Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2020, 05:05 PM   #1

Dually or no dually?

Hello, I’m new to the RV and 5th wheel world. I’m a disabled veteran and I’m close to closing in on a 38 foot hemisphere 378FL 5th wheel. We’ve been looking into duallys but having one as a daily driver seems cumbersome.

We are going to be traveling with the 5th wheel twice a year when the seasons change. We would be leaving the North-East in late August and returning to the North-East. Otherwise we won’t be towing the 5th wheel anywhere. So roughly an 1100 mile trek, sit for 9 months, then return another 1100 miles and sit for 3 months.

The 5th wheel is about 12k pounds with an additional 2.5k pounds CCC which we will likely be close to maximum. After you add our family into the vehicle you around 15k pounds. I’m assuming the hitch will also add some additional weight.

Is it possible for us to get something like a 350 that can tow that weight? Is 2200 miles on this annually too much of a risk to not get a dually? There’s just so many more affordable options without one. Thanks for reading this.
RyanStryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2020, 05:33 PM   #2

You're likely going to get strong opinions on both sides of the SRW or DRW question. IMO, you're right at the limit of what I would feel comfortable carrying that weight on a SRW truck. Keep in mind there are two concepts here - what can the truck pull and what can it carry. Realistically, a SRW truck and DRW truck can PULL similar weights. It's the CARRYING where the DRW shines.

You numbers look pretty well thought out and calculated. Keep in mind just because the 5th "can" can carry 2500# doesn't mean you will load it up that much.

I share a similar opinion of DRW trucks... that being they are somewhat of a pain to daily drive (hold on, you're sure to get people telling you it's no harder than parking a Prius). When I buy my retirement 5th wheel I'll likely size it to fit with a SRW truck. My dry weight limit is somewhere around 12,000#. Also, I think some of the newer SRW 350/3500s have some increased payload ratings over past years. I believe a moderately equipped 4X4 is up around 4300#. That should work with the trailer you are looking at.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 05:56 PM   #3

The newer SRW trucks have higher payloads than trucks even a few years old. Based on your weights and infrequent travel I’d find a SRW with the required payload and go for it. I had a dually, and I loved that truck, but driving it and parking it in the city was a huge pain. It was doable, but a pain.

Good luck.
Newmar2856 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 05:56 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
It all boils down to the loaded pinweight of the trailer ( use 20% of the trailer GVWR, not the fictitious brochure weight) and the trucks payload capacity with full fuel and passengers.

We are on our 3rd DRW truck and now 7 years full time with the DRW as our only vehicle. It is not that cumbersome. The length and long turning radius is more of a problem than the width with a crewcab and long bed.

So be sure you get the right tool for the job.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:58 PM   #5

You don't need a dually till that moment comes when you need a dually.

We had that moment west of Laramie, WY in 2009. We had a blowover. A huge gust of wind tore our 5er right out of the back of the truck & rolled it multiple times down a 50' embankment, totally destroying the 5er.

The truck was within inches of being taken down with the trailer when the kingpin broke out of the 5th wheel.

What most likely saved our lives that day was the extra STABILITY provided by the fact that our truck is a dually.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:06 PM   #6

I like my dually. I’d like a bit taller gearing but pulling through a gnarly crosswind will make you a believer.

I pulled into a park in Weatherford OK last winter and the lady looked at me wide eyed and said “you made it? No one else moved today!” Winds were gusting to near 50 and I had to be at work early the next morning.

Really it’s no bother parking it in all but the tightest parking garages. It makes you a better driver by staying centered in the lane. I understand the hesitation but it’s really nothing you can’t handle. If you need it, get it— and have plenty of payload leftover for a giant aux tank and whatnot.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:11 PM   #7

If ya want turning radius and ultimate stopping ability. Skip the 350 or 3500 DRW and go straight to 450 chasis cab or 4500. DRW same height length but turns 100% better. This is due to greater cut in steering

Probably wont ever have to upgrade trucks again. Unless you go to a spacecraft or anderson mobile estate.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:17 PM   #8

Forget buying a truck and hire a transporter to move the fifth wheel for you. The cost of truck ownership (unless you want a truck) savings would pay for the transport cost (about $2/mile).
Search Craig's List for transport RV or contact Horizon or Star Transporters.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanStryker View Post
Is it possible for us to get something like a 350 that can tow that weight? Is 2200 miles on this annually too much of a risk to not get a dually? There’s just so many more affordable options without one. Thanks for reading this.
Some may say this is an over simplification. Look at motorhomes on the road, gas or diesel, that are the larger size. Mid-size box trucks, big trucks. What do they all have in common? Four or more rear tires. The amount of rubber on the road must mean something. Driving, pulling something fifteen to over twenty thousand pounds, I cannot imagine a situation where you have to worry about having too much rubber on the ground or too big of a tow rig with heavy loads. Just because you can does not mean you should. Ignore the justifications for why you can tow a big rig with two rear tires. How much is you and your families safety worth? But, there are other opinions. Read them all!
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:29 PM   #10

Used truck or new truck.
If used what year models will you be looking at. Will the truck be used for other functions.

Newer gen F350 SRW has the capacity to carry a 14k lb trailer pin weight. Their good for up to around 3800 lbs in the bed before exceeding the trucks axle/tire load ratings (rawr).

Some F350 SRW have 4000-4400 lb GVWR based payloads which will have to be spread over front and rear axle. A 5th wheel trailer hitch weight and every thing in the bed sits over the trucks rear axle. Front axle carries little if any load so its not a player for trailer work.

The newer F350 SRW with 7230 rawr won't have any issue with that size trailer.

Older F350 SRW ('04 and older) with 6830 rawr may need some rear suspension help with higher capacity tires/wheel and rear spring pack.

I would go with the diesel for trailers that heavy especially on those long runs.
JIMNLIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
If ya want turning radius and ultimate stopping ability. Skip the 350 or 3500 DRW and go straight to 450 chasis cab or 4500. DRW same height length but turns 100% better. This is due to greater cut in steering

Probably wont ever have to upgrade trucks again. Unless you go to a spacecraft or anderson mobile estate.
I just bought a F350 DRW, looked at the F450 but went 350 because it has almost 1000 pounds more payload than the 450.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:34 PM   #12
JDT

First, thank you for your service. I'm a VN vet.

You didn't say if you are shopping for new or used but my new Ford srw has a 4562 pound payload on the yellow sticker but to get the 12,400 GVWR it comes with you have to be very specific on how it is equipped. It must be a long bed, crewcab, diesel, 4X4 with 18" or 20" all terrain tires. The new GM 3500's have 12,100 GVWR for the short bed and 12,250 for the long. I'm not sure where the Ram's fall. I think any of those would handle your fifth wheel.

I've towed with both a dually and an srw. My preference for daily driving is not a dually. My preference for towing is both. I'm really not seeing much difference in the ride and handling towing but I'm sure there are times having an extra 2 wheels behind is a good thing. Even though my truck has the same wheelbase it seems to be much easier to maneuver than my previous dually.
JDT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:55 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Dually isn't an issue to drive and park. You get used to it.

The trailer from the factory is one thing, but once you start loading up the passthrough and basement storage (all up near the pin) and looking at modifications, or an aux tank so you can drive further - you're over the SRW capacity real quick.

Advertised hitch weight on your trailer is 2140#. Ours is listed as 2465#. As we travel, we're around 4K on the pin (probably a bit heavier than most, but not difficult to accomplish). We also carry north of 700# of tools and extra fuel in the bed. That puts any SRW you will find on a lot over the limits. You could get by with a SRW if you travel fairly light, but don't have a lot of "wiggle" room.

Even prior to adding all the things that add the weight up front (generator, washer/dryer, battery bank, solar equipment, etc), we didn't have the trailer long before I started chasing mods to the SRW truck to better handle the load.

My SRW ended up with Kelderman full air ride and 19.5" tires. I'm happier with the stock DRW, if for nothing other than peace of mind. I certainly didn't have to void the warranty or spend so much cash on the aftermarket to be satisfied with the towing experience.

As an aside, even if you go with SRW, get the long bed. But if you're going with a long bed, you might as well get a DRW. It won't make much difference driving. It may not be often you need to turn 90° to the trailer, but I've been into a few situations where I'm very grateful I could.
n0mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Hello, I’m new to the RV and 5th wheel world. I’m a disabled veteran and I’m close to closing in on a 38 foot hemisphere 378FL 5th wheel. We’ve been looking into duallys but having one as a daily driver seems cumbersome.
It is quite cumbersome at first. A month later, eh, it's not so bad. I mean, it's big, but more importantly, it's long! That's what the big issue is. 6 months down the road and you're taking it through downtown Nashville and squeezing her into parallel parking spots in Hot Springs, AR. If you can do it with a 1/2 ton truck, I can do it with my dually. I have yet to find anything that actually limits me because I have a dually. Having a crew cab and a long bed has limited me a bit. Having those two extra wheels hasn't.

Oh, wait, that's not entirely true! I can't take it through automatic car washes that have the rails on the side that your wheels go in. Other than that, dual rear wheels hasn't prevented me from doing anything.

Quote:
We are going to be traveling with the 5th wheel twice a year when the seasons change. We would be leaving the North-East in late August and returning to the North-East. Otherwise we won’t be towing the 5th wheel anywhere. So roughly an 1100 mile trek, sit for 9 months, then return another 1100 miles and sit for 3 months.

The 5th wheel is about 12k pounds with an additional 2.5k pounds CCC which we will likely be close to maximum. After you add our family into the vehicle you around 15k pounds. I’m assuming the hitch will also add some additional weight.
Okay, you're getting diesel then. There's no reason to even consider gasoline if you're towing 15,000 pounds. You are also firmly in DRW territory. You need about 4,000 pounds of available payload with that setup. Can you get that in a SRW? Yea, you can probably find a configuration that will give you that. Would you want to tow that trailer with that truck? No, you wouldn't. It would be a hard tow the whole time. The truck will be maxed out trying to wrestle that big trailer behind it.

Quote:
According to Ford's 2020 Spec Sheet, yes, you can find trucks with that much payload in a SRW setup. You can't have a crew cab though, which means you're getting a low end trim package. No King Ranch or higher for you. If you want a decent trim level, you're going to be stuck with 2wd. Good luck selling either of those trucks in the future. Nobody wants a 2wd truck, and nobody wants less than a crew cab. You're going to get hosed on resale value on a SRW.

On the other hand, the DRW trucks give you plenty of payload, better stability, and you won't have problems selling an F450, or F350 4x4 DRW Crew Cab truck down the road.

If you're like me, you're not going to want to stop all the time to get fuel. You'll add an auxiliary fuel tank to the truck. That's going to eat up some payload, especially when you fill it up with fuel. With my setup, I can make it about 1,000 miles between fillups while towing. I almost can't burn a tank of fuel in a day. I stop when I want to, not every 250 miles. (250 because you can't run it till you're completely empty. You'll want to stop when you get down to 1/8 or 1/4 tank. It's not worth stranding yourself with a big trailer behind you because you pushed your fuel just one more town.)

Bottom line, just get the dually. It's not as big as it seems at first.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote