Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2018, 06:04 PM   #15

So are you saying that a 28 ft 5Th wheel would be okay if you unhitched the truck and parked it elsewhere? That would be okay with us. We like to stay places for several days any ways so we would likely be unhooking anyway to travel around.
Lstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2018, 06:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lstyles View Post
So are you saying that a 28 ft 5Th wheel would be okay if you unhitched the truck and parked it elsewhere? That would be okay with us. We like to stay places for several days any ways so we would likely be unhooking anyway to travel around.
In a few places in Washington the spots are plenty long enough it is just narrow roads to contend with.
bookem15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:54 PM   #17

Quote:
"All of the numbers included here are the COMBINED lengths of the tow vehicle and the trailer/fifth wheel, or the motorhome and the towed vehicle. So you need to add the length of the RV and the vehicle together."

So, a 28' fifth wheel, with truck, is > 40' for the purposes of this discussion. It's not just the size of the SITE that matters, it's the ability to navigate the twisty turns in the road leading to the site (at which time you can't unhook the truck!), as well as the height restrictions imposed by trees that aren't as groomed as they would be in a private campground. Fifth wheels are generally the tallest of all RV types.

Part of the answer boils down to the skill of the driver. I've seen more than one fifth wheel forced to back all the way out of a campground because they got to a turn that was too sharp to navigate. I've also seen a few parked in sites where I have no idea how they made it through.
OregonJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:37 PM   #18

I understand that length is not the only consideration and that driving/towing skill is equally important. One of these reasons we want to get a smaller 5th wheel is to make more places available to us and make it easier to tow. I guess my concern is that, based on the numbers presented, there will be many places that we won’t be allowed to go to solely based on the combined length of our 5th wheel. This would be different than with an RV towing another vehicle as they could be unhitched and independently driven to a particular spot whereas with a truck towing a 5th wheel, the 5th wheel is dependent on the truck for placement. The length restriction would seem to unfairly hinder the RV towing another vehicle.
Lstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:39 PM   #19

Quote:
I understand that length is not the only consideration and that driving/towing skill is equally important. One of these reasons we want to get a smaller 5th wheel is to make more places available to us and make it easier to tow. I guess my concern is that, based on the numbers presented, there will be many places that we won’t be allowed to go to solely based on the combined length of our 5th wheel. This would be different than with an RV towing another vehicle as they could be unhitched and independently driven to a particular spot whereas with a truck towing a 5th wheel, the 5th wheel is dependent on the truck for placement.
That was one of my concerns as well, and a reason why we are searching for a Class A now rather than a 5th wheel. You need a wider road to make a turn with a 5th wheel due to the inside tracking of the trailer's wheels coupled with the tail swing on the opposite side.

Quote:
The length restriction would seem to unfairly hinder the RV towing another vehicle.
I don't understand what you mean here. The RV towing a vehicle would be at an advantage because, as you said above, the towed vehicle can be unhitched and driven independently. The 5th wheel is the one that would be hindered. Also, I'm not sure how fairness enters the picture. Do you think that all parks should accommodate every size and type of RV? Many of them were established long before RVs, or when small travel trailers were the norm.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:08 PM   #20

I've owned over a dozen rigs over the years, the current one being the longest towable with my 5er listing at 35ft and change, actual length over 38ft. The length really limits us as to what we can get in to National park wise, the width with slides on both sides hurts sometimes, and height can be an issue as well. Even in the national parks you can fit into, there are generally very few spots long enough so they can be hard to get. National forest wise, well over half the campgrounds in our area are ones we can't get into due to size. As we head south into southern Utah, Az, Nevada etc. spaces tend to be bigger. Most state parks in our area have quite a few spots for larger rigs, but the folks with smaller units have more options.

As for figuring out how big the spot is based on the web, it's hard. Sometimes they list the length of the rv parking spot, and there is a driveway, or room to the side to park your vehicle. In other parks, you have to fit everything into the listed spot which ends up having no extra room, and they won't allow you to park in any other area.

