Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2016, 05:01 PM   #15

I'm the more cautious type so I tend to agree to have an inspection by a qualified individual. Not all inspectors are equal--you need to inspect the inspector as it were and not put blind faith in just anybody. You might have a look at https://rvinspection.com to see what you think. (I have no affilliation.) There is such a thing as a certified inspector.

I had an inpection done before I bought my RV and the inspector missed some things. I thought that because I was taking the rig to an RV shop I'd get a good inspection by someone who was qualified. I was wrong. You can't count on that.

With broken ceiling vents I'd be very concerned about wood rot in the roof. Any water staining in the ceiling might be reason enough to move along.

When it comes to trucks, be sure the truck you purchase can both handle the pin weight (payload) of the RV and has the towing capacity.
RussOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2016, 05:33 PM   #16

Lots of excellent advice on this thread. One comment on the 6.4. It is prone to major problems primarily with the High Pressure fuel pump. Almost anything with the 6.4 requires the Cab to be pulled off. Try to steer away from the 6.4 and if in the same model year look to the Chevy or Ram. The Ford 6.7 from 2011 on is also a major improvement. Not that in the 2008 year those trucks were stellar, but less risk than the 6.4.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:12 PM   #17

Regarding the trailer, since it has been sitting for awhile look for signs of mice, such as mice droppings.

Those little buggers will chew anything and do tons of damage that sometimes is difficult to track down and fix.
cootersotg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:47 PM   #18

Alright. A lot has happened in the last week. We found a great deal on a brand new gmc 2500 6.0 gas. We also went out today to check the trailer for water damage and try out the electrical. We were going to try out the plumbing but we are expecting snow. In short it is a 2000 hitchhiker 2 28.5RL. Looking over the trailer there is no signs of water damage but did find a little sign of mouse droppings. Here are some pictures.

WyoBowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:30 AM   #19

Ya that's about 10 times cheaper than I paid for my fifth and truck. And even with a new high end rig there are problems and repairs. A $5000 fifth wheel? You better have every inch checked carefully. Slides, suspension, plumbing, appliances, electrics.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:49 AM   #20

What if you go back to your original plan and forget about this trailer.

How would that scenario look? Better or worse than this 5th wheel.

On the negative side the trailer is 16 years old. On the positive side it was a quality builder that built solid units in 2000. If it checks out and still looks good, heck, it is worth $5,000.

A 2500 gas truck will tow this trailer just fine. But what about your next trailer in 2 - 3 years?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
What if you go back to your original plan and forget about this trailer.

How would that scenario look? Better or worse than this 5th wheel.

On the negative side the trailer is 16 years old. On the positive side it was a quality builder that built solid units in 2000. If it checks out and still looks good, heck, it is worth $5,000.

A 2500 gas truck will tow this trailer just fine. But what about your next trailer in 2 - 3 years?

I was worried it wasn't worth $5k. We are having someone come look at it with us next week to make sure everything checks out. My wife wants to glamp this one and the way she is attached to our house I don't see us selling it within five years.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:59 AM   #22

Remember, you're probably going to need new tires ASAP. Also, check to make sure everything works, like your AC, Water heater, furnace, and refrigerator. Check all your wall outlets and make sure there are no cracks or signs of distress on the front near the hitch and overhang. Look underneath for suspension issues and check all your exterior lights. Better yet. Have them spray water on the top while your inside to check for leaks. $5 for a 16yr old RV isn't much but it won't take much in repairs to turn it quickly into a $15k project.
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:23 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobra View Post
Remember, you're probably going to need new tires ASAP. Also, check to make sure everything works, like your AC, Water heater, furnace, and refrigerator. Check all your wall outlets and make sure there are no cracks or signs of distress on the front near the hitch and overhang. Look underneath for suspension issues and check all your exterior lights. Better yet. Have them spray water on the top while your inside to check for leaks. $5 for a 16yr old RV isn't much but it won't take much in repairs to turn it quickly into a $15k project.

Thanks! Spraying water on top is a good idea. The batteries were dead when we went on Saturday so the trailer is plugged in now. It's really sad because the owner doesn't know anything about it. It was bought for the grandson who decided he didn't want it after they bought it. We are taking my wife's grandpa to help us check it out. They have owned many rvs and fixed many. I am hopeful to do the final walk through on Friday as it is finally supposed to stop snowing. That should help us in seeing if there is any leaks.

This is one thing I am concerned with. I believe it's the hydraulics for the slide area.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:31 AM   #24

All I see is wood rot, rust and leaks. Not worth $5 if it's in poor shape.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithBowls View Post
All I see is wood rot, rust and leaks. Not worth $5 if it's in poor shape.

Did you see rot in the pictures or just due to the age? Sadly we aren't able to buy a brand new one. I wish we could but there is no way we could.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:47 PM   #26

Would you mind taking and posting about 10 various pictures of the outside and inside so we can give you a more informed assessment? Close up on tires, window frames, lights, under bathroom cabinets, in upper cabinets, and edges around carpet.
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobra View Post
Would you mind taking and posting about 10 various pictures of the outside and inside so we can give you a more informed assessment? Close up on tires, window frames, lights, under bathroom cabinets, in upper cabinets, and edges around carpet.

Yes I can do that. I have been meaning to do that.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:05 PM   #28

m

Tags
purchase