Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #1

Fifth wheel selection criteria

My wife and I are planning to purchase about a 36’ fifth wheel within the next few months. We have narrowed down our choices to an Excel Limited, Mobile Suites or Redwood. We are planning factory tours at all three manufacturers in the coming month. If you were in the market for a fifth wheel, what factors would be most important to you in selecting among our finalists?
GordonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonPC View Post
My wife and I are planning to purchase about a 36’ fifth wheel within the next few months. We have narrowed down our choices to an Excel Limited, Mobile Suites or Redwood. We are planning factory tours at all three manufacturers in the coming month. If you were in the market for a fifth wheel, what factors would be most important to you in selecting among our finalists?
Those are all good Fivers for full timing and are well made from what I have been told. They are also very very heavy units. Find the floor plan and the features that you want and buy. Then go and get a Tow Vehicle that will be able to tow whatever you buy. If you already have a TV then make sure whatever you buy can be towed with your TV and it is up to the job.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #3

mhbell hit the nail on the head. Just be sure your TV is up to the task.
denverhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #4

You can see by my signature which one I would pick. We're on our 2nd Drv, we owned and lived in a Select Suite by Drv for 5 years. However, if this is your 1st rv or your 1st 5'r I would strongly suggest that you buy a quality used unit with a floor plan that you think is comfortable to you. You don't actually know which floor plan is for you until you spend some time in it. I hate to see people buy a new unit and then trade it off in the first or second year because it wasn't "right". No one can make the decision for you. I'm sure all those brands have owner websites, Drv is Suites Owners International Travel Club, Inc.. You may register as a guest and ask any question of actual owners. Don't drive yourself crazy looking for the perfect one, it doesn't exist. Buy a used one and use it for awhile, then go for a new one when you know what floor plan is best for you
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #5

we looked a dozen of floor plans, sizes and styles - every time we added must have like
1. must have room for both to get out bed and go pee at nite- without crawling over each other
2. must have head height both the front and living area - we are both over 6'
3. sliders when pulled in had to have room for both of our dog boxes - i am a hunter
4. had to have a regular table chairs not a booth for the dinning area
5. shower we could fit in - our HR had the round type
6. tanks insulated so we could go places in winter
7. had room for generator -i added ours
8. length alot of fed and state park dont have space for anything over 32-33 feet
stuff that does not matter-
1. stove/oven all were the same
2. fridge unless you get ultra large top end std size is adequate
3. bed - throw the crap out and get air mattress
4. lounge chairs- -again crap throw them out and get lazy boys

cool stuff

1. auto fan with remote in bedroom - dont have to get up and turn it off if you get cold
2. cable wired to basement- i move the tv w/dvd outside ALL the time
3. sink with counter space
hope this helps

ikoolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Get the floor plan you like and a BIG truck.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #7

Number one on my list is livability. When we were shoping we asked the saleaman to leave us alone. We then spent about an hour playing house. Doing everything we normally would in a day. Sure eliminated a lot of trailers in a hurty.