Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #1

Do You Use A Water Pressure Regulator?

When I install the water pressure regulator my water pressure is a trickle. I was told by the salesman to always us the regulator.

Do you ALWAYS use a water regulator?
Mike
mmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes I always use an adjustable regulator, not a restrictor

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmasters View Post
When I install the water pressure regulator my water pressure is a trickle. I was told by the salesman to always us the regulator.

Mike
Invest in an adjustable regulator with built in pressure gauge. We set ours to 45psi.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmasters View Post

Mike
Yes but an adjustable one. Do not use one of those pre-set models, it is a restrictor and you will suffer low water pressure. Adjust to 45 psi and you will be OK.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #5

I have one that you can regulate the pressure up or down. Seems like most Campgrounds have the correct pressure but I always let the 60 pound rule be in effect, then adjust after turning the water on.
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #6

Thank you for the quick responses, I will be going out tomorrow to purchase one.

Thank you to all who responded

Mike
mmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #7

Watts and Valterra regulators work well. They are adjustable, with guages
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #8

We never use one. It is an age--dependent thing. The RV has all water lines accessible, and they are PEX, frost proof and high burst pressure. Older units and those with concealed plumbing may arrive at a a different answer.
Terry Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Will new RV's withstand 100 pound plus pressure? In one Park in Canada they had signs saying water pressure was 150 pounds. I wouldn't take the chance!

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:45 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
All of the cheap inline or barrel type "regulators" will regulate, but the orifice in them is so small it is really a restrictor. Head down to your Ace Hardware of big box hardware store and get a whole house regulator that is adjustable and has a pressure gauge. You will probably have to visit the pipe fittings area as well and get some hose end fittings.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:20 AM   #11

I believe that no matter what kind of pressure regulator you use, they all have to restrict the flow to reduce the pressure. The ones with the gauges simply shows the pressure it regulates at. It too has a variable orifice.
Brqyvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brqyvn View Post
I believe that no matter what kind of pressure regulator you use, they all have to restrict the flow to reduce the pressure. The ones with the gauges simply shows the pressure it regulates at. It too has a variable orifice.
It is true that at the regulated pressure the valve becomes a restrictor. However, if campground pressure is 45 pounds and your regulator is set to 50 pounds, you will get unrestricted flow. The little RV ones are just restrictors at all pressures.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:21 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The difference between flow as measure in gallons per minute (gpm) and pressure as measured in pounds per square inch (psi) have been discussed many times.

For a good explanation and selection of regulators and all things RV water related - see rvwaterfilterstore.com

And here specifically for regulators.
http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/Pr...m#PressureInfo

My personal analogy of flow is filling and emptying a swimming pool with a garden hose vs a fire hose. Both may have the same static pressure of say 60 psi - but one will do the job better. The difference being rate of flow in gpm.

Read what the link has to say and make up your mind on which regulator suits you. I recommend an adjustable, higher gpm model. YMMV - but at least understand the variables and what you are getting for you hard earned dollars.
RVM2 -- Steve and Annie --
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:41 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The problem with the little cheapo water pressure regulators is that the fixed orifice is too small...it is about the size of a small pencil. Even wide open, the opening is too small to pass much flow unless you have a lot of pressure behind it. The larger regulators have a larger fixed orifice, so it can pass more water with a lower pressure behind it.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water