Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2018, 07:58 PM   #1

Dually front end wobble

I have a 2013 3500 Dodge ram dually, a yr ago I hit a raised bump in the road doing about 65 mph, right front wheel wobbled violently, slowed down to "shake it out", I have since hit more pot holes, rippled black top, etc,... Slow or fast, it seems if I hit them just rite the front end wobbles violently to the point I have to almost stop to get it to stop. Anyone else experience same??
nclauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2018, 08:07 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Friend of mine has a large Dodge, he had an instance of a "death wooble" while pulling a trailer on interstate. Took it to the dealer and turned out to be tie rod ends. Not sure if this is common or not.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:13 PM   #3

Thanks, I have had it looked at multiple times without conclusive answers
Old 04-26-2018, 08:33 PM   #4

Check for a bent wheel. A good tire shop can measure lateral run out.

mjdenn
mjdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:50 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
All one tons are subject to the Death Wobble as they don't have independent suspension. My F350 had it due to steering column failure. Can also be caused by wheel bearings, tie rods or ball joints or a combination.

Very dangerous situation. Take it to the dealer and use the death Wobble term, they all know it and can diagnose based on the name. Can be a very expensive fix, but deadly if not fixed.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:48 AM   #6

Thanks for the info Buzz, been experiencing an increase in this occuring, driving me nuts. Already made an appointment and yes they know the term.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:27 AM   #7

Check your pittman arm. That will do it.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:43 PM   #8

There is a recall on the front ends of 2 WD Dodge ram trucks where one of the members that holds/secures the front end parts was not welded correctly at the factory... it has happened where this incorrect weld fails and pieces fall off... first consult the Ram Website with your vin # to determine if you have this recall and it hasn't been performed on your truck..

Second, there is a "death wobble" also related to some trucks.. in all the trucks I've owned (10 over the years) we have never experienced this.. but we keep the front end tight and don't put aftermarket tires and wheels... its said that different offsets from aftermarket stuff can contribute to the wobble..

Last, go join turbodieselregister.com for the latest information on your Dodge Ram truck and you will find lots of threads on this problem.. there are 3 or 4 factory guys who write tho this thread... bob4x4 and sag2 are excellent sources of information, but they usually don't respond to direct emails... but if they add thoughts to a thread its because they have seen it in the shop
Old 04-27-2018, 01:47 PM   #9

I would start with the tires. A shifted belt will do that. Any tire shop can tell you. Had same thing happen. Mine came with the crappy Nexen tires. Front tire belt shifted resulting in a violent wobble. New Michelin tires fixed that