Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2021, 03:29 PM   #1

Dear RV Manufacturers - [Moderator Edit]are you thinking?

We are in the market for a <35' 5th wheel. Every time we watch a video and my wife sees a window behind the stove, we scratch that RV off of the list.

I assume the person that designed that does not cook. The funny thing is, one manufacturer added that to their RV and a bunch of the others thought it was a good idea.

-B
Full time RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon - Harley FLTCR - 2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS - Also considering a Polaris General 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2021, 03:45 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just put in a vinyl window shade and keep it closed and forget it is there.

What bugs me about RVs now is the lack of cabinets and drawers. They put in large windows and blank walls which is much cheaper than cabinets, closets, and drawers. Obviously, they are designed by people that only take weekend trips.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 04:02 PM   #3

Window

A window by the stove is a really bad idea. I also didn't think it met the RVIA code. If it's electric or induction then your good to go. As far as shades go you'll try to clean them once and than they will be in the garbage.
mjdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 04:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdenn View Post
As far as shades go you'll try to clean them once and than they will be in the garbage.
My wife said the same exact thing when I suggested a shade.

Now that you mention it, what do you do for privacy? I don't think I've seen one with a shade. My poor neighbors....

-B
Full time RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon - Harley FLTCR - 2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS - Also considering a Polaris General 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT
Old 10-04-2021, 04:58 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Our 2004 Itasca Sunrise has a window in the galley with metal Venetian blinds. Even though it's closer to the sink and isn't directly above the range, that seems like a much safer option than traditional privacy shades.
Old 10-07-2021, 01:04 PM   #6

I get it but at the same time I'm not sure I'd allow that to be a deal breaker. I'd just build a cover for it and call it good to go. Several ways to make a cover for it and attach it to the wall without damaging wall....command strips, clear Velcro buttons, or even magnets like the wolfpacks use on their cutting board/ backsplash.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 01:29 PM   #7

install the darkest window tint you can find?
Keeps things cooler, keeps UV out.
Seems like an economical option.
That's just me I guess.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:59 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
We thought the window behind the stove was a bad idea but bought the RV anyway. It turns out it is no big deal. And it does provide some additional viewing. It has a pull down pleated shade.

We also have LOTS of windows on the other walls. It is the primary reason for buying what we have (see signature). We like looking out. And at night it is easy to close the slow rise shades. And we have lots of cabinets; so much so that some don't even get filled even on our 6+ month trips.

We had a motor home that bragged about all it's storage and we never filled it either and we got very tired of the shorter, lower windows.

Heck, I even remember a person on one of these forums that refused to buy a floor plan like ours just because the TV blocked a window when it was in the up position. It's just a matter of choice. For us the windows we have work out well.
Old 10-08-2021, 01:11 PM   #9

We are going to look at the 310GK-R. I am concerned about it's size. I really wanted to be closer to 30'.
Old 10-08-2021, 01:28 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
We are going to look at the 310GK-R. I am concerned about it's size. I really wanted to be closer to 30'.
The 310GK-R would be a big stop up from the ORV you have on order.

We really wanted something shorter but got spoiled form past RVs we had and wanted a residential frig, big closet in the BR along with a washer/dryer and the island kitchen.

It's a bummer having to decide between length and "goodies". I'm sure you'll figure things out.
Old 10-08-2021, 01:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
The 310GK-R would be a big stop up from the ORV you have on order..
True, but it is still way shorter than the 45' motorhome that we currently travel in. We are 73' going down the road. The whole reason for the TT is to make moving it more convienient. We will still live 6+ months a year in the motorhome... it will live on our lot in FL.

Do you have the 310? How do you find getting into state parks and such?

-B
Old 10-09-2021, 10:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
It's a bummer having to decide between length and "goodies". I'm sure you'll figure things out.
Thats what we're going through right now. We're just going to have to find one that fits most of our wants. We have a list of things that are deal breakers and things we're willing to live without. To complicate that a little more my wife's list is different than mine haha
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 03:20 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
True, but it is still way shorter than the 45' motorhome that we currently travel in. We are 73' going down the road. The whole reason for the TT is to make moving it more convienient. We will still live 6+ months a year in the motorhome... it will live on our lot in FL.

Do you have the 310? How do you find getting into state parks and such?

-B
A few things.....
>> We went to the 310GK-R fro a 38' DP motorhome. We haven't looked back. We love walking right into the living space every time we enter. It was the residential fridg in the class A that drove us to another residential refrigerator. And it seems as soon as you decide you want that fridge you are up into the 35' plus length.

>> I was looking at you signature and am confused... You have an ORV on order? And an F-450? With an F-450 you can get pretty much which ever 5ver you want. I suppose it could never be too much truck, but it's a bit of overkill for a short RV (less than 35 feet). Double Tree has a nice 36'-ish fiver that might be a good consideration

>> Why bother leaving a motorhome on a lot in FL to rot in the sun (we live in FL)? Just get a nice fifth wheel and use it. It seems it beats having to move cloths and stuff between rigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
Thats what we're going through right now. We're just going to have to find one that fits most of our wants. We have a list of things that are deal breakers and things we're willing to live without. To complicate that a little more my wife's list is different than mine haha
haha..... always those compromises..... keep the DW happy!
Old 10-09-2021, 06:34 PM   #14

Guess I’m clueless here. I think window behind cooktop is a good idea. Provides ventilation for CO.
slotown is offline   Reply With Quote