Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2018, 11:22 PM   #29

Energy Management System, they come in several varieties, models, features.
Example: https://www.rvupgradestore.com/RV-En...p/emshw30c.htm
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2018, 12:15 AM   #30

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrek View Post
All it takes is one time of a campground wiring issue to learn the lesson well...
WELL WORTH the cost vs replacing electronic's/fridge/computers/TV's and stereos ..and then there are electronic boards for the hot water/leveling system/....TOILET !
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:14 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Many parks have old and outdated electrical hookups and during peak usage, mostly triple digit temp days, power can sag. As has already been pointed out, your camper's electrics will be the point of failure. Progressive Industries sells a 50A unit on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I...pSrc=srch&th=1

They also sell an inside unit which you wire up near your power converter; it is less expensive. Many owners use the outdoor unit so they can just take it with them if they sell.
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:39 AM   #32

I never had dual pane windows on my travel trailers but I would have liked to have had them to avoid having condensation on the windows when camping in cool weather. I strongly disagree with the comment that they are only needed for camping in extreme cold temps. Depending on how well the rest of a RV is insulated, their insulation factor can be a benefit. But, I consider them well worth their cost just to avoid dealing with a lot of dripping wet windows anytime you're camping when the temps drop down in the low 50's or lower and condensation can really be a problem.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:14 AM   #33

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Since the dual pane windows will not add even a nickel to resale, buy some 20 percent self-adhesive window film; this lets in 20 percent of the UV and light of a regular single pane clear glass window or one that is only has a slight tint. I did this a few months ago in our FIFTH WHEEL trailer and it is far cooler inside in triple digits and I spent less than $75. It is easy to install, just takes some patience. Now if you love the sunlight, this will darken your trailer quite a bit but we keep the blinds down 24/7 for the most part anyway while camping.

I did this in a 5er when we spent a winter in cold weather. Worked well. The downside is you cannot open the window to let fresh air in on those nice days.

I'll still go with dual pane any day, twice on Sunday,
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:29 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrek View Post
OK, I've looked at the examples and do need one of these. They appear to be (basically) upper and lower limit voltage protectors?
manowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:46 AM   #35

We bought the portable 50 version and a massive cable lock so it doesn't crawl away. Had my first go-round with a campground electrician due to low voltage on a hot day. Turned on one A/C and the microwave and voltage dropped to 101 and it kicked out. They found an underground break in an aluminum wire. Worth the money.
deltam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:52 PM   #36

Re EMS: I have the Progressive Industries 50 amp portable model which was purchased when we moved up to the motorhome. I had the 30 amp portable model when we had our travel trailers and it saved us from problems on a couple of occasions. I actually have the 50 amp portable model wired to stay in the power cord bay so that the power cord plugs into the EMS and then to the power pedestal.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:50 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
I did this in a 5er when we spent a winter in cold weather. Worked well. The downside is you cannot open the window to let fresh air in on those nice days.

I'll still go with dual pane any day, twice on Sunday,
I don't know how they all work but the windows in the motorhome open just fine. Some are crank out, some sliding, and are open right now.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:38 PM   #38

Double pane windows

They will keep the outside noise down a great deal. They are fantastic!
sleeper41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:56 PM   #39

dual pain glass

I had them on my 2010 challenger motorhome and after 5 years i had to replace the passenger side window because it failed. 275.00

then i bought a 2016 bounder 35k and after 2 years the passenger side window failed and fogged up, getting that repaired next week cost 300.00.

no more dual paine glass for me.

just my thoughts
southw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:57 PM   #40

Dual windows are expensive with little resale benefit and the extra $1,000 will pay for a lot of propane/electric. There is also the concern of the windows losing their seal which is another expense to constantly be prepared for. If the temp gets extreme, we add cut outs of Reflexit to insulate the windows (labeled and stored flat under the mattress). Condensation and noise just aren't that major of a concern, after all it's just a camper even though we full time in ours for the last 6 years. A shower exhaust fan to get rid of shower moisture is a better investment.
I have installed the EMS-HW50C that has protected me from elec spikes and low voltage a couple of times.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:15 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dual payne windows

Yes, I think they are definitely worth the extra at least in a Class A, maybe not as important in a Cor B. They do reduce noise while driving and in general are just a better quality window and fits better. I recently purchased a 2014 that doesn't have dual paynes and thought it wouldn't matter, but wish I had them!
Ndtewes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:20 PM   #42

Dual pane windows not allowed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
I prefer single pane. I was into solar adobe back in the late 70s and studies showed the panes are too close together to make much change. They fog up from time to time. You will notice they are not allowed on the side glass near the driver or in the door of a DP. As the driver needs to be able to have a clear view of the road. I'd rather spend the money on window coverings or awnings. I don't even like them in a stick house, they fog there too. Fixing the fog runs anywhere from $200 - $300 + per window. They do work well for condensation but don't expect much insulation from them.
Is this a new thing that dual pane windows aren’t allowed by the driver & passenger? In an RV I believe, (and hope) they’re all tempered glass. One reason they’re so expensive. I really can’t fathom why having widows that don’t get condensate on them and stay clear regardless of the difference in Temp would be a bad thing and not allowed. We just replaced the dual pane driver and passenger windows on our 18 year old coach. Replacements are expensive, but I wouldn’t want single pane glass in them. Sweat and frost, no thanks! Some R value and less solar gain is better than none and none to me.
MSGDLD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rally, window