Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2018, 09:43 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by packnrat View Post
window glass is a stupid poor insulator..
so yes it will help.
Isn't this the truth.

Single glaze R-1?
At any rate, I very much like the current generation of tinted double glaze. If it were possible I'd install storm windows in addition.
Speaking the other month with a repair tech who specializes in double glaze repairs. He indicated that most of his work is repairing / replacing the first generation models, and cracked (stone impacts from mowers).
He also recommended the newest laminated replacements which are very durable.
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2018, 04:38 AM   #58

Dual pane windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manowell View Post
We're about to order, there's an option for Dual Pane glass. After discounts, about a $1,000 add. We're in Texas, will seldom be in serious snow or cold. Some trips to Colorado, etc, with snow on the ground but less than 2% of overnights below freezing in the daytime.

A dealer here (whose model didn't HAVE this feature, of course) said they're a waster of money unless you're in the far north with furnace running a LOT.

Pro, cons, from anybody that has them or anybody down here that knows?

Do they do anything for sound reduction from noise outside? They do at my house, but my house doesn't have RV walls!

Thanks!
Personally I would go with them, one reason is if you want them later it'll cost a lot more, my own Bounder has two pane and the difference in noise pollution is amazing & if you should find yourself in a cold climate it does make a difference especially to heating costs, the down side is if the seal fails & you get condensation between the pains, caught early heated up and resealed they can be saved, left too long the inside can get water marked & will need to be split cleaned & reassembled, the one thing I would recommend is not to have two pane in the front windows ie the drivers & passengers side windows they can in certain light become mirrors which is annoying and dangerous when you're trying to reverse, have them put in 12mm glass instead, you get the same noise reduction & heat retention, make sure it's toughened.
Hope this helps with your decision making.
Bazzer.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:50 AM   #59

Anyone ever had quality tint put on Windows? Seems that would be huge help
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:17 AM   #60

Had single panes in last motorhome and used bubble wrap and then went to reflex to keep out the coldest weather in the northern climates. (At 10 below zero nothing really kept the cold out though) Used foil reflex in the south to help keep out the heat and sun. New motorhome has tinted dual pane windows- threw out the bubble wrap and left the foil reflex in the old motorhome when we sold it. The dual pane windows are much, much better at keeping out the cold and heat.
Nanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:49 AM   #61

Dual Pane

We purchased dual pane on our new 5th wheel in March, So far the best benefit is noise reduction. They help a lot if you neighbors have barking dogs. One thing to note is that not all of the windows are dual pane. The emergency exit windows are still single pane.
cwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:57 AM   #62

Ford Super Duty Owner
Exclamation Dual Pain?

Lots of contradicting suggestions here, but some not based on real world experiences:

Fact: Dual Pain reduce noise, and condensation.

Therefore if neither of these are important to you, choose either. In use condensation is a big issue in cooler areas (including Texas at night) as the cool outside vs warm moist inside will cause condensation without that isolation gap.

Fact: Dual Pane can fog up on the inside: Like your tires, engine, tranny things wear out. I have a 97 Bounder and have had only one window do this ever so slightly, in its entire lifespan. As a rule a window that fogs is a poorly made window so best to get good ones as RV's are hard time for any windows.
Can you fix it? Yes to some degree. Most (older) dual pane windows don't have inert gases like Argon between them and are typically under low or no pressure. When you see fogging it means the seal has broken, this can often by revented with nitrogen or argon needle in the seal and a new seal laid on using polyurethane sealant used around the perimeter.
Also a quick cheap interim solution if you have this is: I have used a fine slow turning TILE/CERAMIC drill bit to make a small vent hole on the lower portion of the outside pane. It gets rid of the severe fogging and makes only a minor difference to the insulation R Value as its the isolation than matters more for RV's. Not all glass, especially multi-tempered glass will do this so only try it if you have decided to change it out anyway and use safety glasses. Wait for a few dry day/night cycles for the moisture to disappear. I put a little dab or clear silicone over the hole and remove it if I need to cleared out again. Haven't had to as yet.

Fact: Many users here expressed their affirmation that they would never buy a unit without Dual Pane. This tells me there is a premium to buy even as a used vehicle. Personally I won't even consider one without so that lets out a huge part of the market. Resale of used RV's IS higher and attracts more interested buyers so use it in any marketing as a plus.

Fact: Dual Pane is heavier: Sounds like this is huge but its not. The 2 pains are thinner and only slightly heavier than a solid thicker pane. Check it out: but weigh both.

Fact: RV's are hard to cool. Dual Pane means it is less difficult to cool or heat.

That's my 2 cents worth, hope it helps.

Capt Ron
Up in Cold Country
Old 09-21-2018, 08:34 AM   #63

Pluses and minuses abound on dual pane windows.

Dual pane windows reduce noise, SIGNIFICANTLY!

Bad or poor quality dual pane windows may be prone to fogging. Solution, get good quality windows.

Our 2001 Dutch Star came with dual pane windows. None have failed to date, that's 17 YEARS. Must be good quality. Bad quality windows will probably fail fairly soon. Ask the dealer what guarantee (in writing) the dual pane windows have on them for the extra $1,000.

Single pane windows condense water A LOT as mentioned already. Dual pane don't, or at least to a MUCH smaller degree.

Fiction: No increase in resale value . . . For me as a buyer, I won't pay "extra" for dual pane, because I just flat won't BUY an RV without dual pane . . . so you've just limited your potential buyer pool because many won't consider buying single panes . . .

Also, we don't buy RV's for the next guy. We buy for US! I'll take the increased QUALITY OF LIFE that dual pane windows add any day. I don't really much care what the next guy does or doesn't want, it seems pretty foolish to own an RV for years and not make changes or purchase features that will make living in it more pleasant just because you are concerned with what the next owner may or may not want!

But that's just me!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:02 AM   #64

I don't understand the big issue with window condensation? This morning in ND, we awoke to the windows loaded w/condensation from last nights rain and two hours later the condensation was gone. We have been full timing for 6 years and window condensation isn't any big deal for us, certainly not a major consideration in buying a RV.
I do admit I speak with no actual experience on RV dual pane windows.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:50 AM   #65

Only dual pane...

Thermal protection heat or cold

Much lower sound from outside when windows closed.

Never a problem on driver's window or any other window.
Driver and windshield need clear view, not darkened.

Always worth to spend a little (compared to total price) for many features.
BarryHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:41 AM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Have triple panes on the S&B. Would have them in the coach if available.

Single $$
Double $$$
Comfort - priceless
Old 09-21-2018, 01:09 PM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
no dual pane here

Quote:
Originally Posted by manowell View Post
We're about to order, there's an option for Dual Pane glass. After discounts, about a $1,000 add. We're in Texas, will seldom be in serious snow or cold. Some trips to Colorado, etc, with snow on the ground but less than 2% of overnights below freezing in the daytime.

A dealer here (whose model didn't HAVE this feature, of course) said they're a waster of money unless you're in the far north with furnace running a LOT.

Pro, cons, from anybody that has them or anybody down here that knows?

Do they do anything for sound reduction from noise outside? They do at my house, but my house doesn't have RV walls!

Thanks!
I had to replace the driver and passenger front side windows Twice! they were dual pane. Since we had more fogged windows than clear , we decided to replace all the windows to Single pane. I couldn't be happier. We went with RV Glass Solutions. About $3000 for complete job- we drove in and 4 days later drove out. Even had choices of tints. I think they work better than before- heat or cold transfer from out side to inside is about the same.

Good luck! Our RV is 2006 Southwind 32v. The windows started fogging up in the third year we had it, at about 4000 miles!
rickkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:59 PM   #68

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban350 View Post
They do help with sound, also I would think they would help when running the A/C anything that adds a little "r" value (and I say little) can't hurt. I would not own another rv without them

Same.

They help with sound (great for noisy campgrounds/RV parks), condensation, and temperature. Weather we are in the summer, or winter.

We too would never own another rv without.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:51 PM   #69

double pane windows

We had a big problem with those DP windows they all failed to the point i could not see out my drivers and passenger window , just to replace two windows it was 2,000 bucks .we are looking at new RVs and i will bye a Tiffin because of that fact alone . I think it was 7 years in new coach Fleetwood and they all failed
josefire64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:09 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I don't understand the big issue with window condensation? This morning in ND, we awoke to the windows loaded w/condensation from last nights rain and two hours later the condensation was gone. We have been full timing for 6 years and window condensation isn't any big deal for us, certainly not a major consideration in buying a RV.
I do admit I speak with no actual experience on RV dual pane windows.
Yep, after two hours, the condensation has gone back into the atmosphere, dripped past seals, and soaked into the surrounding sidewalls, wall covering, or whatnot . . . problem solved, right? NOT!

All that moisture from the condensation that drips down into the wall material, dash material, insulation, etc is there potentially helping to create rot, mold, stains, etc. I prefer to not have the condensation there to begin with. We ventilate, use a dehumidifier or air conditioner in humid weather, and have dual pane windows to limit the condensation to the front windshield (single pane) Better to prevent the problem then to remediate ($$$) the issues caused from lack of prevention IMHO.

Your mileage may vary
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rally, window