Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2015, 07:18 AM   #1

First 5th Wheel - Denali 307RLS

We found and purchased our first 5th Wheel over the weekend. It is a 2015 Coachman Denali 307RLS. We are excited (and a little nervous) to pick it up soon.

On Friday we will be doing a full walk through and making sure everything is working and have anything we see wrong fixed before signing off on the final paperwork.

Anything specific that I should be looking for that a normal person might not thing of? Also, I know I see a lot of posts about replacing tires as soon as you can, does this pretty much apply to all 5th wheels? I can't remember the brand of tires (not common that I recall) but I know they are nitrogen filled.
unitlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2015, 07:45 AM   #2

First 5th Wheel - Denali 307RLS

Congratulations! You'll get lots of different opinions on tires and most tires that come on the trailers are pretty crappy. We just bought a new toy hauler that has Westlake tires which seem to have a decent reputation. I had planned on replacing them ASAP but as of right now I'm going to run them a year or two at the max. I replaced my previous toy hauler tires right after I bought it but I really haven't heard many bad things about the Westlakes. Most important thing is to keep them aired up to the proper pressure. I use a tire monitor pressure system which I really like and can keep an eye out for leaks and get a heads up if there's an issue.

As far as picking up your new RV there are checklists to go by that really help I think. I spent all day in our toy hauler and also stayed one night in it to make sure everything worked before leaving. I purchased out of town but still think it's a great idea. It's way easier to get them to fix stuff before you leave than trying to schedule a repair after you leave and they are paid.

Don't rush the walk through, take your time. More importantly in my opinion though is to spend time after the walk through making sure everything works, all the electrical outlets, no leaks, every light, etc. We had owned a toy hauler before so I was fairly familiar with how it all works. But, I spent a few hours after the walk through really looking over everything in detail. I used one of the small, cheap voltage testers to test the outlets. Very quick and easy and they are not expensive.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:40 AM   #3

Did you mean Dutchman Denali? Coachman doesn't make a Denali.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
Congratulations! You'll get lots of different opinions on tires and most tires that come on the trailers are pretty crappy. We just bought a new toy hauler that has Westlake tires which seem to have a decent reputation. I had planned on replacing them ASAP but as of right now I'm going to run them a year or two at the max. I replaced my previous toy hauler tires right after I bought it but I really haven't heard many bad things about the Westlakes. Most important thing is to keep them aired up to the proper pressure. I use a tire monitor pressure system which I really like and can keep an eye out for leaks and get a heads up if there's an issue.

As far as picking up your new RV there are checklists to go by that really help I think. I spent all day in our toy hauler and also stayed one night in it to make sure everything worked before leaving. I purchased out of town but still think it's a great idea. It's way easier to get them to fix stuff before you leave than trying to schedule a repair after you leave and they are paid.

Don't rush the walk through, take your time. More importantly in my opinion though is to spend time after the walk through making sure everything works, all the electrical outlets, no leaks, every light, etc. We had owned a toy hauler before so I was fairly familiar with how it all works. But, I spent a few hours after the walk through really looking over everything in detail. I used one of the small, cheap voltage testers to test the outlets. Very quick and easy and they are not expensive.
I didn't even think of testing the electrical outlets, I will make sure to check that. I already own a Kill-A-Watt, so that I will bring that with me.
While I won't be spending the night there, I do plan on checking everything. They will be putting water in the tank and hooking up the power to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Did you mean Dutchman Denali? Coachman doesn't make a Denali.
Yes, I meant Dutchman, my mistake.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitlink View Post
We found and purchased our first 5th Wheel over the weekend. It is a 2015 Coachman Denali 307RLS. We are excited (and a little nervous) to pick it up soon.

On Friday we will be doing a full walk through and making sure everything is working and have anything we see wrong fixed before signing off on the final paperwork.

