RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2020, 12:50 PM   #1

Dishwashing machine gel

Anybody use the dish washing gel to unplug the gray tank?
buc1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2020, 07:33 PM   #2

I have never heard of a grey tank being plugged, but it couldn't hurt.
Garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:29 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The only thing I have heard of blocking the gray tank is the plastic disk they cut out to put the drain hole through. The black tank has the possibility of plenty of other kinds of blockages though. I would not expect dishwasher soap to do much but there are other types of holding tank digesters that might work IF the blockage is organic in nature. Happy Camper Extreme is one but there are others.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:17 AM   #4

We have used dish washing liquid in the waste tanks to help clean them. Not packets but gel/liquid that is diluted and poured in. It seems to have good de-greasing and "wetting" agents and for us helped get the gunk out and make the level sensors work better. Preventative maintenance is your best action though. Don't scrape dishes into the drain. Scrape and wipe the dishes, pots, skillets, into the garbage so that what goes down the drain has as little food and grease as possible.

As far as a blocked grey tank, unless the tanks have been severely abused by not taking the preventative maintenance, other than construction debris it's hard to imagine normal grey tank "stuff" clogging it up.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
We have used dish washing liquid in the waste tanks to help clean them. Not packets but gel/liquid that is diluted and poured in. It seems to have good de-greasing and "wetting" agents and for us helped get the gunk out and make the level sensors work better. Preventative maintenance is your best action though. Don't scrape dishes into the drain. Scrape and wipe the dishes, pots, skillets, into the garbage so that what goes down the drain has as little food and grease as possible.

As far as a blocked grey tank, unless the tanks have been severely abused by not taking the preventative maintenance, other than construction debris it's hard to imagine normal grey tank "stuff" clogging it up.
Thank you, I think that the valve cable to come off and don't open the valve.Is not a easy job I did replace the black tank valve years ago after I got to open the underbelly.
buc1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:04 AM   #6

Hard to imagine a grey tank blockage. I have dropped a cheap off brand laundry pod into a bucket of water and poured into the grey tanks (along with 5 -10 gallons of water) before getting ready to move locations. Helps clean things. I also drop one in the black tank at the same time (not every time we move) just to help clean stuff out.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish