Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2009, 04:14 AM   #1

My wife an I are considering buying a 5th wheel for some road trips now that we are retired. Before we make the investment however we would like to rent one for a trip to see if it is really something we want to do.

If anyone out there knows of an individual who would like to rent their trailer for a few weeks, please let me know. We live on Lake Fork east of Dallas. We would like to find someone within about 100 miles of us.

I think that we would like to find something in the 25+- length range.

Moderator note: Please contact the poster using the PM (private message) system. if you would like to discuss this with him.
Randy Marlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2009, 05:32 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner

Welcome to iRV2.

As for renting a 5th wheel, your best bet is to contact some of the local RV places in your area. Some may rent RV's or know of people that will rent them to individuals.

For the private owner, insurance becomes a real issue. It will probably not cover a unit that is rented.

You are wise to try one out before you make the big investment. Also, you need to consider buying a used one as your first one and avoid the huge depreciation of one.

I am adding a note to your post to have anyone interested in renting their unit to contact you off-line through the PM (private mail) system. You will need to be sure you have this enabled in your profile.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:43 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. How do I enable the private mail option?
Randy Marlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:52 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
You simply click on the GO tab at he top of the fou,s and then select PRIVATE MASSAGING. It will take you to your PM screen. You may want to set your NOTIFICATIONS (on the PM Screen) to notify you when you get a PM.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:36 AM   #5

Here is an ad for some rentals in Sherman, about an hour and a half away.

For Rent: Bumper Pull, 5th Wheel, Travel Trailer. Sleeps 4-8. Free Local Set-up. Fully furn. 903-815-8319
Marvin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:15 AM   #6

I just wanted to chime in and also say "Welcome".

Renting one first is a really good idea.

Like posted above, I'd also highly recommend going used. You might go to a big RV show and make a list and/or take digital photos of ones you like, then cruise classifieds for those.

Pretty much everyone I know who bought their 1st RV leanred what they really want... Island kitchen, corner shower, different size, or even a completely different type of RV.

These things loose a lot of value in the first year or two, even if hardly used, so if you buy new and decide to trade in a year or two you will take a huge loss.

The flip side is that there are often hardly used, very clean RV's out there at a fraction of the price of an equivelent new one.

Anyway, happy shopping (and renting) and let us know what you decide to do and how it works out.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:48 AM   #7

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Quote:
(Jeff_in_The_Dalles) ... Pretty much everyone I know who bought their 1st RV leanred what they really want... Island kitchen, corner shower, different size, or even a completely different type of RV. ..
If someone started a thread here on what reason people traded in their first RV within a year or two for another one and what the main reason was, that thread would go on for months.

I would guess length is a main factor. And the original poster Marlowe has started his search with the size that I bet 80% of we started looking at - prox 25'.
we started at 22' very quickly traded in for 31' and then a few years later went to 33',

renting a 25' trailer might be a perfect way to soon be kicking tires on a 30'
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:26 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
welcome aboard randy
we live at lake fork as well.
howdy neighbor
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:02 PM   #9

some of the places that rent them will set them up for you at your rv park, extra $$ of course but will help you out. i know some in the Austin area use to do that.
TEX-CTD is offline   Reply With Quote