Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2015, 11:40 AM   #1

DRV Mobile Suite vs Augusta Luxe

Just thinking about a new 5th wheel and have narrowed the list down to either a MS or a Luxe. Wondering what others out there think about this comparison?
donnandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2015, 01:54 PM   #2

Drv has been in business since about 2004 and make a good quality unit, good frames, 3 1/4" insulated walls (including slides) and pretty good factory support. We've owned 2 of them and would buy another. I've never heard of an Augusta Luxe, who makes it?
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:39 PM   #3

I would lean toward the Luxe. I think DRV is going down in quality since they are now owned by Thor.

The Luxe sure reads like it is a top quality rig.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:44 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by missourijan View Post
I've never heard of an Augusta Luxe, who makes it?
Augusta builds the Luxe. Augusta RV - Luxury Fifth Wheel Manufacturer

Impressive read so far. Can't wait to hear how they are in a year or 2. We are running out of options for higher end, full time 5er's.

I agree that DRV makes (dare to say made) a great unit, but I am concerned now that they've sold to Heartland/Thor Industries. I think we can only see the quality go down now - MOHO.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:53 PM   #5

I'd also have to consider customer service after the sale into the equation. Sorry, have no advise on which company is better in terms of that.
mds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:27 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
We had the same quandary.
We spent hours with the reps at the 2015 Tampa Super Show.
We went with DRV, ES Houston. Luxe would have been much less expensive, but given that DRV has been around for a long time, and Augusta Luxe has not, we went with an established entity.
Much has been said about the Thor piece of DRV, but given our experience with Kyle Miller, GM for DRV, and their customer service, we went with DRV.
I do believe that if Luxe has the ability to hang in there they will have a great product.
We previously owned a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star for 10 years. We wanted something of the same quality. Given that, today we are new DRV owners.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:19 AM   #7

Augusta is a relatively small RV company, and they're trying to make it in a very difficult segment--luxury, high dollar fifth wheels. Look at the following address and you'll see that their dealers are in the upper Midwest and not all over the U.S.: Augusta RV Dealer Locater - Augusta RV

DRV is an established and popular brand of high quality fifth wheels. To go to any higher level RV, you'd be buying a custom built unit that's even more expensive. And DRV resale values and dealer base is already established.

DRV's #1 dealership in single store sales is RVsForLess.net in Knoxville, and he has an impeccable reputation.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:30 AM   #8

DRV rep returned my call at eight pm last night to give an update on our order. I was impressed.

As far as the Thor acquisition goes, I was nervous about that as well but there was no real competition that I could see. Lifestyle was close, and I hadn't heard of Luxe. Besides, I can't imagine Thor bought a thriving company just to ruin it.

2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn CC LB Dually. Cummins, Aisin, 4X4, 4.10 gears. Max towing-28,750. Max payload-5,436. 2016 DRV Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 on order.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:42 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
I would like to see some Proof that Thor has affected the quality of the brands that they have bought. Something that the poster has actually seen and not heard from a friend's father's best friend.

Thor is a holding company. They buy profitable companies, so why would they do something to affect them to make them unprofitable? Just common sense, leave them alone and it make you money...
Old 07-14-2015, 01:03 PM   #10

Not always the case but Ioften times the 'Bean Counting Company' Thor only looks for profit. Sooner or later they will start cost cutting to increase that profit. It is only business.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:56 PM   #11

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Not always the case but Ioften times the 'Bean Counting Company' Thor only looks for profit. Sooner or later they will start cost cutting to increase that profit. It is only business.
I agree completely. They count the beans and get rid of the ones that can be replaced with cheaper beans. I had not known that Thor had acquired Heartland, but if that is the case, I see now why Heartland quality control has suffered. I was ready to buy a 3570 Bighorn but stopped short after reading on their owners forum about the tremendous amount of warranty work. I want a 5th to use not sit at the dealer or at the new 12 bay Heartland service center at the factory.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:37 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
And yet still no documented proof...
Old 07-19-2015, 10:11 AM   #13

JayC if you want proof that Thor has ruined quality RVs in the passed ask any newly purchased Airstream owner...Thor/Heartland bought them out a few years ago and are producing very poor product with the Airstream name plate on it...
suiteowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:05 AM   #14

the Luxe sure looks nice in the pictures. There is a dealer just south of Dallas, and the DW wants to stop in a look at them next week when we go through there. our Dutchmen Komfort TT is a Thor product and the quality is decent overall. We have looked at a number of 5ers to be our next RV but it seems that every brand has their particular strengths and weaknesses.
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote