Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2020, 08:30 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
I'd personally buy insurance rather than a truck as insurance is much cheaper if that it what the decision comes down to. Can you get yourself, your kids, pets and anything else of value out in a hurry?? That's all that matters.

fwiw, I'd much rather be running away from a hurricane in a small SUV versus a DRW truck with a 42' 5th wheel attached but maybe I'm just lazy

I doubt that you will be able to get " hurricane insurance" on a RV? My expiereince in living in a S&B in South Florida is there are only a hand full of carriers that will even write polices here and Hurricane coverage is a seperarte rider on the policy. There is a whole wind mitigation addendum also that takes into affect construction techniques, types of materials, window protection, etc that will provide discounts off the coverage.

As far as running away, any sub standard construction IE mobil homes, rv, etc will be a mandatory evacuation if the're in the cone of death, IE you wont be allowed to stay in them and depending on the park they may force you to remove the RV- and if you wait until they issue the Hurricane warnings your going to be too late and stuck in the log jam of all the evacuations trying to out run the storm.

You need to have your hurricane plan done in advance and be ready to execute it along the milestones of the storm development and tracking. That may be as simple as locking the RV doors and hopping on a plane back to the NE or as complex as a total evacuation of your rig. Only you can decide whats best for your situation, assets, and life safety.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2020, 11:40 AM   #44

Towing with a SRW is not a "white knuckle experience" if you know how to drive. I have a SRW Ram with plenty of CC for my 5th wheel but I also don't pack kitchen sinks. A dually, not daully, doesn't actually cost that much more than a SRW and a SRW bit more maneuverable due to width. Mine is a LB and has a CC of 4207, not a stripped model but a Laramie. Properly selected 5th wheels along with properly selected SRW will work just fine. Don't get hung up on the Ford 350. Look at the cargo capacity of the Ram equivalents. Much better. Use door sticker info for actual weight capacities not web sites from the auto manufacturers.

Reference hurricanes, if you don't leave early then you get to ride out the storm on the road and it doesn't make any difference whether you are in a Corvette or RV. Think parking lot with lanes. Hurricane season is summer and early fall when no one in their right mind wants to go to south FL. For 2 time a year I also suggest having it hauled.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:45 PM   #45

If you have to question go with the DRW. I have one as my daily driver and not really a big deal.
gmacecsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:10 PM   #46

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I love my dually. Its my 2nd and I feel better with a dually with 4k of pin weight. My home is a block from the Atlantic and the RV is parked on its own driveway on the backside of my home.
I left the fiver parked on its driveway with the leveling jacks down during Irma and Michael. Its insured for replacement cost and weathered both storms without a scratch.
The problems with hitching up and getting out of dodge is the traffic, where are you going AND then the traffic getting back. Parks hours away will evacuate and close and often don't reopen right away.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:28 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmar2856 View Post
The newer SRW trucks have higher payloads than trucks even a few years old. Based on your weights and infrequent travel I’d find a SRW with the required payload and go for it. I had a dually, and I loved that truck, but driving it and parking it in the city was a huge pain. It was doable, but a pain.

Good luck.
The rear axle maximum weight is determined by tire load rating. A mfgr. can state a higher payload, but total weight on the tires is the limiting factor.
Otherwise I agree with your advice.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:53 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacecsko View Post
If you have to question go with the DRW. I have one as my daily driver and not really a big deal.
X2
Full timer and one vehicle, 2016 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW no issues for DW and me. Heck DD has 2004 Ram DRW to tow her four horse slant horse trailer. The more you drive it the smaller it gets.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 11:57 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
Why have a 5ver or TT if your scared to move it. Your in an RV you leave the before the weather moves in or after it passes. You dont ride out a hurricane you leave days before.

If anyone has reservations or fears on moving a 5ver or a TT they should buy a motorhome. Truck and trailer just isnt for them
60k goes a lot further on a 5th wheel than a motor home.
RyanStryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 01:23 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanStryker View Post
60k goes a lot further on a 5th wheel than a motor home.
a lot further of course. i was speaking to those intimidated by towing
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 06:47 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac5501 View Post
Could not have said it better myself. In your case, if you travel a lot with FW, get a dually. If only towing twice a year, go with properly equipped SRW, and you will have more than enough towing/payload capacity.

You will also be able to GO THROUGH AUTOMATIC CAR WASHES with the SRW. That could be an issue.
I am with this guy.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:30 AM   #52

I read through the posts and saw one intriguing idea. Have a hot shot driver tow it. Figure a truck will cost $65,000 or maybe more. If you do this 10 years your $65,000 truck will be worth $20,000 so it costs $45,000.

A hot shot driver would charge $1.80 - $2.00/mile. So say $4,200/year in transport costs. In 10 years that would cost you $42,000 or about the same.

If you include insurance, tires, oil changes I think you would be ahead of the game use a hot shot driver.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:34 AM   #53

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I read through the posts and saw one intriguing idea. Have a hot shot driver tow it. Figure a truck will cost $65,000 or maybe more. If you do this 10 years your $65,000 truck will be worth $20,000 so it costs $45,000.

A hot shot driver would charge $1.80 - $2.00/mile. So say $4,200/year in transport costs. In 10 years that would cost you $42,000 or about the same.

If you include insurance, tires, oil changes I think you would be ahead of the game use a hot shot driver.
I believe the OP stated this would be the daily driver.

So you need to add the cost ownership of a daily driver vehicle to the cost of hot shot delivery since you would not have the truck to drive around.

Also its probably a safe bet that rates will not stay 1.8 to 2.0 per mile over the 10 year period.
ac5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 03:46 PM   #54

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Hello, I’m new to the RV and 5th wheel world. I’m a disabled veteran and I’m close to closing in on a 38 foot hemisphere 378FL 5th wheel. We’ve been looking into duallys but having one as a daily driver seems cumbersome.

We are going to be traveling with the 5th wheel twice a year when the seasons change. We would be leaving the North-East in late August and returning to the North-East. Otherwise we won’t be towing the 5th wheel anywhere. So roughly an 1100 mile trek, sit for 9 months, then return another 1100 miles and sit for 3 months.

The 5th wheel is about 12k pounds with an additional 2.5k pounds CCC which we will likely be close to maximum. After you add our family into the vehicle you around 15k pounds. I’m assuming the hitch will also add some additional weight.

Is it possible for us to get something like a 350 that can tow that weight? Is 2200 miles on this annually too much of a risk to not get a dually? There’s just so many more affordable options without one. Thanks for reading this.

I have a 2019 KZ Durango Gold 380FLF purchased 8/2018. I think it’s gross weight is 15K. I bought a 2018 F350 LB, SRW, 4x4, Lariat.
I decided on using a Reese Goosebox so that didn’t take up truck bed payload.
I went to Escapees park in Livingston TX and used their smart weigh program and got a weight on every tire. Thankfully with it loaded for fulltime use and as instructed full fresh water with empty waste all weights were within limits and I had 500 lbs or so under max of sticker on truck door.

IMHO if you’re over a little with one of the newer truck any of the three you should be fine for twice a year trips.
Regards Ron
baranski37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:15 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac5501 View Post
I believe the OP stated this would be the daily driver.

So you need to add the cost ownership of a daily driver vehicle to the cost of hot shot delivery since you would not have the truck to drive around.

Also its probably a safe bet that rates will not stay 1.8 to 2.0 per mile over the 10 year period.
Yeah I think if we ended up spending 50k or so it would end up being a daily driver for one of us. I hadn’t considered that spending 4k annual would surmount to about what I would spend having a dually over 10 years. I feel like initially I’m going to have it towed because we also want to tow jet skis with our current SUV. We have no need to tow this thing all over. However at some point I feel like we will want to utilize it to be able to travel with for long distances. Which seems like it’ll lean us into the dually zone. Is it feasible to get a cheaper old dually and have it be reliable like in the 10-20k range? Or should I always be opting for a newer one. That way it doesn’t have to be our daily driver and just acts as a way to save us 4k in shipping costs annually?
RyanStryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 12:32 AM   #56

Quote:
Is it feasible to get a cheaper old dually and have it be reliable like in the 10-20k range? Or should I always be opting for a newer one. That way it doesn’t have to be our daily driver and just acts as a way to save us 4k in shipping costs annually?
Absolutely! A quick search on Autotrader shows plenty of dually diesel trucks less than 10 years old for less than $20,000. You might have to spend more if you are picky and want less than 150,000 miles, Platinum trim or better, only one owner, and must be a specific color combination. I wouldn't be that picky if it's just a dedicated tow vehicle though.

2011 King Ranch for $16,000 It's Ford's 6.7, which has a great track record. I love mine.

Another 2011 F350 for only $11,500. You could put a bed on it and replace that front bumper and still be well under $20,000
2015 F350 for $20,000. A little on the expensive side of your range, but it's only 5 years old. I'd replace the ugly red equipment in the bed, or maybe just repaint it black. 2015 dually 4x4 for under $20,000 is a steal. Dang, I wish I that was available when I was looking for a truck.
Don't like Ford? Here's a Dodge. And here's a Chevy. Hate white trucks and want a black one? If you don't mind a few years older, your options increase quick.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote