Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2015, 09:11 PM   #1

Disc Brakes

Hi,Has anybody swiched their their drum brakes out for a disc brake system,I am looking at the Kodiak system,just wondering if it is worth the extra cost,we have a 2011 Landmark and we are fixing to go full-time and do some serious traveling,so I like the idea of a disc brake system.Thx. for any comments.
12Dodgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2015, 10:08 AM   #2

I do over 6k miles a year for the past 23 years and brakes have been a none issue. I set then so I feel the trailer braking at low speed and at high speed I never worry about stopping. As long as the wheels do not lock its the best there is. I read about disc brakes having delayed reaction while the pump rev up. In my close call situations I sure would not have liked locking wheels along with delayed action. It's OK if you can plan it.
Trucks have air brakes and drum brakes for all these years and they are a none event also.
The advantage of disc brakes on cars are cost and ease of maintenance while antilock braking system had to be introduced. If they would not be so cheap drum brakes would still do well. I only experienced fading at speeds above 70mph anyway.
To me it's like lots of other spoiled items that people use on their units it's just stuff. The shelves a CW are loaded with stuff and we need a 60ft and 8000 lbs axles to carry all that stuff.
For me I carry knowledge and tools to do the repairs, which is much more important then stuff.
George Srait says it right, let it go, it's just stuff and you cannot take it with you when you go.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:29 AM   #3

Dodgeman,
Disc brakes are the only way to go. I did mine 8 years ago. I have a 30' 5ver (11,000#) and a Dodge 1 ton w/v10 (gas). When was the last time you bought a car that didn't have discs? Why RV mfg don't equip all as standard? We left for a quick trip to Colo. from Northern California. Went up to Lake Tahoe first and headed up and over Kingsbury Grade to camp in Minden NV our first night. Kingsbury is a severe grade on the E side and even though I was in 2nd gear the whole way, I had NO brakes at the bottom; I actually pulled over onto the shoulder and after a long roll out threw the tranny into PARK as I had no way to stop before I went thru the stop sign. The fluid in the truck master cylinder was boiling! Onto Colo and we went up and over Slumgullion Pass and just before Lake City again no brakes. When I got home I installed Kodiak discs and a Dexter actuator. Best money I ever spent on the RV. If you go that route, just buy your brake line from your local auto parts store. It comes in straight sections PRE-FLARED and you can just bend to fit. The disc kits online come with coiled brake tubing and I never could get a good double flair by doing it myself. Run a separate 10 ga. brake power line (not the blue wire) from your TV battery, thru a 30A breaker all the way to your brake actuator. All up cost (if you do it yourself) is about $1,200 for two 7k axles (and you get new bearings and seals too!). Bleed brakes several times so you are sure all the air is out, go out and adjust your brake controller (I use a Brake Smart, but they aren't available anymore, P3 works fine) and you will never have another brake problem. Works smooth as silk.
Do it now, and enjoy every decent!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:34 AM   #4

Dodgeman
Our 2008 Titanium, 30E35TS weighs 13500lbs, came equipped with disc brakes. I installed a P3 controller. I will never have another 5ver with drum brakes again. The stopping power is incredible compared to the drum brakes. And yes I kept my drum brakes fully serviced and adjusted as I am an Auto Tech. With the proper controller set up properly the stopping ability is 2nd to none. I wish all Manufacturers of trailers over 10,000lbs would use discs as standard. I feel the drum brakes on heavy units are there just to keep the unit in line more than the stopping of the trailer.
And before the comments start to fly about my knowledge of disc brakes vs drum brakes, I am a certified Motor Mech as well I have been trucking Oversize Loads around the continent for 20yrs.
Cheers Rick T.
wowlites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:45 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club

Disk brakes are a better system. They never need adjustment. Drum brakes need to be adjusted, and done incorrectly can 'drag,' overheat, and cause trouble. As has been stated above, most auto makers have changed to disk brakes because of their superior braking action.

I've never heard of disk brakes needing to be, "pumped up" but I certainly have experienced and know that badly out of adjustment drum brakes might need a second push on the pedal to get the shoes out to the drum to get full braking power. Disk/rotor brakes don't have any return springs, the pads and pistons are 'riding' right on the rotor so any pressure is instantly applied to the rotor and give stopping power.

While drum brakes are adequate, I do think disk brakes are superior.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:58 PM   #6

The opinion that disk brakes are cheaper then drum brakes, and thats why the whole, auto and some of the truck and construction equipment industry, re-tooled, for them, is just wrong.

There are many benefits, with disk brakes, safety being an important one.

Does everyone remember driving thru a puddle and having wet drum brakes?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:52 PM   #7

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Disc on my last trailer and current. I will never have electric drum again. Lag? With a titan pump and proper lines it's nearly nil. On a heavier rv and the amount of traveling you may doing you will never regret disc. Go for it!
Old 06-04-2015, 12:41 PM   #8

I wish my rear brakes on my F250 was drums like my previous 2500 GM. The brakes on the GM were a none issue. But the pads on my F250 just don't last and I need to carry spaes and change then every 2 years. I had a VW with front discs and it got so bad at loosing the pads that I just replaced on side at a time. In 8 years never once replaced rear brake shoes. This is from experience. Don't really know why but I never saw any advantage as long as I am not racing. Anyway 10000 lbs trailer is not heavy.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:45 PM   #9

Disc Brakes

Thx,guys for the replies back,I am currently looking for a installer to put a set of Titans on our Landmark,being we live in Bakersfield,Ca. it looks like I might have to drag her to the Los Angles area,but that's alright.Thx,again.
12Dodgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:38 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
My disc brakes only way I'd go. I didn't like the lag in the electric break reacting on the 5th wheels I own. Hydraulic disc is only way to go.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:07 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I will never have another trailer if it does not have disc brakes. DO IT. You will never regret it.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Dodgeman View Post
Hi,Has anybody swiched their their drum brakes out for a disc brake system,I am looking at the Kodiak system,just wondering if it is worth the extra cost,we have a 2011 Landmark and we are fixing to go full-time and do some serious traveling,so I like the idea of a disc brake system.Thx. for any comments.
I helped my Dad swap his with the Kodiak system. Easy installation, did the oil bath bearings. You will wish you had done it sooner!!!!
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:16 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I have the Dexter disc setup( came on the unit from the factory) 7000# axles, and as everyone has said, won't go back to drums. Have put close to 20,000miles on her and the pads still look like new.
Cassiel,
If your rear pads are wearing that much you have something wrong, you should be getting 70 to 120k miles out of a set of pads. Your calipers are hung up and not releasing, or one of the rubber lines isn't letting the fluid return when you let off the pedal.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
I have the Dexter disc setup( came on the unit from the factory) 7000# axles, and as everyone has said, won't go back to drums. Have put close to 20,000miles on her and the pads still look like new.
Cassiel,
If your rear pads are wearing that much you have something wrong, you should be getting 70 to 120k miles out of a set of pads. Your calipers are hung up and not releasing, or one of the rubber lines isn't letting the fluid return when you let off the pedal.
Frank
They don't wear out. Rust causes the pads to separate from the backing plate. Was the same problem with my VW. My truck has not seen salt in the 8 years I owned it. The VW did drive everyday in the winter on salt roads and 50k miles per year.
My collectors car with disc brakes need a good hard braking to clean the discs if I just not use them often.
We left our Toyota in Canada for one winter and the next spring the rear brakes were seazed. Enough said I hate disc brakes and the exposure to the elements. Rear disc brakes here do not work in my area. Everyone complains.

Tags
brake, brakes