Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2019, 04:58 AM   #29

Since you'll not likely live near your selling dealer, consider this, GD regularly authorizes the use of a mobile mechanic for warranty work.
Something to consider.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2019, 05:35 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtCamper View Post
OH, I have a couple of more thoughts. You're liable to be in some hot country. For sure 2 15000 BTU A/C. It would be great if there was a third roof vent that was wired for a third A/C. You might want to give a point or two the a unit with sliding windows over the new frameless style. Easy to add a window A/C to the slider.

Thank you for the insight. All four seem to have very similar construction guts to them, and similar guarantees in reference to temperatures they will handle.

Good point about the third AC. If we added a third AC, would that cause issue with only 50 amp service?

We looked at KZ. DW isn’t very fond of the interior. While that seems superficial, when we’re full timing in it, happy wife=happy life. We’ll give it another look [emoji57]

A F-350 DRW would have problems with moving those models on a regular basis? At max, they are a little over 16K fully loaded, putting pin at a max of 3500 lbs. That seems to be well within the capabilities of that truck.

Thanks again for all of the helpful insight.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:42 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Keymastr gave some good advice. It would be very unusual to find a quality used RV in your own town. Expect to search nationwide.
The trailers you listed are going to be a big step down in quality and longevity from a 40' Alpine coach.
I'd suggest you visit the factories and see how they are constructed. There is a reason they can be pulled with a lighter duty pickup.
Also ask other folks that have gone from a quality class A diesel to a trailer?
Best of luck!

Vito, appreciate the response. While I understand where you are coming from, the cabinets on the models we are looking at are wood, not quite as heavy as our Alpine, but newer class As aren’t as nice of cabinetry as our Alpine either. I will say the cabinetry in these fifth wheels is almost on par with cabinetry in a brand new Entegra Coach that we walked about a month ago.

I know we will be sacrificing some there, but having a toddler sleeping in our bedroom every night just isn’t going to work. We love the Class A, and our Alpine especially, but full time living thrown us some things that we have to figure out.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:43 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Yung2 Quit View Post
Since you'll not likely live near your selling dealer, consider this, GD regularly authorizes the use of a mobile mechanic for warranty work.
Something to consider.

Appreciate this! That is a huge concern. Only thing there is that we will be here for the duration of the warranty periods.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:26 PM   #33

So we are still having trouble. We walked a Solitude 3740 with the rear bunk room, but no one around here has the mid bunk model. We don’t care for the dealer that has the Palomino line down here, which sucks because we really like that model.

Our number one right now is the North Point.

Now to sell our coach [emoji57]
Old 11-13-2019, 07:00 PM   #34

Yes, 50 amps would be pushing it for 3 A/C. You would have to use energy management skills, ie: careful use of micro and hair dryers. Even then you could be at your limits but soft start capacitors could be added and there are a couple of systems that keep the A/Cs from starting at the same time.

Is your 350 a DRW or a SRW? Realize the units you are looking at have @ 3000# pin weight and dry weights of 14K or so. You'll have no problems with the tow part. It's the pin weight that'll get you in trouble. Most of us want crew cabs and the SRW CCC is 3000-3500. 3000 pin weight, 450 for passengers and another 100-150 for your hitch and you don't have any left for tools, generator, bikes and extra fuel. I'm not saying you can't do it, I see it all the time, but if you are traveling at max load every day stuff breaks. Not trying to burst your bubble, just food for thought.

I agree with the post that you won't find the quality build in a trailer as you have in your current rig. But the trailer will be much easier (less expensive) to repair and maintain.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:29 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Yes, 50 amps would be pushing it for 3 A/C. You would have to use energy management skills, ie: careful use of micro and hair dryers. Even then you could be at your limits but soft start capacitors could be added and there are a couple of systems that keep the A/Cs from starting at the same time.

