Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2018, 09:37 PM   #29

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have a 30 footer and can squeeze into the majority of spots. The hardest part is the front end swing of our dually long box, more than once I have needed to dip into a culvert to get into the spot.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2018, 12:49 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lstyles View Post
Thanks for the link to the calculations on how many campgrounds will accept a particular length. The problem with this analysis is that, as they point out,with 5th wheels you have to add the length of the tow vehicle to the length of the trailer itself so even with a 5th wheel as short as 28 feet with a 20ft truck you have 48 ft of combined length at a minimum which per their calculations means you can only use <7% of National park campgrounds with a 5th wheel set up towing a small 5th wheel. Is that really true??? Would the same thing apply for date parks?? We are considering getting a 5th wheel set up and don’t really like the tight spacing that exists in a lot of the private campgrounds/RV parks we have seen.
This could be a deal breaker for us!
What has been other people’s experience with this?
Thanks
Lori

We have been staying in state parks and corps of engineer parks for 25 years and never had a problem with our 35 foot. They always ask the size of the unit. Not unit plus tow vehicle. Our new camper is 42 feet. We have had some issues finding places for this one!
Katheryn58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:10 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryn58 View Post
We have been staying in state parks and corps of engineer parks for 25 years and never had a problem with our 35 foot. They always ask the size of the unit. Not unit plus tow vehicle. Our new camper is 42 feet. We have had some issues finding places for this one!
We have been spending so much time trying to stay around 32 feet but really want to go to 35 feet. I know going to 35 feet takes out one of our campgrounds but it may be worth it.
bookem15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:24 AM   #32

We rarely had a problem with our 35 foot. Yes, it’s a balance. More room vs fewer places to stay. We have definitely had a few problems finding a place for the 42 foot at state and national parks but 35 is very doable. I will say we have been forced to find higher end private parks to accommodate us and although slightly more pricey, we have been awed and amazed at some of the amenities. We wouldn’t have even tried these parks if our unit would have fit in nearby state parks so I think we have expanded our horizons a bit as a result. I say buy what you want and can comfortably handle. If it’s too big for one park you’ll find another! Have fun!!!
Old 11-15-2018, 05:46 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryn58 View Post
We rarely had a problem with our 35 foot. Yes, it’s a balance. More room vs fewer places to stay. We have definitely had a few problems finding a place for the 42 foot at state and national parks but 35 is very doable. I will say we have been forced to find higher end private parks to accommodate us and although slightly more pricey, we have been awed and amazed at some of the amenities. We wouldn’t have even tried these parks if our unit would have fit in nearby state parks so I think we have expanded our horizons a bit as a result. I say buy what you want and can comfortably handle. If it’s too big for one park you’ll find another! Have fun!!!
That's actually a very valid point it would make us think of different places to go which could only be a good thing.
bookem15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:18 PM   #34

That’s what RVing is all about to me-/finding new places!!
Old 11-18-2018, 03:59 PM   #35

We do most of our camping in federal, state, and national parks. The shorter your trailer the more sites you will be able to use. We had a 36 foot and now have a 29 foot 5er that actually measures 32. My husband does not like to unhook if we can avoid it. We find places in The Grand Tetons and Glacier every year. We have been to all 49 states with this rig. Please feel free to PM me if you want more tips. In Oregon and Washington state parks we reserve ahead a few days at a time. Otherwise we avoid making reservations. We don't need hook ups and we don't have a generator. We do carry extra batteries.
Lucy
Lucyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:18 PM   #36

We like to use National Parks, State Parks, BLM Lands and NFS Campgrounds, but we have a 37' 5th wheel, so we decide where we want to go, and use RV Trip Wizard and/or RV Park Reviews to determine where we can stay. The reviews really help too, since many people comment if getting into the park is difficult, and if there problems to watch for.
OlJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:05 PM   #37

After months of researching and looking, we just purchased a Grand Design Reflection 303rls. We have not used it yet...will head to Florida in January, but we chose the 303 rls specifically because it will fit much more easily on sites in our (Michigan) state campgrounds, which we frequent in the summer.
Ravcon74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:14 PM   #38

Don't be fooled into believing model numbers indicate length. Don't take the dealers word either. Measure!
rkbeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:35 PM   #39

Our rig == 1997 Ford CF8000 housetruck.

Our situation == we boondock exclusively, often wintering on remote Baja beaches.

Your size depends on your requirements:
How much time do you spend inside the rig?
What are your inside activities?

As one example, we use the rig to shower and sleep, and infrequently to cook.
We full-time because we rather spend every waking moment outside, so our rig living space is 7.5w x 12.5long x 7h. This's perfect for us.

Why do we boondock exclusively?
We like peace and quiet.
We prefer solitude.
We have zero interest in 'amenities' such as organized sports, badminton or shuffle-board or gossip about those neighbors.
And we meet the nicest people boondocking... such as other boondockers.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:44 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookem15 View Post
...I had my wife hit the wall of the slide out on a cougar...
Did the cougar survive?
Some say cougar is good eatin'.

But only if'n the dang thing is dead. Cooking-up and gnawing on a live cougar sounds like more fun than I could handle.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:47 PM   #41

You might want to plan a few hypothetical trips and check those campgrounds you would like to stay in. Or list the parks you have on your bucket list for length limits. For example. Tuolumne Meadows in Yosemite has lots of sites but max is 24 feet. In Yosemite Valley, there are hundreds of sites but only a half dozen that do over 25 feet (those are 35 feet and are the first to go when the reservation window opens). Staying outside of Yosemite means considerable drive time going in and out. We have a 30' 5er and are more often unable to use BLM and NFS campgrounds than State and National parks. Lots of those are 24' or less.
Yes, trees can be a problem (we are 12-9). Often you don't know until you get there that your site is not tall enough (even if you use Google Earth diligently). We've had that issue a few times.
hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:13 AM   #42

Just this year I sold a Montana 5'er for this reason. It just wouldn't fit in most places I wanted to go. Sure they had a few spots to accommodate it but but darn few,and they were always full! Also the height was a very real issue in trees. I bought a new Outdoors RV 26rks and I lost a solid 10ft of length and a solid foot of height. Still plenty big for 2 of us and will actually accommodate way more occasional guests than the bigger Montana. I actually started to resent the size of that Montana because I had so many problems getting reservations or spots where I really wanted to be and always had to settle for something less favorable. I'm really glad it's gone.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote