Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2018, 06:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
What would you do if while hitch'n back up if the pin wasn't at the correct height?.....Be push'n the trailer .....same with un-hitch'n...it's your tailgate...
Um, wouldn't you stop and adjust the height of the pin?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2018, 07:06 PM   #16

Ever heard of high hitch'n?
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:02 PM   #17

Yes, I have, but if you back up to the pin and adjust accordingly that is a tough thing to do. You need to do more than just ram the pin and hope for the best.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:31 PM   #18

Do I really need wheel chocks?

Chocks are cheap, easy insurance. Good lord, they're $15 a pair and only take the time to walk around your rig to deploy-- use 'em.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:48 AM   #19

Basic safety. Think of it as getting out of your truck in neutral, no parking brake set.
Might work well most of the time in ideal level parking lots.... Your trailer has no parking brake. Believe us, those smooth steel pads on the landing gear will slide on many surfaces. Parked leveling and stability are totally separate issues.
The stoutest models at Harbor Freight are cost effective.
Wheel chocks, should be the first thing down, last thing up.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:37 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In the class A side of RVing, since we normally don't carry wheel chocks, the basic rule regarding the use of jacks/levelers is always keep a rear wheel in firm contact with the ground for parking brake action. Very rare to find a coach with jacks that can't get all wheels hanging in the air at the same time.

Should the rig slip with the jacks down you'll probably bend a jack. Once bent they don't retract. To get the rig back on the road will require removing the problem cylinder from the chassis frame. Not a simple task when there's a couple of tons of coach weight on the problem jack. Repairs usually require replacement at a couple $$$ per cylinder so the incentive to conform is pretty compelling.

As MtnTrek posted - "Wheel chocks, should be the first thing down, last thing up."
Old 04-27-2018, 05:22 AM   #21
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I think you just mis understood. You must have "Wheel" chocks to keep the trailer from moving when unhooking and hooking the hitch. You can bend the leveling jacks without them or worse watch your camper slide down the hill. X chocks are not for holding the rv in place they are strictly for stabilizing movement in the rv after leveling. Some people will say they use them for wheel chocks and they may work for that but it isn't what they are designed for. Wheel chocks are required X chocks are your choice. My 5'er doesn't need the X-chocks.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:39 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Not clear on what you are asking....wheel chocks or x-chocks, or both?

I use both, X-chocks take some movement out of the front-to-back motion.

Wheel chocks for no unintended travel once disconnected. Always.
Either X-chocks, wheels chocks or both. I have neither right now and it seems OK.

Thanks.
Oderus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:41 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
Well, you unhook to level. What if on incline. Might roll away.
That's a fair point but I'm also told that the ground can't be too uneven to begin with. Not sure how many campsites are so unlevel I'd be concerned with my RV rolling away.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:43 AM   #24

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpierrie View Post
ALWAYS use wheel chocks. Put wheel chocks in place BEFORE you unhitch and leave them in place until you re-hitch. Every time, no matter how level. Period end of discussion.

Regarding X-Chocks; this is optional; some folks find they help prevent movement. I have them, they helped quite a bit on my travel trailer. My fiver with six point leveling is pretty stable without them. As others have said, I will put them on if I am staying a week or more. Honestly, if I didn't already have them from my TT days, I wouldn't get them now.
Thanks for the detailed response. I'll get the basic wheel chocks and not bother with the x-chocks.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:47 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
To me it's kind of like asking if you need a helmet when riding a motorcycle, do you need a life jacket while you're water skiing. I know some people don't. It's about risk and reducing chances for bad outcomes. Why wouldn't you?
Well, because the RV dealer said I didn't need them. That didn't sound right so I'm asking the experts. I don't see how the motorcycle helmet analogy works here as I do ride a motorcycle but either way, I've learned something and that was my goal. There are basic wheel chocks and x-chocks. If you have a 4 or 6 point auto-leveling system, it sounds like the x-chocks aren't required, as my RV dealer said but I DO need the regular wheel chocks to prevent the RV from moving around.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:48 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrek View Post
Basic safety. Think of it as getting out of your truck in neutral, no parking brake set.
Might work well most of the time in ideal level parking lots.... Your trailer has no parking brake. Believe us, those smooth steel pads on the landing gear will slide on many surfaces. Parked leveling and stability are totally separate issues.
Thank you very much.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:50 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
As MtnTrek posted - "Wheel chocks, should be the first thing down, last thing up."
Bingo. That's my new rule. Thanks everyone.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:44 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrek View Post
Well this is true for most units but mine does have a parking brake. I have air over hydraulic disc. When I break the air connection, the brakes engage. I have to bleed system down to release them. Simple pet cock.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote