Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2019, 12:28 AM   #1

Evergreen Owners Club
Do As I Say Not As I Do? New Fifth Wheel

Disclosure, this may ramble a so apologies in advance.

So, after posting and telling everyone I know that wants to buy an RV:

1)Do extensive research
2)NEVER sign final paperwork until you have done a complete PDI
3)Don't buy at an RV show - unless your ordering it built, then see #2

What do I go and do?
I buy 2019 KZ Durango Gold 382MBQ at the Tampa RV show in January. Not only that, but a blind trade in on our Bayview for the actual show unit, and signed ALL the FINAL paper work to boot!!

I should note that it wasn't completely impulsive. This decision was made over a 2 day period at the show, and I was very familiar with KZ fifth wheels from our shopping for the Bayview. Liked them a lot, but out of budget at the time. Also, the seed was planted the previous year at the Tampa show when Camping World (Yes, I know) offered to pay what was then owed on the Bayview for new Heartland Gateway. I passed due to it being CW, and ultimately some things I did not like about the gateway, but did say to myself "next year if some other dealer offers to pay off my FW for one I like better, for $xxx dollars down, and can keep the payments the same, I'd do it". So I really was kind of looking at FW's all year.

After checking out a few toy haulers I came across the KZ display, and well they agreed to meet my conditions for purchase, and the rest is history as they say.

For you fans of thinking quality, if its any saving grace, the things that pushed me over the edge was a 2 inch steel subframe, and G rated tires.
The build date is 01-2019, and the dealer advised that it came directly from KZ to the show and no PDI was done on it yet. I was actually pretty impressed with the build quality given how many people must have gone through it over first few days at the show. interior speaking, it really looked like they took their time and everything looked really solid on this unit. That factored into me wanting this particular one.

I am happy to report that everything has gone exactly as planned so far. Dealer came and picked up the Bayview and there were no issues along the lines of re-appriasing, or not paying it off, and they have done their PDI, I have since been down there and done a full inspection of my own. I did find a couple small issues which they fixed. Its far to early to tell, but so far so good.

I will be going down in April to pick it up once the weather and salt clears and I can get my dually out.

I've attached a couple pics.
Thanks reading all this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190119_170232.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	239465   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190119_170456.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	239466  

ac5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2019, 03:59 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It looks pretty darn nice to me. I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from it.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:48 AM   #3

Congratulations on the new rig and enjoy!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:37 AM   #4

Awesome. I think I could get my motorcycle through the slider!!!!!!!
Old 03-26-2019, 01:32 PM   #5

Congratulations enjoy your new rig.
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:01 PM   #6

KZ RV Club
Looks like nice rig. My DW and I bought a 2019 380FLF last July and have been new full timers since then. Do note if it happens to have the LCI smart awning you will need to get it replaced. They tried fixing them on many units and finally decided after that failed to replace awning arms and just place manual controls inside. I’m scheduled for April 22 to get mine replaced along with couple minor issues. There is a decent owners forum online just search for KZ owners forum. Regards Ron
baranski37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:49 AM   #7

KZ RV Club
ac5501
I am assuming that you purchased from Optimum RV in Ocala. If you did you will be pleased. I did the exact same thing as you did at the Tampa RV show in 2017. I purchased a KZ Durango Gold G384RLT from them because they met all of my criteria for purchasing and trade in. They gave me 3x what my 13 year old 5th wheel was worth (it was in good condition). We did a 6 hour PDI with Jason from service, they corrected everything that was wrong (mostly housekeeping issues), installed a stackable washer dryer and I picked it up the following weekend. We have been living in it now for 2 years with only 1 minor problem a bad CO/propane detector. Can't say enough good things about KZ and Optimum RV.
jetzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:54 PM   #8

I've never seen a non-toy hauler w/ a rear patio like that. Super cool!

What's the cargo carrying capacity on it?
Old 03-27-2019, 02:58 PM   #9

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetzen View Post
ac5501
I am assuming that you purchased from Optimum RV in Ocala. If you did you will be pleased.
You are correct on both counts. So far, I have been very pleased with the process and results. They have been honest and upfront on everything agreed to - including verbal promises. There was not much pressure from a sales angle either. Very comfortable.

Totally the opposite of CW the previous year. Their rep was literally screaming at me for not signing the purchase agreement. Not exaggerating one bit.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:04 PM   #10

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by learntorv View Post
I've never seen a non-toy hauler w/ a rear patio like that. Super cool! What's the cargo carrying capacity on it?
Thanks. According to the sticker 2350# 15600#GVWR. Might be a little small for complete full timers, but should be more then enough for the usage we have planned for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190119_170258.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	239655  
Old 03-28-2019, 06:48 PM   #11

KZ RV Club
OK make it 3 of us. I had a Jayco Eagle & while in Quartzsite went to just look. Left a week later with the show demo. I was impressed with how well it held up up all the traffic. WA dealer had it and said either I sell or take it home, made a really good deal w/ more for my trade than I paid for it a couple years before. Welcome to the KZ, come visit us Home | KZ Family Forum
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel