Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2019, 11:13 AM   #15
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
Well, as most threads do, this one has taken on a life of it's own. Still playing around with the BD5 to get a decent ride. I'm going to add a wireless air compressor so I can change it on the fly and see what pressures ride the best.

I'm skeptical of the subject hitch, as I have not seen one or heard any direct experience. Guess I'll wait on that. I hadn't really thought it thru, and I do agree that the lack of adjustment is a potential issue. Will keep on using what I have.

As far as the Goosebox and Lippert - one way or another, they are in bed with each other. I wish they'd just make it standard equipment on the units that it's rated for, as it provides a superior ride, and I have yet to see someone using it drop a fiver on their truck - something I'm deathly afraid of with the traditional hitch! Getting the bed of your truck back is a serious bonus!
I use an Airlift Wireless One with my BD3. Works well. It's nice to be able to adjust it on the fly, although I rarely do. 65 psi is the sweet spot for mine.
JDT is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2019, 02:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
Well, as most threads do, this one has taken on a life of it's own. Still playing around with the BD5 to get a decent ride. I'm going to add a wireless air compressor so I can change it on the fly and see what pressures ride the best.

I'm skeptical of the subject hitch, as I have not seen one or heard any direct experience. Guess I'll wait on that. I hadn't really thought it thru, and I do agree that the lack of adjustment is a potential issue. Will keep on using what I have.

As far as the Goosebox and Lippert - one way or another, they are in bed with each other. I wish they'd just make it standard equipment on the units that it's rated for, as it provides a superior ride, and I have yet to see someone using it drop a fiver on their truck - something I'm deathly afraid of with the traditional hitch! Getting the bed of your truck back is a serious bonus!
Here is a wild thought. You might try to disconnect two of the shocks. Could be the compliance may be stiff because they are new (or maybe cold). Should be easy to do as they are just clipped on. If that helps the ride it would seem logical that they would wear in over time.

Or, you could disconnect all four shocks to verify the head carriage rides smoothly on the uprights. It might need adjusting or you got a bad hitch. Good luck.
Old 12-27-2019, 02:32 PM   #17

The Gen-Y pin box looks interesting - especially at half the price of a Trailer Saver. Here's another option that might be worth a look:

https://www.comfortridehitch.com/
Old 01-08-2020, 09:45 PM   #18

I知 also interested in this hitch . I have a New Horizon on order. I have asked NH about Trailer Saver and Comfort Ride and was told to hold off they were testing a Gen-Y hitch on their trip to the Tampa RV show . They seem to think it will handle most of their builds . I知 waiting on the road test they are doing to decide. I really like the idea of the gooseneck version and freeing up bed space. They said any of their frames are built to handle the gooseneck with no problems.
cwall59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwall59 View Post
I知 also interested in this hitch . I have a New Horizon on order. I have asked NH about Trailer Saver and Comfort Ride and was told to hold off they were testing a Gen-Y hitch on their trip to the Tampa RV show . They seem to think it will handle most of their builds . I知 waiting on the road test they are doing to decide. I really like the idea of the gooseneck version and freeing up bed space. They said any of their frames are built to handle the gooseneck with no problems.

Post back when you hear what they thought of the hitch. I'd like to hear direct knowledge from heavy rigs - apples to apples comparison.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:42 PM   #20
JDT

Watching also. Our Excel has a house built fully boxed frame that makes my 35 foot Winslow pretty heavy so I think I would be pretty safe with a hitch like the Gen-Y or maybe the Goose Box. The pin on our Excel is mounted to what I think is a Faber box which has holes spread at 9 1/2 inches apart and with a center row of holes. The Gen-Y has their outside most holes spread at 8 3/4 so not a match. I'm trying to get info on the Reese Goose Box to see how their pattern works. I called both Reese and Gen-Y and both suggested the possibility of getting at least one side of their hitches to match existing holes on my box and drilling new holes for the other side. Sounds reasonable but will have to think about it. Certainly don't have to worry about any warranty as Excel folded 4 years ago.

I like the idea of only having to remove a hitch ball instead of a heavy hitch when I need my truck bed open.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:26 AM   #21

I believe the Executive is rated up to 30k and has pin weight options from 2.5k up to 5.5k . I知 hoping the NH folks are happy with the results.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:57 AM   #22
JDT

I confirmed today that the Goosebox will work on my Winslow but don't want to do anything until I see a report on the Gen-Y. The advantage of the Goosebox for me is with the air bag I can release the air and lower the front of the fifth wheel a bit. I need the extra clearance for it to fit in my 13' opening for my rv garage. I just need a ride comparison for the two.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwall59 View Post
I believe the Executive is rated up to 30k and has pin weight options from 2.5k up to 5.5k . I知 hoping the NH folks are happy with the results.
5500 pin weight wont be enough for the bigger NH models loaded. Many of them are over 6k on the pin. some even heavier.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:54 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
5500 pin weight wont be enough for the bigger NH models loaded. Many of them are over 6k on the pin. some even heavier.
They think mine should fall in to one of the ratings pretty easily, I知 hoping all goes good with the test.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:40 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
I confirmed today that the Goosebox will work on my Winslow but don't want to do anything until I see a report on the Gen-Y. The advantage of the Goosebox for me is with the air bag I can release the air and lower the front of the fifth wheel a bit. I need the extra clearance for it to fit in my 13' opening for my rv garage. I just need a ride comparison for the two.

My thought, should I switch, is to add airbags to to the truck for adjustability. When I had them on the last truck, I could change height by a couple inches as well as soften/tighten the ride.

While the ride of this BD5 is good, I hate hitching it up, and I hate having it in the bed of the truck. When we're not towing, I use my truck bed for all kinds of stuff.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel