Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2021, 03:13 PM   #1

First fiver, 2006 Sunnybrook Titan - advice or experience?

Hi all,

My wife and I are starting to look at 5th wheels. We've got undeveloped property in Montanta we'd like to spend some time on in the summer boondocking and may take some travel nurse assignments starting in the fall. We maintained and lived on our 50' 1970's trawler (boat). I figure maintaining and living in a 5th wheel can't be that much different. Am I wrong?

We've looked at a few fivers new and used. Build quality and comfort is important but it's hard to swallow some of the new price tags. I'd also like to install 1,000+ watts of solar, lithium batteries, a larger inverter/charger etc. and I'm comfortable doing so. However, I struggle with the idea of buying a new fiver only to put holes in it and probably void the warranty.

My line of thinking, at least this morning, is start with an inexpensive older well built fiver that I can modify to my heart's content and to make sure we enjoy it before spending too much money. I've got my eye on a 2006 Sunnybrook Titan 36bwks. The interior is obviously dated, but it seems functional. Do you have any experience with the Sunnybrook Titan line? Build quality? What are some of the disadvantages to getting an older unit that I may not have considered?

Thanks!
BayouGrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2021, 03:42 PM   #2
Community Moderator

With older units if the appliance go bad will you be able to easily find repair parts? With the issues of the supply chains, so many will quote, will you find the older parts when needed.
It may come down to instead of repair, you may need to replace instead of repair when something goes bad, like water heater, furnace, fridge, etc....
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 03:52 PM   #3

We had a 2001 Sunnybrook. Over the 10 different brands I've owned over 40 years. It was the best built. And warmest. That's a good choice in my book. I bought a Side X Side CanAm. Only reason I sold it. For a toyhauler.Click image for larger version

Name:	1115170918-1-1.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	350793
ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 06:00 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
We had one of those models - the 33bwks. Very nice unit.

Sunnybrook was who first started DoubleTree (DRV). That was their top model.

We had another Sunnybrook trailer; a 26' model with one slide. 26CKS I think.

For their time period they had a very good reputation. If you're just going to park it and use it I think it would be a nice set-up. It probably needs a lot of interior updating but I think it probably has good 'bones' if it hasn't been abused.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:28 AM   #5

I've always liked Sunnybrook. If the price is OK, you won't be disappointed. I've always recommended buying a good used over new especially for the first few rigs. You should have no problem transitioning from a boat to RV in terms of maintenance. I'd recommend a one ton to tow with, even a dually if you don't mind them. I like the lithium idea, but I'd start with the solar and wet cell 6v cause I'm pretty cheap. Depending on where your Montana property is, you may not be able to rely on solar as you only power source. Some areas can go for days without much sunshine. You'll also need to install some type of sewage disposal. What kind depends on the county you're in. If you want to PM me I can give you some ideas. Water is easy to pack in if delivery is not available.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 09:18 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
The My RV Talk forum was previously the Sunnybrook Talk forum. Many members are current or former Sunnybrook or Mobile Scout owners:
https://www.myrvtalk.com/

I owned a 2001 and 2003 Sunnybrook. They were excellent trailers. Unfortunately they went out of business around 2007.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 10:26 PM   #7

Thanks, all! I appreciate the feedback.
BayouGrande is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice