Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2015, 12:19 PM   #1

Do I need a slider hitch?

We're moving up to a 5th wheel from a TT. So this is a new experience for me. Looking at a new Forest River Sandpiper 371 REBH. Towing with a 2015 Dodge Ram 3500 mega cab SRW short bed. So far everyone I speak to can only guess. Anyone have experience with a similar set up? The dodge hasn't changed in several years and it seems like all the newer sandpipers use the same curved front cap.
jjvallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2015, 12:31 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I had a Ford F250 Short Wheel base and I had a slider hitch. I only had to slide it a few times in the 10 years I owned it. It really comes in handy in tight spots but if you plan your trips you will probably be ok. If you can afford it I would spend the few dollars more and get the slider hitch. Without it, in a tight spot you take the chance of damaging the front corner of your 5er OR dinging your truck behind the rear door . It can be done with out it though if you have a spotter and maneuver a few more times to get in and out of a tight spot. Hope this helps.
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:41 PM   #3

I have a 2015 3500 drw mega short bed, and a B&W rvk3600 hitch (non slider ), and I have a Landmark 365. It all works good.

I also towed a Montana 375 with a 2014 Ram 2500 crew cab short bed. It had the B&W turnover hitch (non slider) and that worked fine also.

Most of the new 5th wheel pin boxes that come with the trailers are mounted pretty far forward, so people can use the trucks that have short beds. You probably won't be able to do a 90° turn, but maybe an 88°.

It's been working for us, your mileage may very, depending who you talk to, but I've had 2 5th wheels, and 2 short beds, and they both worked fine.

If in doubt get a slider, and be done with it.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:55 PM   #4

Only time I believed what came out of a salesman 's mouth was when he told me you can't figure out your TV hitch and FW pin requirements unless you hook up. I thought my shortbed F350 and the corner cutouts on my signature FW would stiil allow a 90° cut without sliding; WRONG!
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:15 PM   #5

The guy I bought my trailer from had an F250 short bed - he also had a slider but I don't think it worked for him as BOTH sides of his cab were mashed pretty badly. I got the slider with the trailer and found the thing wouldn't slide so I bought a Demco Hijacker autoslide. On our first trip we were in Wyoming digging fossils when I took a wrong turn in town and ended up on a narrow road with no way out except to turn around, which I did and had at least 90°, perhaps a bit more. After we got out of that mess I told my wife that the Autoslide just paid for itself! I have it in my F250 supercab shortbed.

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:58 PM   #6

A slider is one of those things... It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
2014 Grand Design Solitude, 369RL, #107
2016 Chevy 3500HD, SRW, Diesel/Allison
Gsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:55 PM   #7

Yes you do.
Iowa6.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:30 AM   #8

The answer to your question, with the set up you are describing, is no you do not need a slider.
Jammer's reply is spot on.
becken6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:46 AM   #9

We had a 1999 29' Jayco that we pulled with a truck with 8' bed and I had to be careful not to cut too much when backing up. Never hit the back of the cab, but came close a couple of times.
When we bought a new truck with 6'6" bed, I was told we had to have a slider hitch, so I gave away the old hitch with the old truck and shelled out $800 for a slider and installation. Well, we also upgraded to a newer 5th wheel which has the front corners contoured. That makes a lot of difference. I have not yet moved the slider hitch, and have my doubts that I will ever have to.
My advice would be to try the non-sliding hitch in a few backing/parking situations (maybe at a superstore parking lot), and see if you actually need a slider before spending the extra money.

Keep rollin' along!
2009 Cardinal 31SB; 2014 Silverado 2500 HD Crew Cab with Curt 16K Rolling Hitch
jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:25 AM   #10

I just watched a 5er break out the back window of his truck by trying to make too tight of a turn into a parking spot. He had a slider and did not use it until after the fact. I did not know those things existed until now. I might invest in the slider as I'll bet the window is more than $800.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:25 PM   #11

Our previous combination was a 2011 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab with a stationary Pullrite 18k super5th hitch, pulling a 2012 39-foot Heartland Big Horn.When new, the cap on the Big Horn advertised an 88-degree turning radius; and the cap did have a notable curvature.Apparently, I was turning the rig and managed an 89-degree turn while turning the rig around in a storage lot.I dinged the passenger side cab near the back window.Didn’t realize it for several hours while washing the RV and truck at the storage site.
This last fall, we traded for our new combination rig, the 43-foot Trilogy and the DRW Ram;this time, I have the Pullrite superglide 24k slider hitch.It was an outrageous price, but boy, do I really like it. This hitch moves back and forward with virtually every turn we make.It operates automatically, and quietly.With our previous 2011 Ram/2012 Big Horn combo, I always told myself I would be cautious making turns.But that one moment that I got preoccupied while washing the RV,I did get lucky that I only dinged the truck cab a little, and didn’t crack the cap on the Big Horn.Sign me up for the slider.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:25 PM   #12

Just to update anyone interested...I ended up going with the B&W RVK3600 which fits the factory pucks. It is a non-sliding hitch. I have it set to just one inch to the rear of the axle. I can make a 80 degree turn and still have about 3" between the trailer and cab. Obviously I did this in a flat parking lot, so pitches in terrain may prove otherwise. I think I was more worried about the tires separating from the rims in such a drastic turn. They were contorted a lot.

Anyways, I am more than happy with the set up. It tows flawlessly.
jjvallee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide