Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2019, 11:14 AM   #1

Electric Awning

Out outer plastic coating on the fabric of the awning is peeling. has anyone replaced the fabric on there power awning? cost to replace by yourself, and or by a dealer?
outbackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Personally I will only use Stone Vos in Florida for any and all awning fabric.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:07 PM   #3

Replacing the awning fabric is really a two man job. Not that it's difficult to do the exchange ,, you need an extra set of hands. I did it alone but it was time consuming doing it alone. Mine was an 18 footer. The original was torn in a wind storm when I was away. The orig. was about 12 years old and spent a lot of time out in the sun. Each end of the fabric has a 'hem' in that hem there is a plastic spaghetti , when the spaghetti is pulled out the awning will release from the grove in the roller and tract on the RV. I think the replacement fabric was a little over 200 bucks.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:52 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackmac View Post
Out outer plastic coating on the fabric of the awning is peeling. has anyone replaced the fabric on there power awning? cost to replace by yourself, and or by a dealer?
Check with a company called Tough Top Awnings at 1-360-980-0537. We replaced slide toppers and awning fabric on another rig for a friend. It took us about 6 hours for 2 slide toppers and a 14 foot awning
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:14 AM   #5

We are in cincinnati and temps are below freezing, whats your thoughts on removing the fabric, or plastic coating and traveling?
Old 11-13-2019, 07:26 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Can you close or is the awning closed? If yes with the freezing temps, I would leave it alone until it warms up some.

I would call Tough Top Awnings and ask if they recommend doing an install below a certain temperature.
Freezing in Cincy, we stay at the 1000 trails park in Wilmington, about 45 miles up I-71, during the summer. We purchased our Road Warrior from Holman's in Batavia, you may give them a call for advice on the weather conditions and your question.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:16 AM   #7

electric awning

I would do the install next spring. my question is. which is the best option.1) remove the outer or top plastic covering the best i can, roll it up and travel and use it while in gatlinburgh. or 2) remove the entire awning fabric and all, roll it up and go without a awning.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:21 PM   #8

Hi outbackmac , by your explanation I'm assuming the awning you have that failed is a cloth fabric with a plastic film laminated to the fabric. If you can remove the plastic film do it and roll up the awning. With no plastic film it probably won't be rain proof, but what the heck it'll block the sun and maybe won't drip over your entry door :>)
Search the net for a replacement. If you know your brand and mod. # that will help. If you know the brand awning that's great , measure the fabric size NOT the roller length. When my awning is retracted all the way there is an aluminum shield protecting the fabric. There is a 12 inch wide piece of awning fabric between the aluminum shield and the rv rail. You may or not have this configuration. The replacement awning company will ask you what the diameter is of the plastic strip inside the hem. Mine was 1/4"
Don't be scared to tackle the job.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:18 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackmac View Post
I would do the install next spring. my question is. which is the best option.1) remove the outer or top plastic covering the best i can, roll it up and travel and use it while in gatlinburgh. or 2) remove the entire awning fabric and all, roll it up and go without a awning.
When you going to Gatlinburg? We are in Chattanooga this minute and on the weather it was reported they had 8" of snow in OberGatlinburg yesterday. Check the weather there so you are not surprised. The weather here was a low of 16 on Tuesday night and tonight it is suppose to be around 28-29 degrees.
As the answer I would remove the top plastic, as much as you need, and roll it up and yes wait until warmer weather.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:29 PM   #10

When I replaced mine, I used Camco Deflappers as handles to pull fabric in.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, electric