Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2018, 07:58 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
East Coast RV Dealers

Wondering what folks who have dealt with Campers Inn RV dealers have to say about their experience?

Also, is it better to deal with a large dealership like them or La Mesa or to find a smaller dealership or even family owned dealer?
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2018, 09:30 AM   #2

This is a situation where bigger may be better for the bottom dollar as they might have greater negotiating power. Not convinced your after the sale experience will match the family owned operation though. I've never bought from the REALLY big outfits, so it's mostly speculation on my part.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:20 PM   #3

I dont care what dealership I deal with. I am not shopping dealers. I might even go so far as to do my own warranty work. I have heard of many instances of people getting no resolution from a dealer service shop only to cal the manufacture directly, have the replacement part sent directly to them to replace themselves.
I will shop the particular unit I want to any sales yard that wants to make the best deal. And I have no problem driving 2000+ miles to get it. Once I get it I will take 2 days in the parking lot to shake everything down before driving off.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
Wondering what folks who have dealt with Campers Inn RV dealers have to say about their experience?

Also, is it better to deal with a large dealership like them or La Mesa or to find a smaller dealership or even family owned dealer?
We bought 2 different truck campers from Campers Inn in Merrimack. It was several years ago (and they no longer sell TCs) but we got 2 pretty good deals from them.

I agree that larger dealers, whether they have one or multiple locations, might be willing to deal with for a better price for you.
sugarhillctd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:42 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
So the consensus seems to be that you can get a better price or maybe a better deal (incl. loan?) from a large dealer. Are there negatives of doing the deal with a large dealer that may be farther away from home?
Old 04-10-2018, 11:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
So the consensus seems to be that you can get a better price or maybe a better deal (incl. loan?) from a large dealer. Are there negatives of doing the deal with a large dealer that may be farther away from home?
Sure there is.
If you have been doing research you should know many owners say to do a thorough walk through and PDI before leaving.
If you are buying from far away this is harder to do. People feel rushed to get on the road and back home.
Many large dealerships have RV sites you can use for a couple of days.
I got some advice from someone to stay for a day or two so you have time at the dealership to used the RV and discover what does not work before you leave.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:17 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
Sure there is.
If you have been doing research you should know many owners say to do a thorough walk through and PDI before leaving.
If you are buying from far away this is harder to do. People feel rushed to get on the road and back home.
Many large dealerships have RV sites you can use for a couple of days.
I got some advice from someone to stay for a day or two so you have time at the dealership to used the RV and discover what does not work before you leave.
Sounds contradicting to me. Too far away makes you rush, but large dealers allow you access for days. I don't let anyone rush me...not for any reason, other than medical emergencies.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:01 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Anyone have any experience with Lazy Days? They are acquiring one of the dealerships I've been working with.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:34 PM   #9

Small is a relative term in the RV business. Look at the cost of inventory for a Motor Home dealer and you will get a clue about how much they can afford to floor plan. That is why you see many more pull behinds than driveables on a lot.

If you buy from a distant dealer they can give you a better price because they are probably in a lower tax/cost of facilities situation and do not plan on doing any warranty work on your unit. If pressed they might do a quick job on something found in the PDI walkthrough then they are done with you. The local guy made no money on that sale, gets reimbursed at less than his shop rate, and has to put up with you, the customer who shunned him. Don't be surprised if they give you a less than warm reception.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post

I am far from an expert and still new here as I am shopping for my first fifth wheel. I am commenting because I have been in contact with that exact dealership... not impressed. Very little knowledge about whats on their lot or specs, not timely in returning calls, pass you off from person to person. They only want two things, your email for their list and to do whatever they can to get you on their lot. I cant tell you how many times I have heard "Sir, why don't you just come down and we can walk through the models." I tell them I am not driving 2-3hrs each way to find out if they have what I am looking for. I have asked 5 times for someone to just walk out to a specific unit, look if it has a generator and respond to me yes or no.... still no answer....
battlerattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 03:00 PM   #11

I bought 3 trailers, all at different places in different stares. 2 out of the 3 places are now out of business.

La Mesa has a good selection while smaller dealers will not have the same selection.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 03:55 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Small is a relative term in the RV business. Look at the cost of inventory for a Motor Home dealer and you will get a clue about how much they can afford to floor plan. That is why you see many more pull behinds than driveables on a lot.

If you buy from a distant dealer they can give you a better price because they are probably in a lower tax/cost of facilities situation and do not plan on doing any warranty work on your unit. If pressed they might do a quick job on something found in the PDI walkthrough then they are done with you. The local guy made no money on that sale, gets reimbursed at less than his shop rate, and has to put up with you, the customer who shunned him. Don't be surprised if they give you a less than warm reception.
The RV service shop I intend to use, doesn't sell RVs they just provide service, and they are plenty busy. None of that stuff you were talking about involved.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:57 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlerattle View Post
I am far from an expert and still new here as I am shopping for my first fifth wheel. I am commenting because I have been in contact with that exact dealership... not impressed. Very little knowledge about whats on their lot or specs, not timely in returning calls, pass you off from person to person. They only want two things, your email for their list and to do whatever they can to get you on their lot. I cant tell you how many times I have heard "Sir, why don't you just come down and we can walk through the models." I tell them I am not driving 2-3hrs each way to find out if they have what I am looking for. I have asked 5 times for someone to just walk out to a specific unit, look if it has a generator and respond to me yes or no.... still no answer....
Which location and who have you been dealing with?
Old 11-15-2018, 03:58 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I bought 3 trailers, all at different places in different stares. 2 out of the 3 places are now out of business.

La Mesa has a good selection while smaller dealers will not have the same selection.
I'm not looking for selection, I'm ordering from the factory through the dealer.

Tags
dealer, east coast