Anything specific that I should be looking for that a normal person might not thing of? Also, I know I see a lot of posts about replacing tires as soon as you can, does this pretty much apply to all 5th wheels? I can't remember the brand of tires (not common that I recall) but I know they are nitrogen filled.
Some of those came with 20" Passenger tires. It can be a problem replaceing them especially if you level-up with them on there.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
Some of those came with 20" Passenger tires. It can be a problem replaceing them especially if you level-up with them on there.
20"??? Can't say Ive seen any trailer with bigger then 16" during our searching.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:22 AM   #7

Here is an example of a checklist. There are many more I am sure if you google it.

PDI Checklist
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:14 AM   #8

Our Denali 5th wheel came with Towmax tires. They started coming apart before I had put 7000 miles on them.

Greg

Greg McBride
2013 Heartland Bighorn 3010RE 5th wheel
2008 Ford F-350 diesel, crew cab, long bed, single rear wheels
gcmcbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedone View Post
Here is an example of a checklist. There are many more I am sure if you google it.

PDI Checklist
Thank you for the link, looks very similar to one that I have printed out currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcmcbride View Post
Our Denali 5th wheel came with Towmax tires. They started coming apart before I had put 7000 miles on them.

Greg

Greg McBride
2013 Heartland Bighorn 3010RE 5th wheel
2008 Ford F-350 diesel, crew cab, long bed, single rear wheels
Looks like I'll be replacing them after about 5k or so.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:36 PM   #10

If it has Towmax tires, don't wait until you have 5k miles on them. Replace them ASAP. I replaced mine at 300 miles, as soon as I got it back home from the dealer.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by justafordguy View Post
If it has Towmax tires, don't wait until you have 5k miles on them. Replace them ASAP. I replaced mine at 300 miles, as soon as I got it back home from the dealer.
100% agree. Got rid of my Towmax after just 200 miles. I was very uncomfortable with those tires on there. They squatted badly even when filled to spec. Went with G rated tires and enjoy the peace of mind tremendously
Old 10-21-2015, 01:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitlink View Post
20"??? Can't say Ive seen any trailer with bigger then 16" during our searching.
Older and smaller models were often fitted with optional tires including Passenger and Light truck tires. The current owners manual still has information in it informing new owners to check for optional tires. However, the current owners manual says "Although tires designated “LT” are sometimes used on trailers, they are not recommended for use on your trailer and should not be considered as replacements for the original equipment “ST” designated tires."

Old 10-21-2015, 02:08 PM   #13

Aw geese FE give it up will ya. No one believes you any longer. ST tires on a heavy trailer are, and will always be a disaster waiting to happen. My 2005 trailer came OE with LT tires. Replaced with LT tires. Tows wonderfully, never had a blow out, unlike some we could mention. As long as the OP installs tires that are equal to or greater than load range he will never have an issue. Unlike some we could mention.
BTW what is your ST tire failure count now?
Old 10-21-2015, 04:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
Older and smaller models were often fitted with optional tires including Passenger and Light truck tires. The current owners manual still has information in it informing new owners to check for optional tires. However, the current owners manual says "Although tires designated “LT” are sometimes used on trailers, they are not recommended for use on your trailer and should not be considered as replacements for the original equipment “ST” designated tires."

Have you had a chance to read the owner's manual? There is another aspect I failed to mention. Because of what your trailer's owner's manual says about replacement tires you would most likely lose all remaining factory warranty coverage and any extended warranty coverage for using tires not described on the trailer's certification label.

Lot's of people take exception to my posts and fail to research them before commenting. Everything I've posted in this thread is supported in your trailer's owner's manual. The decision of what tire to use and from what design is yours to make. I don't sell tires, promote tires or say much about tire brands unless asked. However, owners should make decisions with safety in mind.

There is nothing in print anywhere that tells a vehicle owner to match his axle rating with a tire rating. All industry standards are very direct about replacement tires in that they must provide the load capacity provided by the Original Equipment tires.

Tags
5th wheel