I agree with the post that you won't find the quality build in a trailer as you have in your current rig. But the trailer will be much easier (less expensive) to repair and maintain.
50 amp RV service is 220v, one 50 amp on each 110v leg X 2 for 100 amp total. Theoretically, you could run 6 A/C units.

I agree the trailer will be easier to maintain than a diesel coach, but you now also have a DRW truck to maintain. And when/if you travel, sightseeing in a dually is not fun.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:48 PM   #36

Quote:

Is your 350 a DRW or a SRW? Realize the units you are looking at have @ 3000# pin weight and dry weights of 14K or so. You'll have no problems with the tow part. It's the pin weight that'll get you in trouble. Most of us want crew cabs and the SRW CCC is 3000-3500. 3000 pin weight, 450 for passengers and another 100-150 for your hitch and you don't have any left for tools, generator, bikes and extra fuel. I'm not saying you can't do it, I see it all the time, but if you are traveling at max load every day stuff breaks. Not trying to burst your bubble, just food for thought.

The truck will be later. We’re looking at DRW to ensure we are safe. We would love to stay SRW, but don’t want to risk it.

Thanks for the tips. I’ve heard great things about soft start capacitors.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:00 AM   #37

KZ RV Club
Hambone, I just checked the Columbus rigs you like and there are a couple things that come to mind. The 374 gives you the 2nd bath and the rear bunk. Gives you =and= the kidlet some privacy. Only down side, IMO, is that 2nd entrance. Kids love to roam and that could be an issue for sneaking out! :-)

Lyle
Old 11-14-2019, 10:06 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKnox View Post
Hambone, I just checked the Columbus rigs you like and there are a couple things that come to mind. The 374 gives you the 2nd bath and the rear bunk. Gives you =and= the kidlet some privacy. Only down side, IMO, is that 2nd entrance. Kids love to roam and that could be an issue for sneaking out! :-)

Lyle

Lyle,

We feel the rear bunk models take too much living space. The second bathroom is nice, but not needed for us. We feel the mid-bunk models maximize the living room and kitchen.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:09 PM   #39

Take another look at DRVs.

Hambone, for a selection of good used DRVs, check the website for Rolling Retreats, in Elk City, OK. Great reputation of the 5er world. I think they have about 10 good used units.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:52 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzly03 View Post
Hambone, for a selection of good used DRVs, check the website for Rolling Retreats, in Elk City, OK. Great reputation of the 5er world. I think they have about 10 good used units.

Thanks so much. We will check them out. That’s a long trek to get it, but if the deal and RV is right, it could be worth it.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:14 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
The truck will be later. We’re looking at DRW to ensure we are safe. We would love to stay SRW, but don’t want to risk it.

Thanks for the tips. I’ve heard great things about soft start capacitors.
Not sure you guys looked at 2020 truck ratings yet. I have a 2020 GMC 3500 crew cab AT4 SRW with 8' bed ordered. The tow ratings are 21,040 Max 5th Wheel towing max payload 4078 and max gcwr 29,700. I plan on towing my Raptor 355 with it gvw on trailer is 17,000. I currently tow it with a 2017 GMC 3500 short bed srw with no problem at all. Only mod on the truck is Rancho 7000 shocks. Only reason I'm trading up is for the longer bed. Oh and if you like Fords Their ratings on srw are even higher.
rblanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:54 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblanch View Post
Not sure you guys looked at 2020 truck ratings yet. I have a 2020 GMC 3500 crew cab AT4 SRW with 8' bed ordered. The tow ratings are 21,040 Max 5th Wheel towing max payload 4078 and max gcwr 29,700. I plan on towing my Raptor 355 with it gvw on trailer is 17,000. I currently tow it with a 2017 GMC 3500 short bed srw with no problem at all. Only mod on the truck is Rancho 7000 shocks. Only reason I'm trading up is for the longer bed. Oh and if you like Fords Their ratings on srw are even higher.

Thanks for the heads up! I’ll have to look at that. The beauty is that we will have the unit before the truck, so we’ll go with the truck needed.