Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2021, 03:05 AM   #1

Do I need to pull out my slideout? Help!

Alright, so here's what I'm dealing with. I have a 29ft 1994 Alpenlite DL that I bought to live in full time and I am currently repairing. I have gotten to a point where I am at a loss. I need to get the carpet out from under the slide out, and I had water damage right next to it that likely goes under the slide-out as well. You can see I already got out a good bit of the subfloor that was damaged. I need to pull the carpet out to look under there and see how bad it is under, but again, don't think I can do that without removing the whole slide-out. FML! What do I do? I know the answer is take out the slide-out, but I want it to not be so I'm asking anyway lol. How do I go about removing the slide-out safely? Please give me any advice, send me any helpful guides and videos, and remind me to never buy a 5th wheel again lol. If anyone can tell me how to get the carpet out first without removing the slide-out, Ill love you forever. Sincerely, a 19 year old girl that is in over her head. (:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slideout.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	328042   Click image for larger version

Name:	slideout2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	328043  

Azsnakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2021, 03:43 AM   #2

You might be getting over your head on this one.

I suggest you find an independent RV mechanic to look over your rig and give you advice.

Pulling the slide for inspection would probably require use of a fork lift.

Educated eyes may help you solve your problem first. And they're certainly cheaper than a dealer's $150 per hour for service help.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:39 AM   #3

Yes, you need to pull out the slide, as I said in your other thread.

Pull off the facia boards, they come off easy. Only held on with some light brads.
Then unscrew the backing boards behind them.

More than likely you have a mechanical slide and it will move the slide out past the edge of the wall once you remove the stop bolt.
Block up the inside edge of the slide floor on the slide rails so it doesn't drop when it comes off the edge of the main floor.

I've done several campers like this and it's not that complicated.
See the pic below of our last 5ver.

Do you have a screw gun (not a drill) and a staple/finish nailer?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slideout - Copy.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	328046   Click image for larger version

Name:	sp1 - Copy.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	311.0 KB
ID:	328047  

Old 05-12-2021, 05:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
You might be getting over your head on this one.

I suggest you find an independent RV mechanic to look over your rig and give you advice.

Pulling the slide for inspection would probably require use of a fork lift.

Educated eyes may help you solve your problem first. And they're certainly cheaper than a dealer's $150 per hour for service help.
Haha I was mostly joking. Im not totally in over my head, its just my first big purchase/ project. Luckily, I have a dad with experience and every tool you can think of to help! (:
Old 05-12-2021, 05:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
Yes, you need to pull out the slide, as I said in your other thread.

Pull off the facia boards, they come off easy. Only held on with some light brads.
Then unscrew the backing boards behind them.

More than likely you have a mechanical slide and it will move the slide out past the edge of the wall once you remove the stop bolt.
Block up the inside edge of the slide floor on the slide rails so it doesn't drop when it comes off the edge of the main floor.

I've done several campers like this and it's not that complicated.
See the pic below of our last 5ver.

Do you have a screw gun (not a drill) and a staple/finish nailer?
Okay, so how do I remove the stop bolt? Is there any guide you know of to help me with that? And you're saying once I do that, I can just press the button and slide it out past the wall, do the repairs, then press it to move it back in? (with supports under it). That sounds too easy so I'm assuming I'm misunderstanding lol. I will remove the boards tomorrow. I really appreciate your help. And yes, I have my dads help and he has every tool in the book.

Also what do you mean block up the inside edge of the slide floor? You mean just place supports outside as close to the body as possible so it does lower when it slides out? Sorry to ask you to spell it out for me, I'm sure my pops would understand this without question, but I'm trying to learn for myself. (:

I've had an especially hard time since its not a flush slide out. Everyone with any video/ advice on this has a flush slide out!
Old 05-12-2021, 09:34 AM   #6

Search for Ernie Ekberg here and on Facebook. He's the expert on replacing floors. He says it's unnecessary to remove the slide. He just tilts it back somehow.
emcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee View Post
Search for Ernie Ekberg here and on Facebook. He's the expert on replacing floors. He says it's unnecessary to remove the slide. He just tilts it back somehow.
I tried that. No luck. Lol
Old 05-12-2021, 11:50 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you tried bringing the slide in a few inches so the top will tip out and block the floor up to work in that space?
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:06 AM   #9

Here's one way:
emcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:51 PM   #10

What I've herd a forum member say he saw at the Newmar factory is that they run the slide out, block the top of the slide from the slide flange to the side of the coach, bring the slide in a few inches which lifts the floor of the slide up so you can get to the coach floor under the floor of the slide.

Tags
slide, slideout