Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2017, 02:09 PM   #1

Unhappy Embarrasing Generator Error...

I hate to admit it because I sort of pride myself on exhaustive research BEFORE I make any purchases of several hundred dollars BUT I messed up on this one.

We own a 37' Cedar Creek 5er and like it well enough. We plan on being in a campground/resort most of the time but may do some boondocking at some point. In addition I store my 5er in a lot where there is no electrical connection so it's hard to do any work on it without any "juice"! Hence my need and desire to get an "adequate" generator that would provide power and DID NOT have to be able to power the A/C. I also wanted to have one if I or someone else needed some power on the road or in an emergency situation.

Well...I settled on a Champion 2000 watt Inverter generator that I purchased through Amazon for $440. The generator arrived in two days and runs like a "Champ"...no pun intended...the generator runs as designed...one pull start every time right out of the box.

I have a 4 gallon double tank Porter Cable Air Compressor (Not Pancake & Not Oil-free) that I carry with me that will handle "most" of the jobs including the big motorhome tires (I like to assist others) if needed. The Champion is rated for 2000 Watts starting and 1700 running watts at 14.2 amps. I just realized that my air compressor is rated at 14 amps. My generator WILL NOT start the air compressor...it makes it hum but just not enough OOOMPH to get it going. POOP

Finally, here's my question... I can't return the generator so I'm stuck with it. I really don't want the next size up as it would be around 110lbs and I don't want to lift that myself. I know I can get another generator of the same kind and parallel them so they run together. "IF" I do that, does that give me 4000 starting Watts and 3400 running Watts??? In addition I have to now haul around and store "another 50 lb generator" which I really didn't want to do.

I feel I really messed up on this one which is not my usual outcome. Do any of you actually use 2 2000 Watt generators that you parallel with each other, and if so, how does that work for you...good, or not so good??? If any of you have any other suggestions I would certainly appreciate hearing them. thank you so much!!!!!!!!!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2017, 02:24 PM   #2

Seems like you are hung up on keeping the air compressor in the mix...buy a smaller compressor and forget a two gen setup (unless you are dying to spend the bucks).
Old 05-08-2017, 03:21 PM   #3

Yeah, think I'd opt. to sell the compressor too.
I prefer my little Bostitch 150psi 1 gal.hotdog, 24lbs. runs on <12Amps.
Best of luck.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:27 PM   #4

Hmmm... thinking about this one. I have a bigger Predator... and it runs perfectly.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2000-p...arb-62523.html

Twilightzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:38 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I picked one of these up at Lowe's recently. I have been very happy with it. Looks like it is 10amps so for $99 you could change air compressors.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:50 PM   #6

thinking outside the box here but will the gen start the compressor if there isn't any load? A lot of compressors have an unloader valve to ease starting. Just a tee and a valve plumbed in the line so the compressor turns over easier.

good luck

pointrow
Old 05-08-2017, 05:01 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggwilde View Post
I picked one of these up at Lowe's recently. I have been very happy with it. Looks like it is 10amps so for $99 you could change air compressors.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/PORTER-CABL...ressor/4764588
Old 05-08-2017, 05:08 PM   #8

You think that's embarrassing? I've done much worse. I agree with a couple of others; get a smaller compressor. Remember also, he who dies with the most tools wins.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:09 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
You think that's embarrassing? I've done much worse. I agree with a couple of others; get a smaller compressor. Remember also, he who dies with the most tools wins.
My favorite thing about getting a MH is an excuse to buy tools again.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:36 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I also have one of the smaller Porter Cable pancake compressors that outputs up to 130 PSI mounted along with a reel with 50' rubber air hose in my basement. It starts and runs fine off a Xantrex 1000 Watt Modified Sine Wave Inverter. Its pressure switch lets pressure in tank drop to about 100 PSI before it comes back on then runs until pressure is back up to 130. Works fine on a RV that uses 80-90 PSI tire pressure but if any higher tire pressure needed than that be sure to get compressor that pressurizes its tank to 150 PSI.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointrow View Post
thinking outside the box here but will the gen start the compressor if there isn't any load? A lot of compressors have an unloader valve to ease starting. Just a tee and a valve plumbed in the line so the compressor turns over easier.

good luck

pointrow
Very interesting....Would that be the same as leaving the air tank petcock valves open when first starting the compressor to eliminate the back pressure to hopefully ease the starting process???

Old 05-08-2017, 09:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggwilde View Post
Will certainly keep this one in mind...like the 10 amps

Old 05-09-2017, 07:21 AM   #13

generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilightzone View Post
Hmmm... thinking about this one. I have a bigger Predator... and it runs perfectly.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2000-p...arb-62523.html

At 66dba your getting close to the noise of a vacuum cleaner(70dba).

C.B.
C.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:12 PM   #14

Are you plugged directly into the genny OR are you using an extension cord? If using a cord try plugging in directly. If this will start it you probably need a heavy cord.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator