Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman007 View Post
I have the same question! We are thinking of getting our 1st 5th wheel, a Voltage 3950 which is 41'. I cannot figure out how you can get enough room to back in a pad because with the F350 I will be at around 62' overall. It seems to me at the campgrounds we have been to, the truck cannot straighten out without hitting the campers in the opposing pad and at some point you need to straighten out the truck! Yet I see big 5th wheels in these spots so it must be possible....
It's always fun. I drove semi for years so I'm used to getting a big rig into small places but you always have to check the site out before you try to get in. My rig is 61' long.

We try to get pull throughs but even then they can leave a tree at the end of the pad so pulling out won't work. I usually have them take me to the site in their cart to see it before I pull the 5th down to it. That way I can see if I'm going to fit and if there is anything in the way.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
It's always fun. I drove semi for years so I'm used to getting a big rig into small places but you always have to check the site out before you try to get in. My rig is 61' long.

We try to get pull throughs but even then they can leave a tree at the end of the pad so pulling out won't work. I usually have them take me to the site in their cart to see it before I pull the 5th down to it. That way I can see if I'm going to fit and if there is anything in the way.
Great advice, thank you!
hitman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #17

Not that long ago (3 years) my wife and I sold our house and everything it contained and became full timers.
We bought a 40 foot 5th wheel and a Ford Super Duty F350 4 wheel drive. We made the mistake of listening to what the salesman told us about not needing a special license to pull the trailer but other than that we paid him little attention. (The best way to tell if a salesman is lying is looking to see if his lips are moving.)
Check with you local licensing branch and see what they require. Usually it is answering a few questions and then taking a road test with your rig.
Prior to buying our 5er we did a lot of research and by a lot I mean asking everyone we met about their rigs and we managed to avoid a lot of the pitfalls.
Then main thing we have found out is that you can't have too much space. The bigger the better is what I say about a full time trailer. You need storage for a lot of things and the bigger the rig the more storage, usually.
All the parks we have stayed at have had 50 amp service or we don't stay there and boondock for the night instead. Most parks have pull throughs and if you phone ahead they will reserve it for you.
We have a washer and dryer in our unit and 50 amps is what we look for in every park.
I wish you nothing but happiness with your decision and the only complaint that my wife and I have is that we wish we had become full timers 10 years sooner.
Captain Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
I've seen the pigtail type adapters that take two 30 amp or 1 30 and 1 20 and dovetailo into a 50 amp...
are those worth the expense ?
50-Amp RV Box Adapter - Intersource Enterprises D11-136 - Electrical Adapters - Camping World
Our Keystone Outback is 50 amps. Hated lugging that heavy cord around. Found we could live with 30 amps 95% of the time. Got an 50/30 adapter and happy camper. Can always use the 50 amps if needed , but a rarity. We only have one AC
Ray
rrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:39 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
A couple we had a site next to and became friends has a Landmark and it's 50 amp cord is on a roller contraption in a cabinet, that he just opens the door, grabs the end, pulls it out, and plugs it in....

then it rolls right back up when finished !!!
TOO COOL !!!! I studied it to figure out if I could add it to mine !
Old 06-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
What state requires a special licence to pull you privately owed RV?..Must be Ca. Go figure.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #21

There are a number of states as well as Canadian provinces that are requiring written as well as road tests to get the trailer towing addition to your driver's license. They base the need on how much the trailer weighs loaded rather than the length.
After taking both the written as well as the driving portion to get it added to my license I am all for it. The road test is not very hard but soon shows if someone should not be driving a truck never mind towing a 35 - 40 foot trailer behind them. I watched the person taking the test before me prove that point. The written test is quite simple but makes sure you know what you are doing.
Captain Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote