Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2018, 09:26 AM   #1

Disc brake failure!

Just wanted to ask around if anyone has ever experienced or heard of a catastrophic failure in any type of trailer disc brake conversion like below?

The Story:
This past Thurs evening, we’re pulling our 42’ Jayco North Point 377 RLBH with <2.5 yrs/25k Kodiak disc brake miles into the second rest area of the day, entering at 15 mph, and come to a stop...and it took a good bit of pedal pressure to do it. The trailer was really pushing us. I put in drive again and press the BrakeSmart controller button and NOTHING as we go forward another 30’. I backed it up to the original stop. First, I checked the TV master cylinder, it’s full. I go back to the camper and see this long fresh fluid trail and find this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2772.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	610.4 KB
ID:	220061

This is the driver side front axle wheel. Notice the position of the caliper. It’s supposed to be at the 9 o’clock trailing position, not at 6. All five caliper mounting bracket studs are gone! The brake hose was ripped from the caliper now hanging in front of the axle. I searched all around for stud remnants (should be 10) but couldn’t find any. I walked our entrance path back another 200 yards or so...no fresh fluid trail or stud remnants. We were very fortunate this mishap happened at a rest area. It rained on us twice during the two hours it took to figure out a bandaid solution, as the caliper was contacting/dragging the inner wheel and that would throw a hell of a spark or fire display had we not have discovered this failure and continued. I ended up finding two matching bolt and nuts(smaller) in my spare collection to attach the caliper bracket back at 9 o’clock thru two accessible holes without having to remove the rotor. I did remove the tire and found minimal gouging scratches inside the wheel. I was a completely soaked dirty greasy pig after the ordeal. Fortunately, I have my closet with me.

Before leaving, I had the DW press hard on the brake to find no more fluid coming from the line. So that long trail of fluid in that parking lane was it. As you can see in the pic it really splattered the tire and wheel thoroughly.

I’m finding this to be a very rare incident and still won’t take anything for these fabulous disc brakes on our trailer. They saved us inside 30 days of install on a frightening near head on collision(wrongway driver)!

Kodiak brake kit came from ETrailer and do not come with bracket mounting studs. It’s accepted the factory axle drum brake studs are reused. I’ve 7k Lippert axles. But in this case I remember the mechanic saying they had to get longer studs, so I’m not sure who’s really at fault, that this was an unfortunate happen stance.

I welcome all replies if anyone has seen/heard this happen.
dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2018, 10:09 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
First I have heard of it. I think I would contact Kodiak and ask the engineers what should be used there to make sure it does not happen again.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:23 AM   #3

I received longer studs with my kit .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:24 AM   #4

Grade 8 bolts, shake proof washer.....or Esna {sp} nuts.......mine only use 4 per axle to bolt bracket to axle flange...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:26 AM   #5

Studs being lug bolts?......or caliper mounting bolts?
Old 09-22-2018, 10:31 AM   #6

Thanks for the reply. I made contact with them yesterday and the kits don’t come with replacement studs. The factory axle studs get reused and they usually put grade 5 and have always worked well he said. But in my case I remember now the installers had to get longer studs from nearby, also in Elkhart IN. So I called them too, asked about what grade they used and what torque value...he couldn’t tell me as my conversion was probably the last disc brake conversion they did, almost 2.5 years ago. They usually work on other aspects of RV repair, not so much as specialty items like this, but I had bought the whole kit from ETrailer ahead of time to do this conversion upgrade upon delivery of the new rig, yet our original appt fell thru with another mechanic and they squeezed us in as an emergency, yes....the factory drum brakes didn’t even work from delivery! I know, more info that takes up too much space.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:34 AM   #7

Disc brake failure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Studs being lug bolts?......or caliper mounting bolts?

Caliper mounting bracket stud bolts. I think they’re supposed to be 3/8x24. I’m not sure if the bracket was threaded or must use nuts?
Old 09-22-2018, 10:39 AM   #8

Mine uses nuts on the bolts.......how did you solve the broken fitting on the brake hose?
Old 09-22-2018, 10:44 AM   #9

We have no brakes now. Hose is still dangling. Will need a new hose, hopefully the caliper is still good. We’re at a campground in Fort Wayne, after towing 35 miles with no brakes. We’re waiting for a call from MORryde Intl in Elkhart on Mon to fit us in. They are a Kodiak dealer. With 25k miles, well have new pads put on all four.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:47 AM   #10

Being's how these use GM pads, when I need to replace pads, gonna see about the ceramic/ metallic combo pads.....work great on my truck...
Old 09-22-2018, 10:48 AM   #11

Western Marine also carries these brakes....if needed, you could undue that wheels steel line from the brass block and plug it off....at least you'd have 3 wheel brakes
Old 09-22-2018, 10:50 AM   #12

Disc brake failure!

I also saw a YT video where these two guys put on a Kodiak/Titan system and mentioned that Kodiak pads carry a lifetime warranty. Send em back and get a new set. But really, how can someone keep their rig up on blocks for the turnaround time? Most auto parts stores will have replacements to fit. Just have the Kodiak part no.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:53 AM   #13

Might have to purchase the pads, then send the others back, then get credited on your card...
Old 09-22-2018, 11:01 AM   #14

You might want to pull another wheel and check those caliper mounting bolts also.

Tags
brake