Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #1

Unhappy Fan-tastic fan won't stop running

Our 5th wheel has a Fan-tastic fan and it's awesome BUT last night we left it running since it was so hot at the campground. I woke this morning to the wheel turning and not stopping. The vent was turned off at the control on the wall/thermostat but the wheel was grinding away, like it was trying to open or close. I turned the thermostat back on and off, flipped the in/out switch, nothing. It continued to run (the auto/manual wheel on the fan). I tried pulling the fuse..... nothing, it continues to run. Anyone have this same problem?
juliegee333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #2

Your raise and lower knob may not be engaged. Try pushing in, or pulling it out. It may be that the thermostat is trying to close the vent but the knob is not engaged, and therefore just keeps turning.
Rbhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #3

If you pulled the fuse and it still runs, I would have to guess it is either miswired or the fuse is mislabeled... or you have figured out a way to create wireless electricity. Are you sure it's actually running and not just turning due to airflow thru the vanes?
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #4

There are a couple of circuit boards in the roof to control the fan functions, and there a several different model levels of fantastic fan , but to keep running with the fuse removed .
If you have info on the fan ; owners manual , model number; give Fantastic Fan a call and see if they can help.
Is it possible that the auto/ manual , knob got pulled to the manual ( down ) position , and just needs to be pushed up to re-engage the drive?
Man, everyone types faster than I do.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #5

Just had this happen t me. The vent motor has a short attachment on the motor gear that engages with the teeth on your vent raise bar. The teeth in the extension are striped & not engaging. you can hold the the turning knob & the resistance should stop the motor from turning. Much like it does when the vent closes or opens. Then call Fantastic & they will help you out with a new motor.
800-521-0298

Reg
Old 06-15-2013, 06:24 AM   #6

Awesome suggestions for the Fan-tastic

I was getting ready to call the company BUT my wonderful and smart husband got it to stop by holding onto the knob that raises and lowers the vent. He then proceeded to take it apart and found that the knob-stop was broken. The knob stops when it hits the plastic "stop" because of resistance.

We're in Weiser, ID and the only place to go was the local hardware. He took the broken "stop" and found something that would work perfectly. Now the fan is fixed. We use this fan all of the time, so it was really important to get it fixed.

Thanks to all of you for your great suggestions!
juliegee333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:27 AM   #7
Community Administrator

That was a good ending. Thanks for the update. If you could post a photo or description of what hubby bought to fix it , that would be helpful to others. Thanks

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan