Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2021, 01:51 PM   #1

Fifth wheel hitch height

I am the proud owner of a new 5er, and am using an Andersen hitch.

This hitch is somewhat adjustable in height, with three height positions about 1 1/2” apart. Right now the hitch is at the middle setting, and the nose of the trailer is a little high.

What are the pros and cons of running at the highest setting?

An advantage is that I might be able to keep my current saddle tool box in my truck, as the front of the trailer will clear it unless I get some pretty uneven ground.

A disadvantage is that my rear grey tank might have trouble draining toward the front of the trailer.

Any issues with towing with a nose-high attitude?

I am towing with a long-box crew cab F-350.

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2021, 01:58 PM   #2

Nose high towing
*Can transfer more weight to trailer rear axle/tires
*Can cause chucking
*Can create too light of pin weight
*Can interfere with full draining of waste tanks (waste tanks are designed to gravity drain when trailer is level) MINOR issue

How much nose high is it??
How much bed rail clearance do you have?
How much bed rail clearance would you have it hitch was lower/trailer level?
Saddle tool box stick above bed rail??
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:06 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Nose high can put more weight on the pin. The front axle is carrying less weight, so the pin has to pick up some of the weight the extra weight.

Think of a see-saw.

To get the trailer level, you may have to have a 2" x 2" sub frame added to raise the trailer 2" at the axles.

It all depends on how nose high you are. Measure from the frame to the ground, front and rear to see how level it is.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Nose high can put more weight on the pin. The front axle is carrying less weight, so the pin has to pick up some of the weight the extra weight.

Think of a see-saw.

To get the trailer level, you may have to have a 2" x 2" sub frame added to raise the trailer 2" at the axles.

It all depends on how nose high you are. Measure from the frame to the ground, front and rear to see how level it is.

Ken
Nose high removes weight off pin.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:43 AM   #5

Hi guys, Great topic and one I’ve often thought about? How do you know the right trailer height and is there a way to know so you don’t have to redo the hitch etc?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:54 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Nose high removes weight off pin.
I am not getting to a math and mechanics argument and waste everyone's time.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Hi guys, Great topic and one I’ve often thought about? How do you know the right trailer height and is there a way to know so you don’t have to redo the hitch etc?
NO.....Unfortunately truck mfgs and 5th wheel mfgs do NOT coordinate truck bed rail height and 5vr overhang height

Our itch head height was adjustable up/down, pin box was adjustable up/down as most are

BUT...my leaf spring shackles on the 5th wheel had adjustment holes so total height of 5vr could be raised/lowered
I raised one hole and that made 5vr tow level with 6 1/2" bed rail clearance
Old 09-22-2021, 09:08 AM   #8

I have a similar hitch (PullRite SuperLite) and it is currently at the highest setting. I had to raise my pinbox for my previous hitch. I plan to lower my pinbox and lower the hitch as well not does work but I think the lower setting will give it more stability.
Old 09-22-2021, 12:43 PM   #9

My trailer is nose high by about 2 1/2” over 20 feet. That is approximate, as the grading in my storage area is not perfect.

I have about 8” clear over my bed rails. My old tool box sits up 7 1/2” over the bed rails, so I think I would be asking for trouble if I kept it. I have a long box on my truck, so most of the time I would not have a conflict. I think a low-profile Weatherguard is about 4 1/2” above the bed rails.
Old 09-22-2021, 01:49 PM   #10

My box in front of bed is flush with bed rail and companion box behind hitch next to tailgate is lower then standard 5th wheel hitch head

Internet photo

5vr Box
https://highwayproducts.com/truck-ac...5th-wheel-box/

Companion Box
https://highwayproducts.com/truck-ac...x/partner-box/
Old 09-22-2021, 02:32 PM   #11

I thought about that kind of box, but sitting on the bed it means I cannot haul plywood or other long things.
Old 09-22-2021, 02:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHinman View Post
My trailer is nose high by about 2 1/2” over 20 feet. That is approximate, as the grading in my storage area is not perfect.

I have about 8” clear over my bed rails. My old tool box sits up 7 1/2” over the bed rails, so I think I would be asking for trouble if I kept it. I have a long box on my truck, so most of the time I would not have a conflict. I think a low-profile Weatherguard is about 4 1/2” above the bed rails.
You might consider raising your pinbox one notch and see if that helps alleviate the nose-high issue. You definitely don't want to run nose-high.

I had to do that on mine and now I sit at roughly 6.25" clearance between the bedrail and the overhang.

I run the same type of toolbox as OB (no rear companion box). If I happen to need plywood, I'll either load it and leave the tailgate down, or I just lift the toolbox out.
Nlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
My box in front of bed is flush with bed rail and companion box behind hitch next to tailgate is lower then standard 5th wheel hitch head

Internet photo

5vr Box
https://highwayproducts.com/truck-ac...5th-wheel-box/

Companion Box
https://highwayproducts.com/truck-ac...x/partner-box/
I want a box like the one nearest the tailgate, but I want to set it in the front and up off the floor on some legs. I could still close my tonneau and also slide some plywood or something underneath it.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:25 PM   #14

hitch

Couple things come to mind. if you dont have enough clearance between bed rails and camper you run risk of bottoming out and damaging both rv and truck
outbackmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, hitch