Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #15

Mumu,
You mention RV sizes going up to 42 feet... And you mention you are a newbi? That being the case, just fyi...... The longer the unit, the more costly, and difficult it will be to drag it across the country. Imagine trying to maneuver a 42 footer through a congested area. No matter how well you plan ahead, figure it will happen. Also, the larger the unit, the fewer options for parking it. Alot of RV parks are limited in the sizes of units they can accomodate.
In your searching, it might be useful to try to get an idea of the minimum size that will meet your personal needs for comfort, and not stray too much from that. With RV's, bigger is not necessarily better. Just food for thought.
Also, here is a website that may be of interest to offer some help in choosing a good unit...
http://www.rvreviews.net/travel-trai...parison-guide/
I hope some of this is helpful and I hope you have safe travels!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck View Post
Mumu,
You mention RV sizes going up to 42 feet... And you mention you are a newbi? That being the case, just fyi...... The longer the unit, the more costly, and difficult it will be to drag it across the country. Imagine trying to maneuver a 42 footer through a congested area. No matter how well you plan ahead, figure it will happen. Also, the larger the unit, the fewer options for parking it. Alot of RV parks are limited in the sizes of units they can accomodate.
In your searching, it might be useful to try to get an idea of the minimum size that will meet your personal needs for comfort, and not stray too much from that. With RV's, bigger is not necessarily better. Just food for thought.
Also, here is a website that may be of interest to offer some help in choosing a good unit...
http://www.rvreviews.net/travel-trai...parison-guide/
I hope some of this is helpful and I hope you have safe travels!
I am aware of the size constraints. I had listed those as the type of floor plan that I like and did say that the La Mesa was too long. We do not want to go over 37' if possible. Shorter, closer to 35' would be even better. I believe that the Big Country was within that range.

Thanks for the link. That will be helpful for us!
MuMu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck View Post
No brainer....Quality!! Especially if you are considering full time. You will need the best quality you can afford for 4 season traveling. RV manufacturers have been playing around with floorplan variations forever. They know what works well. Rear kitchen, middle kitchen, etc. Each floorplan has it's benefits. None of them are any better/worse than the next. You will get used to it.
For me, quality and customer service from a dealer who has been in business many years tops the list. I know a few people who have purchased used and then made some minor changes to fit their needs/wants. Things like islands, dinettes, carpet, etc. are not that big a deal to change. Even a door may possibly be added.

We too are looking for a quality fifth, used, and I find that it takes a LOT of time to find the right one. I expect we will make some compromises along the way. Such is life.
Greytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuMu View Post
Thanks everyone, for your input!! We newbies need some sage advice by you experienced RVers!! I am beginning to see that quality should win out.

We prefer the floorplans with the island that does not have a sink it it. I love the floorplan of the Lifestyle LS35SB, which is out of the budget, as there are not any old enough. It is very close to the Carriage Cameo, but improved, in that the LS allows for a stackable washer and dryer whereas the Cameo only allowed for a combo unit.

My second favorite floorplan is the Heartland Big Country 3251TS....which is, what I have been told, not fulltime worthy. The Landmark Mesa is nice, but too long.

Another one, is the Palomino Columbus 420RK. I don't know if the Columbus line is fulltime worthy...

We found a 2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB in our price range but we do not like these things about it: It has a sink in the island. Also, there is no door between the bedroom and the living area. The plus side of the MS is that there is tons of storage.

We are also concerned about the weight of the rig. Do we really need something so heavy if we are fulltiming?
Definitely go with a quality rig. Once you own one you will appreciate the better frame, better insulation, better....I could go on and on.

But you must be happy with the floor plan, too. Center island - you might consider looking at floor plans in another light - would there be room to add a center island that is on lockable wheels? Wheels to roll it into position for closing the slides. I have heard of at least one couple who went this way and it worked great for them. Since you don't want a sink in the island you won't have to worry about figuring out plumbing for it.

Length - remember you will be full-timing so this will be your home. Think long and hard about what size will work for you. We currently have a 30-foot 5er and when we decide to full-time, our rig will be close to 40 feet long.

Weight - the better quality rigs are generally heavier. And, the longer the rig the more it will weigh. Why worry about the weight at this stage? You are looking for something to live in. After you decide on the 5er then you decide on the tow vehicle that will be needed.

Good luck and enjoy the search - it can be as much fun as buying.

Jim
Old 11-02-2013, 12:05 AM   #19

Have you seen these online? Meets your requirements that you listed here and is a well built unit.

2010 Cameo Lxi 36FWS for Sale - F134 - PPL Motor Homes

2011 Carriage Cameo 36FWS for Sale - F198 - PPL Motor Homes
Old 11-02-2013, 05:31 AM   #20

I was skeptic about our Big Country by Hartland 4 years ago. Never heard of the company but I joined the forum and read all night before closing the deal. It convinced me it was the right unit. It was the wife's layout choice and I accepted her desire and I approved of the frame and mostly the axle and tires. The deal was great and got our trade in value.
Plus side was that my F250 was capable to tow it and was combined weight within the Ford GCVW. Plus the trailer design and setup makes it easier to tow then the previous unit we towed for 13 years. Heartland makes a well balance unit that is both easy on the TV and great value.
I needed to make a few modifications to make it ours and we never regretted our move.

The last unit was 15 years old with over 100k miles with all the tire problems solved. No way I was going to accept less then 7k lbs axles that only Heartland had standard in our great price range. All others had heavier pin weights with 6k lbs axles and LR E Chinese ST tires.
The previous unit was Canadian made and the best there was at the time but nowhere as solide as the new BC. The tube frame was no match to the 12" I-Beam frame on the BC.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #21

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quality is a must, but if you don't like the floor plan you won't every get used to it.
Most people won't every be happy, ask my wife )
She loves the 2011 Cameo 37CKSLS. Also to us F/T size matters so
we went to a 38 foot, up from a 32.5. We have never had a problem of parking it in any park we been in.
Keep searching you'll find what you want. I think buying used is the way to go also.
BIG THUMBS UP!!!
Old 11-03-2013, 06:01 AM   #22

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I totally understand where you are coming from. I'm a quality over form followed by function before anything else. Also, I get the whole length thing, too.
It is for these reasons we purchased our 2011 Carriage Cameo 31ksls. We looked at it several times before realizing that it had more to offer in its shorter length than many of the longer rigs. We kept marking it off our list because the floor plan was not our favorite.
As it turns out, we have had it now for over 2 years. It is a great quality rig. It is shy of 33 feet long yet the entire front is a closet. PLUS, in the kitchen slide-out there is a closet for a side by side washer/dryer. The kitchen has just as many cabinets as many rigs larger.
You have to really scrutinize each aspect of the rig to realize some of these things. Good luck with your search - but quality gets my vote. Phillip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31KSLS.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	49153  
Old 11-03-2013, 06:14 AM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
I totally understand where you are coming from. I'm a quality over form followed by function before anything else. Also, I get the whole length thing, too.
It is for these reasons we purchased our 2011 Carriage Cameo 31ksls. We looked at it several times before realizing that it had more to offer in its shorter length than many of the longer rigs. We kept marking it off our list because the floor plan was not our favorite.
As it turns out, we have had it now for over 2 years. It is a great quality rig. It is shy of 33 feet long yet the entire front is a closet. PLUS, in the kitchen slide-out there is a closet for a side by side washer/dryer. The kitchen has just as many cabinets as many rigs larger.
You have to really scrutinize each aspect of the rig to realize some of these things. Good luck with your search - but quality gets my vote. Phillip
I didn't see that floor plan that is a good one.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #24

Thanks so much, everyone! We are getting some good ideas!
Old 11-17-2013, 02:26 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
I'd be very skeptical of any manufacturer who doesn't make their own frame. Most who don't use the Liepert frame. Just Google that name for problems-they are legion. Also check what they use for floor board-kboard, aspenite or the very strong plywood. Check the cabinets, are they real wood or 3/4 x 1" sticks with 1/8" panelling stapled to them. Is the finish real wood or photo finish. Stick your head in the basement services area-did they care to run the piping and wiring or was all the excess just bundled up and thrown in the belly-along with all the production garbage. A little effort on your part will save you big problems down the road.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #26

New Horizons Owners Club
Why not have both Quality and floor plan. New Horizon builds each unit for the owner and will due almost anything you need. They build their own frames strong enough to hang Honda Goldwing off the back. They are a true custom builder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	035 (640x427).jpg
Views:	121
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	50143  
JPFretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFretired View Post
Why not have both Quality and floor plan. New Horizon builds each unit for the owner and will due almost anything you need. They build their own frames strong enough to hang Honda Goldwing off the back. They are a true custom builder.
I did call them. They were $180K...a long way away from what we want to spend.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #28

Have you looked at any Redwoods? We spend winters in ours and no problems. Mine does have the sink in the peninsula (which I prefer) but some floors plans don't.
Merry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality