Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2019, 03:56 PM   #1

Downsizing to Truck Camper

We've now ended our full time travels in our 42ft 5th wheel midbunk and would like to downsize to a TC. Going to the TC for the ability to tow a boat. I know you can behind the 5th, but in Texas I'd be a few ft over the 65ft limit, plus I just don't want to tow a train like that. I realize the difference in space will be great but I think the TC is the better fit for our new short trips along with new adventures in boating. Anyone done something similar and is there anything you'd do differently?
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2019, 05:24 AM   #2

Here's what a lot of members have said about this in the past:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Truc...earch=irv2.com
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:12 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
We had a Lance truck camper. Wife never could get used to taking a shower while sitting on the toilet bwhahaha I also hated the dinette as it killed my tail in about 1/2 hour. The truck camper also has less interior space and this would cause condensation in cold weather with a heater on. Problem is, the condensation would form on the metal frame of the escape hatch over the bed and drip on me all night. Since you have a burly truck to haul the huge 5ver, a bigger truck top camper might be a great way to travel. Get the electric jack things so you don't have to crank as you will want to drive out from under the camper if you are somewhere for awhile. The Lance we had had a residential KING mattress that that was a great and other than the few drawbacks (especially the shower for my wife), we had a lot of fun and enjoyed it. I think we are in a 5ver now because of that darn shower!
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:16 PM   #4

Haha yes I understand the shower will be interesting. The condensation is an interesting problem. I'm actually surprised to hear that. We're going to an RV show in Austin in February so we'll get a good feel for space and if it will even work for us. Thanks for the feedback
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:40 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have both a TC and a fifth wheel. The space in a fifth wheel is nice a a TC takes some getting used to. IMHO the new Host Cascade would be the only TC I would consider if we were to downsize.

https://youtu.be/sGR4Z0CznT8
Old 01-22-2019, 04:52 PM   #6

We now have a 3000 series Bigfoot truck camper, took a long time to find it, finally a real shower. We have both a fifth wheel, currently set up at the lake. The TC we use for travelling, so much easier. Mind you we are not yet full time RV ing, but if the weather is crappy for a long while it will be cramped. We have mostly camped with a TC, over 30 years and have always enjoyed it. It will be hard to go to a smaller space. I don't know if you can buy Bigfoot brand in the states, it's Canadian made.
As far as condensation goes, buy those white pellets that collect moisture, I've totally forgotten what they are called, dry air I think. Work great.
Rubirose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:00 PM   #7

Might look at Taylors YouTube page, he lives in his TC Full Time in Canada. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYz...0S_JVYkZx5UAFQ
MorganT69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:09 PM   #8

Have you considered towing a boat behind a Class B or C ?
Old 01-27-2019, 12:56 PM   #9

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I finally got to see in person the Host Mammoth at the Tamps RV Super Show a few weeks ago. Incredibly ingenious. Loved it. Build quality looked good and it was so well thought out. I'd love to have one.
https://binged.it/2RPMin2