Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2019, 09:51 AM   #1

Executive Fifth Wheel Hitch

Any try one of these?

https://genyhitch.com/product/execut...68VFQ81VuTjjuc

The Trailer Saver is good, but I miss my Goosebox. This one meets my trailer weight and pin weight specs, so it's an option. Would like to hear about it before spending the cash.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2019, 11:02 AM   #2

Interesting concept. I have two areas of concern. Since the preload is not adjustable like an air hitch, your ride will vary. This would be especially true with your toy hauler as your pin weights will vary with garage loading. Secondly, I would want to ensure that you have sufficient pin weight with the garage full to depress the unit enough so that the links slope upward. If the links still slope downward (as in the unloaded position), the device will push the truck forward when hitting a bump and exacerbate chucking forces. It should help with chucking with an upward slope.

I would experiment with your BD5 first with the garage loaded as far as air pressure. I find with my TS3 that a minimal difference in air pressure makes a large difference in ride softness.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:03 PM   #3

I’d call and confirm with LCI/Lippert if your still under warranty to confirm this hitch won’t void a fame warranty. That being said, I think I’d go air ride, like has Been said there’s no adjustable prelude on the hitch for ride quality.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clomok View Post
I’d call and confirm with LCI/Lippert if your still under warranty to confirm this hitch won’t void a fame warranty. That being said, I think I’d go air ride, like has Been said there’s no adjustable prelude on the hitch for ride quality.
Of course it will void the warranty.
LCI is Exclusive Supplier of the goosebox and that is one of the main reasons any other gooseneck system will void the warranty. Not because it hurts the frame but because it increases their sales plus at the same time gives them an out to void a repair bill to the end user.
Scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 01:59 PM   #5

Lack of user adjustability on that torsion spring is a big q for me. Goose box air bag seems better and I amassing patented.

I do like the idea of riding the hitch in bed
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobert View Post
Of course it will void the warranty.
LCI is Exclusive Supplier of the goosebox and that is one of the main reasons any other gooseneck system will void the warranty. Not because it hurts the frame but because it increases their sales plus at the same time gives them an out to void a repair bill to the end user.
Not sure that is true. Reese is owned by a different portfolio company, and you can buy a Goose Box through many different distribution channels.

I’ve never found a link between Goose Box and Lippert besides being endorsed. I was a skeptic, too.
Tdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
Any try one of these?

https://genyhitch.com/product/execut...68VFQ81VuTjjuc

The Trailer Saver is good, but I miss my Goosebox. This one meets my trailer weight and pin weight specs, so it's an option. Would like to hear about it before spending the cash.
As a Goose Box owner, I feel your pain. Glad my pin weight allows me to keep using mine, I love it.

Compared to the Goose Box design, what would concern me about this design is it’s limited “over ball” pivot action. The GenY movable links allow up and down action, but not so much forward/aft as the Goose Box does. The pivot point on the Goose Box is in front of the ball, which allows more of an arc motion vs the GenY. I could see that as a reason why it wouldn’t be Lippert frame approved.

Arc motion is more realistic to the behavior of the trailer vs the tow vehicle, the trailer doesn’t just move up and down, it is essentially anchored at the hitch point so the rear moves up and down more than the front, so you want the front to be able to follow an arc motion to relieve energy at the limit.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdave View Post
Not sure that is true. Reese is owned by a different portfolio company, and you can buy a Goose Box through many different distribution channels.

I’ve never found a link between Goose Box and Lippert besides being endorsed. I was a skeptic, too.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/lippert-components-designated-exclusive-supplier-of-reese-goose-box-pin-box-by-cequent-performance-products-127893378.html

https://ih.advfn.com/stock-market/NYSE/lci-industries-LCII/stock-news/48854599/lippert-components-designated-exclusive-supplier-o
Old 12-22-2019, 08:45 PM   #9

Quote:
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/lippert-components-designated-exclusive-supplier-of-reese-goose-box-pin-box-by-cequent-performance-products-127893378.html

https://ih.advfn.com/stock-market/NY...ive-supplier-o
2011? I had no idea the Goose Box is that old. It took another 5 years until people started using it relatively mainstream, and I still don’t know of any OEM that supplies it stock with their rigs, regardless if Lippert makes their frames.

Again, two separate companies, and you can buy the Goose Box through a bunch of different retailers.

I’m not naive to conspiracies, but I’m not seeing one here.

Lippert could have just as easily limited warranty coverage to only their own pin boxes, and blocked a competitor altogether.

I have to assume they saw the design superiority of this product and were willing to sign off on the warranty compliance to offer a true gooseneck solution to customers, instead of the damaging adapters people were using.

