Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2019, 04:56 PM   #15
IC2

An F250 has a max GVWR of 10,000 pounds. Virtually every 5er outside of some of the 'Lite' versions will exceed that weight on the truck.
If it is a CC long bed, the truck will weigh in at over 8000 pounds with fluids, etc. Add you, mom, the kids, dogs, hitch, a bed full of whatever, you might have a pin load capacity of 1000 pounds.

The question you will now ask - will my 6.7 powered truck haul a 12,000 trailer, 2500 pound hitch weight. Absolutely. Will it do that job safely - maybe. Will it do it legally - nope, though I have been doing it since 2011 as my truck by acual part numbers has a 12,100 pound suspension and I will continue to haul our 5er, this sites weight police not withstanding
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2019, 12:04 AM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by halvo View Post
Hello all!

As I'm sure this topic has been driven into the ground...I still cannot seem to get a simple, straight forward answer.

I'm going to try to pose the question as I understand it and hopefully someone can explain it to me as if I'm 5 years old.

I have a 2013 Ford F250 SD 6.7L FX4, no special towing package that I am aware of. I am looking at 5th Wheel THs. I have had a TT in the past (pulled with an Excursion) and now own a C-Class. The Diesel and 5th Wheel thing is new to me, but very interesting after now owning the other two.

Anyway...from what I can figure out, my truck has a maximum loaded trailer weight rating of 15,900 lbs (according to the spec sheet from Ford). As I'm looking at 5th Wheels, I want to make sure I'm looking at the right number when trying to figure out if I can pull it (confidently and safely).

So...I see Dry Weight numbers, I see GVWR/GAWR numbers, and then the UVW...not to mention hitch weight, etc. Can anyone draw me a picture with stick figures and simple numbers to figure out what I should or should not do?

I honestly feel stupid asking, as I have researched, read forums, asked around...etc. And I feel like I've still got questions.

Here's an obvious example of what I see when shopping around:

Thanks a lot!

Chris

A 16k GVWR fifth wheel will have a minimum of 3200# of pin weight and that’s only 20%, on the low side, and your truck doesn’t have that much payload capacity without even looking at any other numbers! You can go to a scale and get your actual payload. I did that with two different trucks and they were both less than what the door sticker showed, one by 200 and the other by 450 pounds. If you can’t rush out and get a bigger truck look at a lighter trailer!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight