Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2014, 07:35 AM   #1

Entry Level 5ers

I am currently looking at the Hideout 308BHDS and the Jayco Touring 31.5BHTS. These are both entry level 5ers which I have been unable to locate within a reasobable driving distance. We have seen (in person) the Cougar 330RBK and the Jayco 34.5bhts. These are verry nice units but a little more than I was hoping to pay. My question is why can I not find any of the entry level units. Is it because they sell out fast or because they just don't make many since they are entry level. There is a significant difference in the MSRP of the entry level vs. midlevel-how are these cost diffences explained? Build and structual quality and/or interior finishes. Any guidance would be appreciated!
newtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2014, 04:45 PM   #2

Keep in mind that you always offer at least 25% less than the MSRP for new RVs, even less if they are at the end of the model year. IMHO, the Cougar is an entry level trailer, having just walked through several recently. As an example, one of the Cougar fifth wheels I saw had an MSRP of about $30,000, so I would offer no more than $22,500, and would offer $20,000 if it is a 2014 (about to be replaced by 2015 models.) This discount thing is consistent across most brands. You won't get as big a discount on an exotic RV like an Airstream or a hard to find model, but I would still ask for a 20% discount. That should bring the price down to a more reasonable level. The other option is to buy a used RV, so that the first owner took the depreciation loss instead of you! I would rather have a lightly used Arctic Fox than a new Cougar, FWIW.

Good Luck!

Roy
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:05 PM   #3

Another entry level line to look at is the Palomino Pumas. They are surprisingly well made, and you get a lot for your money. You can probably get a 27' model for under $17,000 or a 29' to 30' model for under $20,000.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:25 PM   #4

An Elkridge by Heartland is a good entry. I would say on par with a Couger.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:20 PM   #5

I looked at the pumas but they lack the 3 bed bunkhouse we need as well as the outdoor kitchen. I'm thinking we will need a 34-36 footer. I had been looking at the Elkridge but once I saw in person I was a little disappointed. I have also read multiple complaints about build quality-so many now that I feel there must be some validity in it. The Cougar is certainly not priced at entry level (IMO) at $50K; was hoping to find a good quality one for 28-30K (40K MSRP)but maybe I am dreaming....LOL. I do not want a used one at this point; I have an old house that I am constantly doing maintenace on and do not want a camper that I have to constatly fix things on either =).
Old 04-27-2014, 07:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtrx View Post
I have an old house that I am constantly doing maintenace on and do not want a camper that I have to constatly fix things on either =).
The harsh realization is one of two things: either, you don't need a camper, or, you are going to have to wake up really fast.

A house on wheels not requiring maintenance? Never. Things might not break a whole lot, but you have to wash, keep up with bearings/brakes/tires, wash, seal up things here and there, clean, pack/unpack, refill propane, fill/drain water, pack/unpack hoses/cords, hook up/un hook, stow/unstow hitch, and so on.

I enjoy it, it's not hard, but it's not daisies 24/7 either. A new unit will have everyday maintenance issues and so will an old one; doesn't matter how old.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:47 PM   #7

jesilvas it right on--if it moves on wheels, you have to maintain it. Some units have 'lemon' qualities from the start, but all will need constant maintenance. You just can't 'pull-it and forget it.'
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
I looked at the pumas but they lack the 3 bed bunkhouse we need as well as the outdoor kitchen. I'm thinking we will need a 34-36 footer. I had been looking at the Elkridge but once I saw in person I was a little disappointed. I have also read multiple complaints about build quality-so many now that I feel there must be some validity in it. The Cougar is certainly not priced at entry level (IMO) at $50K; was hoping to find a good quality one for 28-30K (40K MSRP)but maybe I am dreaming....LOL. I do not want a used one at this point; I have an old house that I am constantly doing maintenace on and do not want a camper that I have to constatly fix things on either =).
Check out the Sunset Trail Super Lites.
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:12 PM   #9

I had two dealers make a comment very similar to one another. Both of them had no axe to grind because I all ready had a Carriage. Both said Jayco makes one of the best lower priced units on the road. Just don't put a motor in it. In other words, Jayco did not make a good motorhome. Both said if they were buying a lower priced unit, it would be a Jayco. I have friends that a bought a Cougar a year ago and love it.

Bob
Old 05-04-2014, 12:58 PM   #10

they are right lots of work . Most of its normal every day stuff. I have a 99 Jayco Designer 37 foot and love it live in it fulltime with two dogs two kids and the wife . Wouldn't have it any other way .. Everyone does there part in the up keep. We have been more of a family now then when we had are house .now the 21 year old wants to do the same . And when we go down to Tennessee the 23 year old and her boyfriend will meet up with us with there TT . But just remember lots of work ,but it can be fun for everyone. Good luck 8)
Old 05-13-2014, 05:43 AM   #11

I'm not referring to regular maintennce-just don't want nusance repairs!
Old 05-13-2014, 08:15 AM   #12

Quote:
I'm not referring to regular maintennce-just don't want nusance repairs!
Guess I'm not following; what do you refer to as a nuisance?

Something will eventually break. You mean poor workmanship possibly?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:32 AM   #13

Quote:
I am currently looking at the Hideout 308BHDS and the Jayco Touring 31.5BHTS. These are both entry level 5ers which I have been unable to locate within a reasobable driving distance. We have seen (in person) the Cougar 330RBK and the Jayco 34.5bhts. These are verry nice units but a little more than I was hoping to pay. My question is why can I not find any of the entry level units. Is it because they sell out fast or because they just don't make many since they are entry level. There is a significant difference in the MSRP of the entry level vs. midlevel-how are these cost diffences explained? Build and structual quality and/or interior finishes. Any guidance would be appreciated!
I just got a new 2014 Heartland Prowler. It has many great features and the price is right! Huge rooms bunkhouse and slides. Great for entry level 5er. I pick it up on FRi can't wait!
Shellbabbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:28 PM   #14

Yes-workmanship issues. I know there is no guarantee though.