And in exchange they negotiated exclusive distribution.

They could have done that with other gooseneck adapters out there, but didn’t.

Who is to say they won’t with other designs that meet their design criteria. If it were just about cutting out the competition, they could have done that by blacklisting Reese. There must be something about the inherent design that they like.

Why endorse a competing product that knowingly damages your own? That seems like a very short term goal.
Old 12-22-2019, 09:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Again, two separate companies, and you can buy the Goose Box through a bunch of different retailers.
Does not matter who you buy it from. As an exclusive supplier all sales originate from LCI and they are going to get paid for each one not matter who sells it.

Quote:
Lippert could have just as easily limited warranty coverage to only their own pin boxes, and blocked a competitor altogether.
That is excactly what they have done. Name another gooseneck hitch that will not void the warranty.

Quote:
There must be something about the inherent design that they like.
There is nothing wrong with the design or the hitch. If they made one that fit my 5er I would have one on it.

What it has done is give them the perfect out of a warranty claim. Looks like you used a hitch that violates our warranty (whether you did or not doesn't matter), warranty claim denied. While at the same time giving them exclusive segment of the market with the simple statement "any gooseneck hitch (other then ours) will void your warranty.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Does not matter who you buy it from. As an exclusive supplier all sales originate from LCI and they are going to get paid for each one not matter who sells it.

That is excactly what they have done. Name another gooseneck hitch that will not void the warranty.

There is nothing wrong with the design or the hitch. If they made one that fit my 5er I would have one on it.

What it has done is give them the perfect out of a warranty claim. Looks like you used a hitch that violates our warranty (whether you did or not doesn't matter), warranty claim denied. While at the same time giving them exclusive segment of the market with the simple statement "any gooseneck hitch (other then ours) will void your warranty.
Again, why choose the Goose Box to do this with? If their intent was to deny warranties by arbitrarily picking a goose neck design that they secured rights to, they had plenty of others to do this with, long before the Goose Box came out.

It’s not like the Goose Box was the first gooseneck adapter.

I choose to see this as them seeing a sound design and leveraging their place in the market to secure an exclusive.

My take is less nefarious than yours.

In fact, if you correspond with them, which I have, they don’t say that other designs will void your warranty, they just say that if there is a problem with your frame using other designs, you will not receive warranty help. There is a distinction.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Again, why choose the Goose Box to do this with? If their intent was to deny warranties by arbitrarily picking a goose neck design that they secured rights to, they had plenty of others to do this with, long before the Goose Box came out.

It’s not like the Goose Box was the first gooseneck adapter.

I choose to see this as them seeing a sound design and leveraging their place in the market to secure an exclusive.

My take is less nefarious than yours.

In fact, if you correspond with them, which I have, they don’t say that other designs will void your warranty, they just say that if there is a problem with your frame using other designs, you will not receive warranty help. There is a distinction.
Whatever, deny all you want. I have seen it in action.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:40 PM   #13

Well, as most threads do, this one has taken on a life of it's own. Still playing around with the BD5 to get a decent ride. I'm going to add a wireless air compressor so I can change it on the fly and see what pressures ride the best.

I'm skeptical of the subject hitch, as I have not seen one or heard any direct experience. Guess I'll wait on that. I hadn't really thought it thru, and I do agree that the lack of adjustment is a potential issue. Will keep on using what I have.

As far as the Goosebox and Lippert - one way or another, they are in bed with each other. I wish they'd just make it standard equipment on the units that it's rated for, as it provides a superior ride, and I have yet to see someone using it drop a fiver on their truck - something I'm deathly afraid of with the traditional hitch! Getting the bed of your truck back is a serious bonus!
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 01:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
Well, as most threads do, this one has taken on a life of it's own. Still playing around with the BD5 to get a decent ride. I'm going to add a wireless air compressor so I can change it on the fly and see what pressures ride the best.

I'm skeptical of the subject hitch, as I have not seen one or heard any direct experience. Guess I'll wait on that. I hadn't really thought it thru, and I do agree that the lack of adjustment is a potential issue. Will keep on using what I have.

As far as the Goosebox and Lippert - one way or another, they are in bed with each other. I wish they'd just make it standard equipment on the units that it's rated for, as it provides a superior ride, and I have yet to see someone using it drop a fiver on their truck - something I'm deathly afraid of with the traditional hitch! Getting the bed of your truck back is a serious bonus!
Agree with all your thoughts and still with i could put a goosebox on my 5er. It would save me money over going with the bd3/ bd5

Tags
fifth wheel