Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2020, 06:45 PM   #1

Question Feedback on towing TT vs 5er... 28-30 foot range

Anyone moved from towing a 28-foot TT to a 28-30 foot 5er and can share overall towing/maneuvering experience?

Looking to be more agile than I am now when towing the TT... gas stations, getting in/out of parking lots and campsites... anyone?

Thanks!
tennisman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2020, 06:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisman77 View Post
Anyone moved from towing a 28-foot TT to a 28-30 foot 5er and can share overall towing/maneuvering experience?

Looking to be more agile than I am now when towing the TT... gas stations, getting in/out of parking lots and campsites... anyone?

Thanks!
I recently asked a question that generated some answers that may be applicable to you:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/why-...el-506608.html
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:36 PM   #3

Your OAL will be shorter with the 5er. Your height will be higher, remember to look up. Your towing stability will be better. I find backing is easier with the 5er but really doesn't make much difference as to where I can park. I think hooking up is easier with the 5er. Camping is just as fun with either one.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:21 PM   #4

tt to 5er

Went from35' tt to 35' 5er. 5er towed easier probably because changed from Suburban to 2500 Ram for tow vehicle. Never had a problem with length in finding a place to stay.
Tooth Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:54 PM   #5

I'm close; I went from a 25' trailer (OAL) to a 31' fifth wheel. My overall towing lengths are about the same. On the highway the 5er wins hands down, much more stable. My hitch was dialed in on the travel trailer so I had really no complaints there. Around town the TT tracked my truck better and I didn't need to be so cognizant of cutting inside corners. I was a lot better at backing the TT as I could make line corrections due to faster reaction times. Hitch/unhitch times are about the same. The extra weight of the 5er is evident when towing. Chucking mitigation is something you don't have to deal with towing a TT nor bedrail clearance issues. I put in an auxiliary tank so I don't have to fill up with the trailer in tow. I probably wouldn't have done that if I stayed with the TT. The difference is when I arrive - so much more space and comfort. We're thinking it is worth it as we have no plans to return to a TT.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:59 PM   #6

KZ RV Club
A 5W will have a shorter over all length than a bumper pull and will be much more stable in winds. Answer this and you will know the answer. Have you ever seen a bumper pull semi? There is your answer.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 03:02 PM   #7

5th wheel all the way :)

We had a GD 2500RL TT and moved to a GD 230RL 5th and will never go back. The stability on a freeway alone was worth the change. We drive at 60mph, even when the BIG semi's zoom past the 5th is very stable, you dont get the push/pull you get with a TT. Its night and day.

The only down side for me was backing, I spent about 55 years backing trailers (bumper pull) and its in my blood. With the TT my reactions were automatic, never had to stop and think about it. Two years now with a 5th wheel, getting better but still have to stop and think about it

2500RL length = 29' 9"
230RL length = 28' 1"
240RL length = 29' 11" 5th we now own
Old 09-17-2020, 06:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varago View Post
We had a GD 2500RL TT and moved to a GD 230RL 5th and will never go back. The stability on a freeway alone was worth the change. We drive at 60mph, even when the BIG semi's zoom past the 5th is very stable, you dont get the push/pull you get with a TT. Its night and day.

The only down side for me was backing, I spent about 55 years backing trailers (bumper pull) and its in my blood. With the TT my reactions were automatic, never had to stop and think about it. Two years now with a 5th wheel, getting better but still have to stop and think about it

2500RL length = 29' 9"
230RL length = 28' 1"
240RL length = 29' 11" 5th we now own
I have really been salivating over the 240RL. (To a lesser extent the 230RL). It's the 5er that has my wife and I wanting to make the switch from our (much smaller) TT.

You've had 3 GDs ... they must be doing something right.
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:45 AM   #9

I love the size and benefits of the 5er but worry about losing the bed of the pickup for storage. Does that bother you at all? I like the idea that
I can put things in the bed and not worry as much about them smashing the inside of the trailer. I have a 2500 and really like the GD 268BH. I also think it’s funny that they label them as 1/2 ton towable. 1300 dry hitch weight. Prob not great for 1/2 ton.
ardvark16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:50 AM   #10

You will likely have to make a wider swing with the fifth wheel to clear on the inside of a corner as the y do not track behind the truck like a bumper pull.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:19 AM   #11

I went from a 31' TT to a 28' 5er and back to a 31' TT. I will say the 5er handles far better, is easier to hitch up and offers much more exterior storage.
As far as truck bed usage goes, if you have a long bed you still have 3.5'+ from the cab to the 5th hitch. Plenty of room for stuff.
Reason I went back to a TT was more bang for the buck. Do I miss the 5th wheel? Yes. But not enough to spend way more for what I got.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:03 PM   #12

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark16 View Post
I love the size and benefits of the 5er but worry about losing the bed of the pickup for storage. Does that bother you at all? I like the idea that
I can put things in the bed and not worry as much about them smashing the inside of the trailer. I have a 2500 and really like the GD 268BH. I also think it’s funny that they label them as 1/2 ton towable. 1300 dry hitch weight. Prob not great for 1/2 ton.
Some 1/2 tons are rated for that weight but as soon as you add supplies & people your over weight.

As for bed space lost the 5W will have more basement storage than a TT. I have a tool box & 80 gal fuel transfer tank, and still have about 3ft of bed space after the hitch. I have had coolers, wood, & a generator in the bed. We 3/4 time and I have empty cabinets & more room in the basement even with compressor, pressure washer, 4 chairs, grill, rugs and the stuff we all carry, down there.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing