Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2015, 11:54 AM   #1

Does your 5th wheel hitch make noise?

I have lots of experience with bumper pulls and know about all the creaking and noise you get from the hitches. Even my last bumper pull with a Propride made noises. Since this is my first 5er was just wondering the noise level you are experiencing if any. I have a Reese Revolution pin box with a 16k Reese Pro hitch. Some noise mostly on turns but wondering if it's normal.
Clicker1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2015, 02:35 PM   #2

We have a MorRyde pinbox hooked to a B&W companion so ours probably isn't comparable, but I don't notice any noise. Smooooth sailing.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:23 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have an auto-slider and it does make a bit of noise.. Can't adjust all the play out of it. So you can occasionally hear it shift. Some mind "creaking" when turning as the gears engage.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clicker1944 View Post
I have lots of experience with bumper pulls and know about all the creaking and noise you get from the hitches. Even my last bumper pull with a Propride made noises. Since this is my first 5er was just wondering the noise level you are experiencing if any. I have a Reese Revolution pin box with a 16k Reese Pro hitch. Some noise mostly on turns but wondering if it's normal.
I have a 5th Airborne extended pin box and the Reese Signature Series Hitch for 6 years. With the correct amount of air in the bladder of the pin box and the hitch lubricated properly you should hear very little. With a "basic" pin box you will hear more loud noises from banging and chucking. Started out with the basic pin box and would never go back.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:32 PM   #5

ZERO noise ZERO slop. B&W RVK3600 and TrailAire with TriGlide.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurg View Post
We have a MorRyde pinbox hooked to a B&W companion so ours probably isn't comparable, but I don't notice any noise. Smooooth sailing.

We have the same setup and zero noise, nothing. We use a teflon plate and I grease the pin where it meets the jaws. There's also a grease zerk at the bottom of the hitch.
KerrTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTx View Post
We have the same setup and zero noise, nothing. We use a teflon plate and I grease the pin where it meets the jaws. There's also a grease zerk at the bottom of the hitch.
X2 for the grease on the pin plus the Teflon plate (disk).
Old 08-13-2015, 06:30 AM   #8

Forgot to mention I'm also using the Teflon plate.

Are you guys running a high-pressure style grease or just a simple automotive lithium grease? This first go around I used lithium grease based on the dealers suggestion, but on the post-trip inspection it appears that the grease was, in my best technical description, "mashed out." Our shop foreman recommended the high-pressure grease that we use on our 22-wheelers. Based on the ride it doesn't seem that any effectiveness was lost, but I'm gonna clean all of it out and try something different (see below) next time.

http://www.chevronlubricants.com/en_...l#.VcyNp4pOLCQ
Old 08-13-2015, 06:49 AM   #9
IC2

It seems that some hitch combos will chuck and clatter no matter what you do to them. Even our B&W hooked on the Ford 5th wheel pucks will on occasion make some noise. Usually that means the attaching cams need a little tightening as they do seem to loosen after some miles. Other then that, it's been a quiet hitch.

If you have creaking and groaning, you might want to look at the rail to bed/truck chassis bolting. And lube - I just use the usual Dexter recommended wheel bearing grease which is the lithium complex high temp Mystick - it sticks to about anything and stays there
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:59 AM   #10

Quote:
We have the basic Reese 16k jaws hitch with a Tri-glide. With plate and grease it groans when making turns. With the windows closed, you really don't hear it much. With it open, sure, you can hear it.

I have traveling many years, been around many trailers when they are parking in spots. Not noticed one that didn't make any noise. So you are not alone. I have not found it bad enough to spend 500 to 1500 to replace with another system that "doesn't make any noise".
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedone View Post
We have the basic Reese 16k jaws hitch with a Tri-glide. With plate and grease it groans when making turns. With the windows closed, you really don't hear it much. With it open, sure, you can hear it.

I have traveling many years, been around many trailers when they are parking in spots. Not noticed one that didn't make any noise. So you are not alone. I have not found it bad enough to spend 500 to 1500 to replace with another system that "doesn't make any noise".
That sounds like it describes what I'm getting, I can't hear it with the windows closed either. I use lithium grease because Reese says not to use a teflon pad with the Revolution because it will not hook up properly. I usually add grease everytime I tow especially on both sides of the wedge. I'm also with you on not wanting to buy another hitch since this setup tows great. I also wipe off the old grease on the flat surfaces and reapply every few trips too. I just wanted assurance that I wasn't experiencing noise that no one else had. Chucking has not really been a problem,
Clicker1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:04 AM   #12

Quote:
That sounds like it describes what I'm getting, I can't hear it with the windows closed either. I use lithium grease because Reese says not to use a teflon pad with the Revolution because it will not hook up properly. I usually add grease everytime I tow especially on both sides of the wedge. I'm also with you on not wanting to buy another hitch since this setup tows great. I also wipe off the old grease on the flat surfaces and reapply every few trips too. I just wanted assurance that I wasn't experiencing noise that no one else had. Chucking has not really been a problem,
Sounds like you have all the bases covered. I don't grease enough. Your statements got me to go out and do it again.

Glad you are not having problems with chucking. Mine was a bear until I traded out my trailair for the tri glide.
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedone View Post

Personally I have seen too many of these. So I would spend the money and the bonus would be a quiet hitch.

Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:21 AM   #14

I run the Companion with the B&W turnover ball. Quiet, not noise at all.
glenalt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, noise