Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2005, 06:08 PM   #1

Ive got a 2005 2500 with the stock class 4 recvr. I need to upgrade to class 5 because my toybox has a heavy tongue weight. What are my options? I dont want a huge hitch hanging down lower thean my stock one. Also what to do about the stock hitch to bumper connections if I take off the stock hitch. What have you dodge owners done about this?
Ctimrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2005, 06:08 PM   #2

Ive got a 2005 2500 with the stock class 4 recvr. I need to upgrade to class 5 because my toybox has a heavy tongue weight. What are my options? I dont want a huge hitch hanging down lower thean my stock one. Also what to do about the stock hitch to bumper connections if I take off the stock hitch. What have you dodge owners done about this?
Old 07-11-2005, 11:56 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
First, welcome to iRV2.com. We're glad you found us!

HERE is a thread over on the TDR (Turbodiesel Registry) where this Class V/3rd Generation issue is being discussed. It appears Putnam may have a solution. Hope this helps....

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 04:16 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply Rusty! That is my thread, I was just wondering if anyone here had any "special" input .

I am really confused now on what to do. It seems my weight issue is not as bad as others have made it seem. What do you think?

I bought and used a trailer tongue weight scale. My unloaded tongue weight for my trailer is 1350 lbs. My wife weighs 125 lbs and she went to the front most portion of the inside of the trailer and the tongue weight went up to 1400 lbs. There was also a little less than 1/3 fresh water in it, with the fresh water tank being right in front of the axles. My 20 gallon generator tank is also empty which is behind the axles, so with this full it would help lessen the tongue weight a bit.

I am using 1400 lb. WD bars as well. Do I need to upgrade to a class 5 hitch? I was under the impression from others that my tongue weight may have been as high as 1700 lbs., but that is not the case. What do you guys think?
Old 07-12-2005, 03:31 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
What's the WD rating on your factory Class IV - is it 1200/12000 (our 2nd gen receiver is 1000/10000, but I understand the 3rd gen ratings were upgraded).

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 04:00 AM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Yes the weight rating for the 3rd gen is 1200/12000. Some people say that the ratings are consertive, but by how much I do not know. That is the problem, you do not know at what weight they would fail. I start thinking about that when I am on a very rough road and the hitch is taking a pounding from the TT. I am right at 1200 hitch weight on my TT so I puled my weight distrubition up one more chain link to transfer more weight to the front and take some off of the hitch. You can't go wrong by following the mfg weight limits. It sounds to me like you would need to go to the class V hitch for safety and peice of mind.

Bill