Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2020, 03:56 PM   #1

Fifth Wheel price points

I really don't understand them. I went and looked at 5 new models, all with MSRPs around $90,000 or more with sale prices around $75,000. None are toy haulers. These are considered "high end" fifth wheels but not top of the line like Riverstone or DRV (and certainly not custom). Just a notch below. And I cannot for the life of me figure out how they get to that price point. My 2018 35 foot fifth wheel was at least $35,000 less than them and I would take it over all of them in a heart beat. Sure, there are a few things that were better--all of which might cost a few thousand in total to add/modify to my existing rig.

Can someone explain how companies arrive at this MSRP? I truly am puzzled--and extremely happy with what I have after seeing what I could have.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2020, 04:14 PM   #2

Sadly there is no suck a thing as MSRP whenmit comes to RVs. Prices are set by the dealers based on whst they think the markwt will bare. As for the highmprices? It is what it is in todays market conditions. Back in 2005 I paid 40K for my fiver. Today a similar size in the same brand is about 90K.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:22 PM   #3

Before COVID I would expect discounts to be 30 to 35%. So under 60k for a 90k MSRP RV. I’ve read it’s a sellers market right now so they may be discounting less do to the COVID RV rush.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:24 AM   #4

Currently material cost has gone up on everything, I have friends in some factories and besides some items being hard to get material cost going up is driving prices higher.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Currently material cost has gone up on everything, I have friends in some factories and besides some items being hard to get material cost going up is driving prices higher.

Yeah between everyone wanting something like an RV or boat cause of COVID & the fact many people were laid off which resulted in some materials not being produced. Prices have gone through the roof on both new & used RV's & boats.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulNSerenity View Post
Yeah between everyone wanting something like an RV or boat cause of COVID & the fact many people were laid off which resulted in some materials not being produced. Prices have gone through the roof on both new & used RV's & boats.
I know two folks who could sell their RV last year advertised again this year, added a few thousand and sold for the asking price. Nice rigs, just 10-15 years old.
Old 09-01-2020, 11:02 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We just bought new 5th wheel with factory msrp around $96k. We did get 32% off. We looked at many different brands and price points. Coming from a DP, we wanted something with comparable features and quality. All of the units we felt were comparable were in the $90-110 k msrp range. Things like power retractable power cords, Lippert auto level, one piece shower, and upscale cabinetry were just not available on the lesser priced . I know that some units in a slightly lower price point looked very nice but lacked things like frameless windows, adequate basement storage and had lesser quality drawers and wood trims. Tire quality also differed. There really are a lot of nice new units. We looked hard and also took advantage of reading reviews and watching videos.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:44 AM   #8

Here is a video from Hatlett RV in Coldwater Michigan with a RV industry status update for September 2020.

https://youtu.be/i6aylbJt7rk
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:56 AM   #9

I bet that the units you are looking at in the same size will weigh at least 3,000lbs. more than your current trailer, that ought to tell you something. Almost all of the more inexpensive rigs look similar to the higher priced units, but the quality (and I use that word loosely) is in the things you don’t see.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
I bet that the units you are looking at in the same size will weigh at least 3,000lbs. more than your current trailer, that ought to tell you something. Almost all of the more inexpensive rigs look similar to the higher priced units, but the quality (and I use that word loosely) is in the things you don’t see.
That is what ive been talking about for years. My newmar was great but my Teton weighs 4k more empty then my newmar did empty. 16380 for newmar and 20,985 empty for the the teton based on stickers in cabinet. That is alot for only 4 feet more overall length. Quality weighs alot period.

Price points that a whole other thing. In 98 my newmar stickered for 98kn the sticker on my Teton new in 2007 was 212k. As built. sure thats a big diff but is it worth it i think so based on how it performs in all weather conditions better...much better.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 12:11 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
What is a high price point is all relative. A fellow looking at a Prevost does not think a $400,000 Newmar is high end. A $90,000 5th wheel is not high end when you look at a DVR Mobile Suites or a Spacecraft.

Look at the higher end units and the weight. Basically quality results in higher price and higher weight.

I'll take my 2013 HitchHiker Champagne over anything on the market today. Just look at the higher end RV manufactures that are no longer around....Teton, King of the Road, NuWa HitchHiker, Carriage, Excel....etc. They are all gone. People are more interested in a big box of glitz and bling over at a lower price and lower quality than something that is better built.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 01:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
What is a high price point is all relative. A fellow looking at a Prevost does not think a $400,000 Newmar is high end. A $90,000 5th wheel is not high end when you look at a DVR Mobile Suites or a Spacecraft.

Look at the higher end units and the weight. Basically quality results in higher price and higher weight.

I'll take my 2013 HitchHiker Champagne over anything on the market today. Just look at the higher end RV manufactures that are no longer around....Teton, King of the Road, NuWa HitchHiker, Carriage, Excel....etc. They are all gone. People are more interested in a big box of glitz and bling over at a lower price and lower quality than something that is better built.

Ken
For there first RV they want that. After using it for 6 months or trying to full time it. They soon find out what they have. Talking to RVers every day they many times regret there purchase. Several full timers then ask the question what does hold up. I give them my opinion amd they choose to do what they want.

But if you look at a 5th wheel that was high price point new 100k +. Chances are they took care of it. So thats a rig in my opinion that is desireable. that can be had for much less being 2nd owner.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 01:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
The day I bought my 36' Keystone Hideout 5th wheel it was outside the service bay for the PDI and a guy dropped off his same length 5th wheel (can't remember the brand). We got to comparing weight tags and mine was 9000# rolling out of the factory... his was 12,500#... again, same length. My Hideout has been a good unit but I went in with realistic expectations. And I'm just a weekend warrior. In a few years when I'm closer to retirement I'll likely buy something a lot heavier (and presumably higher quality).

To OP's question, I think it's a combination of Covid supply/demand and general inflation.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveE9C6 View Post
We just bought new 5th wheel with factory msrp around $96k. We did get 32% off. All of the units we felt were comparable were in the $90-110 k msrp range. Things like power retractable power cords, Lippert auto level, one piece shower, and upscale cabinetry were just not available on the lesser priced . I know that some units in a slightly lower price point looked very nice but lacked things like frameless windows, adequate basement storage and had lesser quality drawers and wood trims. Tire quality also differed.
I edited the quote a bit to make it briefer...

So, the units I looked at were from 2 completely different manufacturers. One very well known, the other is a new entry to the RV market. MSRP for both over $90,000.

Neither of the brands had real wood--vinyl wrap. No power cord reel. They did have auto leveling, one piece shower. So does mine. I also have frameless windows, no carpet, flush floors and a PVC roof. I put on the Morryde suspension that theirs comes with. I also added disk brakes--which is not standard on theirs either. My suspension did not cost $35000. I have less basement storage, I will agree. But not $35000 worth. And my unit is the same weight as the one that is the same length as theirs. I have better tank capacities as well. It's a big price jump for nothing that is better than mine, from what I can see.

Tags
fifth wheel