Finally, more often than not there are quite a few spots you can easily fit into in actual RV parks, and we've found more often than not if their is an issue it's tight turns due to trees, or other obstacles. In our case I would much rather have one of the smaller rigs we've owned, and spend more time in the "Campground type areas". They generally are miles down dirt roads, have a pit toilet or two, and may or may not have a source of potable water. The wife on the other hand, wants all the comforts of a bigger rig or she doesn't like to go. Thus, we go relatively big or stay home. It's all about what works for you.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookem15 View Post
I had my wife hit the wall of the slide out on a cougar then drove 30 miles to have her hit the wall of slide on 303rls. She tells me she will not go with anything other than the Grand Design. [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]
I was at an RV show a couple weeks ago. Went into a 2018 Cougar and leaned up against an interior wall with my hand. It buckled. It was made, quite literally, of cardboard. From what I've gathered after talking to many people, both owners and service people, build quality and materials across the entire industry took a nosedive in 2008, and hasn't yet recovered. What is "high end" today would have been considered middle of the road 10 years ago, quality wise. My wife & I are now searching exclusively for a Class A DP that is older than 2008. We don't trust the longevity of anything being built today (for full-time use).
Old 11-04-2018, 10:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
I was at an RV show a couple weeks ago. Went into a 2018 Cougar and leaned up against an interior wall with my hand. It buckled. It was made, quite literally, of cardboard. From what I've gathered after talking to many people, both owners and service people, build quality and materials across the entire industry took a nosedive in 2008, and hasn't yet recovered. What is "high end" today would have been considered middle of the road 10 years ago, quality wise. My wife & I are now searching exclusively for a Class A DP that is older than 2008. We don't trust the longevity of anything being built today.
I would definitely agree with that. We have spent the last couple of months researching and the best manufacturer that we have found so far is Grand Design. I still have more looking to do but I want to make sure we get a 5er that will last.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:58 PM   #23

Quote:
I would definitely agree with that. We have spent the last couple of months researching and the best manufacturer that we have found so far is Grand Design. I still have more looking to do but I want to make sure we get a 5er that will last.
I have heard a lot of good things about Grand Design, though I've never seen one in person.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:37 PM   #24

I have a 2018 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 220RK. At 26'7" it is the shortest out there. Unfortunately they are dropping the floor plan. Dealer stock only. It is built very solid and quality. My older unit was closer to 32 feet and with a dully crew cab long bed TV I needed to be careful where I parked. Now I can probably fit in everywhere.
YODA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:16 PM   #25

Wow this is amazing, one of these public campground threads that has yet to devolve into someone claiming that because they once parked a 45 ft rv in a space labelled as 25 ft then you should not worry about length.

As I see it the simple truth is the shorter your RV the more likely you are to find a space you will fit in. Also just because a campground at a popular park with 300 rv sites has 7 of them that will accommodate a 45 ft RV does not mean you can get reservations when you need them.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Really? You should feel the difference, on the cougar the wall is flimsy and gives on the GD it is solid. Try it once
What do you gain though?

Cougar and GD are two very different brands with different goals/markets.

I would expect the cougar to be less rigid because it's lighter and cheaper.

1)Solid
2)Lightweight
3)Inexpensive

Pick any 2.

I was wondering if the more solid slide wall was for sound maybe? I dunno.

If you were comparing two rv's with the same goals/market/price range then I guess banging on the walls might tell you... something. Not sure it's telling you anything you couldn't already tell from spending 10 minutes inside.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraura View Post
What do you gain though?

Cougar and GD are two very different brands with different goals/markets.

I would expect the cougar to be less rigid because it's lighter and cheaper.

1)Solid
2)Lightweight
3)Inexpensive

Pick any 2.

I was wondering if the more solid slide wall was for sound maybe? I dunno.

If you were comparing two rv's with the same goals/market/price range then I guess banging on the walls might tell you... something. Not sure it's telling you anything you couldn't already tell from spending 10 minutes inside.
It was my attempt to explain t ok her the difference between the 2 units was all. I did not want to tell her tough [moderator edit] we are getting this one because I said so. I was trying to give her differences between the 2 so she could be involved in the choice.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:45 PM   #28

28 Ft and Counting

Were not full timers but we have been RV'ing since 2004. We live out west but have still traveled over 150K. W'eve visited all 4 corners and spent 3 months in Alaska, driving both highways. The sweet spot for us, has been about 28ft. Just roomy enough for 2 people and 2 cats but short enough to maneuver through most RV parks. Spaces for us back east did tend to be smaller and some were just not doable. But we generally found something to fit. Height for us is also an issue. At 13 ft we have to be cautious and have definitely had issues not clearing things. We carry some big loppers and a set of saws which we have had to use on occasion.This can get you into trouble in some places and is not a good option, but one we have had to exercise when branches drooped in rain or snow. We also have had to allow for the length of our truck, which has just "grown" a foot as it is now an F350 Crew Cab. Hopefully it wont limit things too much.
our 2 cents...
regards
Bill and Carole
wfrone is offline   Reply With Quote