RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2020, 08:13 PM   #1

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Dexter Disc Brake Squeal

2014, 8k axles, towed about 25k miles. Noticed some brake squeal yesterday when stopping. It would happen from around 30 - 15 mph. Not upon initial brake application or during entire deceleration. Brake performance is same as usual and smoth. Nothing visible on outer side of the discs. Should I be concerned? Thoughts. Suggestions. Thanks
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2020, 07:45 AM   #2

Probably not an imminent failure, but pull the wheels off and inspect.

Wouldn't hurt to change the pads anyway.

Pick up some of this while you're at it, really works.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...0brake%20quiet
Don't be stingy using it.
Boogie_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:10 AM   #3
IC2

Most disc brake pads have what I call a squealer on them that rubs on the rotor when at the wear limit. I would pull the wheels and check the wear. My 6K Kodiak system pads with their 225 calipers were getting close to those squealers at about 16K miles. My replacements will be a heavy duty semi metallic pad (which may also squeal when cold).

A note - you may be able to find alternate and better brake pads at a lower cost with a little research. Kodiak uses common GM pads for their GM design calipers. Depending on the year yours were installed, you also may have Kodiak single piston calipers since Dexter/LCI now own Kodiak (since 2018)
Old 12-01-2020, 11:28 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
first and easy check is to check for pad wear. Also cheaper than going to long and ruining the rotors.

Ken
Old 12-01-2020, 04:23 PM   #5

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Most disc brake pads have what I call a squealer on them that rubs on the rotor when at the wear limit. I would pull the wheels and check the wear. My 6K Kodiak system pads with their 225 calipers were getting close to those squealers at about 16K miles. My replacements will be a heavy duty semi metallic pad (which may also squeal when cold).

A note - you may be able to find alternate and better brake pads at a lower cost with a little research. Kodiak uses common GM pads for their GM design calipers. Depending on the year yours were installed, you also may have Kodiak single piston calipers since Dexter/LCI now own Kodiak (since 2018)
Thanks. I'm pretty sure I cannot get a replacement pad for Dexter disc....at least of my vintage. This is what I have always read and they are much more expensive than the Kodiak/GM pads.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:18 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Pull the wheels and look it could be nothing more than a small rock and you can check the pads at the same time. Someone makes replacement pads and if you do use some of this, works well. I just installed my discs about six thousand miles ago, no noise so far.

CRC disc break quite: Specially formulated to dampen the vibrations that cause brake noise. ... Backing plates, brake pad contact points, disc brake pads.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:33 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I have the dexter disk brakes and they have squealed as long as I can remember, pads are fine and brakes work fine also, no real wear, they just make noise.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:43 AM   #8

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette Racer View Post
I have the dexter disk brakes and they have squealed as long as I can remember, pads are fine and brakes work fine also, no real wear, they just make noise.
Comforting to hear. I can't imagine them being worn out at my mileage level. I looked at them last year and the pads appeared pretty thick.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:34 AM   #9

Disc Brake Pad Replacement Kit for 6K & 8K
Garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
Comforting to hear. I can't imagine them being worn out at my mileage level. I looked at them last year and the pads appeared pretty thick.
Keep in mind that your trailer is probably at least 3 or 4 times as heavy as the vehicles these pads were designed for. I would think 25,000 miles would be enough to wear them out.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:52 AM   #11

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Would i be able to well enough see the pad thickness without pulling the wheels? I have done bearings and installed a disc swap-over in my day but have otherwise never kept a vehicle long enough for it to need brakes! LOL
Old 12-03-2020, 12:44 PM   #12
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
Would i be able to well enough see the pad thickness without pulling the wheels? I have done bearings and installed a disc swap-over in my day but have otherwise never kept a vehicle long enough for it to need brakes! LOL

You might be able to stick a finger through a wheel spoke to feel the outer side pad. But, with that said, if Dexter has used a GM desighn pad, you will need to check both pads. GM designed ther pads wth different thickness steel backers as well as friction material.

I know you said you hadn't found an alternate brand pad, but....it would surprise me if thet didn't use some Big 3 standard design and contract for Dexter unique packaging as a cost savings
Old 12-03-2020, 04:36 PM   #13

"Keep in mind that your trailer is probably at least 3 or 4 times as heavy as the vehicles these pads were designed for. I would think 25,000 miles would be enough to wear them out." from post 11

The difference between Dexter 4 piston fixed calipers and Kodiak sliding calipers is dramatic. Dexter uses brakes rated and designed for the load that they are carrying. Kodiak borrows a caliper from a passenger vehicle that was probably initially under braked anyway.

As far as my Dexter brakes are concerned...They use 4 pistons with about 2.25 times the hydraulic force of a single piston Kodiak. Additionally, I don't recall that there are any anti chatter/squeal devices in the pad/rotor combination.

Cheers
Old 12-03-2020, 04:48 PM   #14

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunge motors View Post
"Keep in mind that your trailer is probably at least 3 or 4 times as heavy as the vehicles these pads were designed for. I would think 25,000 miles would be enough to wear them out." from post 11

The difference between Dexter 4 piston fixed calipers and Kodiak sliding calipers is dramatic. Dexter uses brakes rated and designed for the load that they are carrying. Kodiak borrows a caliper from a passenger vehicle that was probably initially under braked anyway.

As far as my Dexter brakes are concerned...They use 4 pistons with about 2.25 times the hydraulic force of a single piston Kodiak. Additionally, I don't recall that there are any anti chatter/squeal devices in the pad/rotor combination.

Cheers
I have always heard that the Dexter was a more robust design than the Kodiak and that there were not any other pads available but Dexter. Looks like about $300 for both axles.
So the noise I'm hearing could be an issue with the brake(s) or worn pads/rotors?

Tags
brake