on this or theories other than the diesel fumes?

Thanks, LIKENIT
1999 Ford F-350 XLT Crew Cab SB, SRW, V-10, 4.30 Limited Slip, Gear Vendors Under/Overdrive, Borla Headers & Exhaust, K&N Filter, BF Goodrich Velvet Ride Shackles , Turbowing, Power Programer, Amsoil By-Pass Oil Filtering System.
LIKENIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2008, 08:44 AM   #2

We are parked near a person with a Bighorn 38 ft 5th wheel. He asked me to come in and look at problems he is having. Inside the trailer there is a dark film on everything. It is even in the refrigerator on packages.
He showed me a number of problems on the trailer fit and finish and was pretty upset and worried about what they might be breathing in.
He pulls it with a 06 Chevy Duramax.
The only thing I can think of is diesel smoke or fumes from the truck being sucked in the trailer when driving. I asked if they keep any vents open while driving and he said no.
Based on his description of the fit etc, perhaps the fumes can be sucked in through other areas.
Anyone have any ideas on this or theories other than the diesel fumes?

Thanks, LIKENIT
1999 Ford F-350 XLT Crew Cab SB, SRW, V-10, 4.30 Limited Slip, Gear Vendors Under/Overdrive, Borla Headers & Exhaust, K&N Filter, BF Goodrich Velvet Ride Shackles , Turbowing, Power Programer, Amsoil By-Pass Oil Filtering System.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:54 AM   #3

Diesel fumes, mold, mildew. I would think if it was diesel fumes you could smell diesel inside. Personally I think it is time for a chemical analysis of the problem.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:59 AM   #4

I agree that it sounds like "Soot"...

It could be from the truck's exhaust and it could be either gas or diesel engine smoking under a heavy load..

Also.. ask if he keep the fridge on gas when traveling ... some folks like to travel with the refrigerator working on propane..

Does his rig have a roof top A/C unit ?

Could it be simply dirt and dust from the road that is kicked up by the truck and being sucked in through the rooftop A/C ?

This time of year there is a lot of "Black Sand" on the highways because of the snow plows sanding the icy spots...

Black sand is a combination of sand, mud and rubber dust from tires...

John
John Harrelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:42 PM   #5

I experienced that with our last 5er and my old Dodge CTD. We had traveled about 2K miles from home when without warning one day we stopped for the evening to a dark, nearly black interior. I had left a window slightly ajar, and a loose paneling along the front storage bay allowed exhaust gas to be drawn in by the lower pressure in the 5er. It all washed off with Spic N Span, and it all came out of the carpeting and furniture by a commerical cleaner. They deodorized the carpet, sofa, and other padded furniture afterwards. Two days later we were "on the road again". Thanks Willie!
Now an item on the breaking camp checklist is: close all windows and vents!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:00 PM   #6

I always travel with all 3 top vents open and pull with an 06 Chev Duramax. I've never experienced any dirt/soot in the trailer.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:18 PM   #7

I had a chance to talk to him briefly today. He said he did not notice anything prior to when it has gotten cold and he has had the forced air heat on. That would seem to narrow it down to the furnace.
He said he talked with a friend that is an engineer and he thinks it is the burner in the heater that it is put in backwards and or venting the exhaust into the trailer. I don't know how that could be without there also being carbon monoxide. They purchased an oil filled electric heater today and will not be using the forced air anymore. He is contacting Landmark and trying to decide where to go to get it checked and fixed. He said when he woke up this morning he coughed a lot. He also said his wife does burn candles occasionally, which could add to the problem.
At least he is not using the heater, which would be the most dangerous scenario.
If it is the heating unit that would probably explain the fridge interior. If the heat was on, every time the fridge door was opened the film could settle there.

LIKENIT
Old 01-06-2008, 11:26 AM   #8

Someone on another forum thought they had heard about a Suburban furnace recall this past year. I Googled that and found these;

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/19004615.cfm

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...615/page/2.cfm

Sounds like this is the problem here.
He has a Suburban and called the furnace manufacturer and they seemed to jump on getting someone there. There is a guy coming tomorrow to service it.

LIKENIT

Fun Flies When You're Having Time