Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2018, 12:11 AM   #43

I prefer truck stops when refueling for many of the reasons already mentioned. They're easier to pull into and navigate, they're typically open 24 hours, they have a good range of supplies for incidentals on the road. Most have fast food restaurants or diners. I've yet to stop at one at any hour and not find fresh coffee. Many have a decent alcohol selection for reasonable prices if it's getting late and you don't feel like trying to run to another store before shutting down for the night.

I know my dad and I drove his 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax up the Al-Can and back with a Lance camper in the bed weighing roughly 3800 pounds. It handled exceptionally well. Granted we had airbags to counter the sag. In Tow/Haul it held a good clip up a steep grade at one point too.

As far as legality goes GVWR is a manufacturer recommendation more than a legal thing. Connecticut is the only state I've heard of with a law on the books not to exceed GVWR, but it's also in a list of other weights not to exceed "whichever is lower". All the states I've driven in so far, the weight you can't legally exceed is whatever they've determined is the heaviest vehicle combination allowed on their roads.
AKFlyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2018, 10:59 PM   #44

As we have a diesel, I find truck stops along our route using Trucker Path Pro. Easy in, easy out, no worries. Also, most truck stops have fast food restaurants attached (we prefer Subway).
Btipton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:51 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
The underground fuel tanks at gas stations need to be refilled and it comes in by a tanker truck. If a semi can make so can you and I. Don't over think it.

Well, the tanker trucks don't have to get in where the pumps are.
So, don't go by that guidance.
You do have to evaluate the situation. When we had a MH, some places I would have to unhook the tow car, fill up and then rehook the tow car and go.
At first with our fifth wheel we would look for Flying Js because they had RV pumps and more room.
Now, I've added a 20 gal. auxiliary fuel tank so when we stop it's just to pee, grab a weenie, chips and soda. Then we're off.
You do need to over think it in order to avoid a bummer situation.
Been there, done that.
96 Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:55 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
How are they gonna weigh a wadded up mess with any chance of getting it close...
^^^^'Zackly. What he said.....
Old 03-15-2018, 01:00 AM   #47

Truck stops are good for fast chow and a pee, but maybe not for fuel. It depends on your set up. After a few tries, you'll discover where you can and can't get into.
Nobody on this forum can guide you in that, no matter what they profess.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:19 PM   #48

Well....I did it today....bought the correct tow vehicle

Thanks again to the members that pointed out my too heavy load. (Especially archer) Terrible oversight and confidence in a truck. Oh well...lesson learned...i knew RV’ing wouldn’t be cheap.

I traded in the 2018 GMC 2500 today for a 2018 F-350 DRW...hope the wife likes driving it

Will post pics tonight or tomorrow when I have the truck. Thanks again!
Old 03-22-2018, 05:47 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
There is a greater difference than just registration. There are physical differences between a 3/4 and 1 ton. Sometimes just the springs. Sometimes the axles, sometimes more. All depends.
The manufacturer states to not exceed the payload rating. And that the payload rating is the pin weight rating.
I wouldn't do it.
The difference between the F250 and F350 is the rear springs, period. Beefing up the rear suspension gives it the same capabilities, BUT does not change the door sticker. All F350 SRW come standard at 11500 GVWR, but you can get a 10K or 11K sticker for registration purposes in some states that penalize truck weight. If you think you are overweight, with a 10K sticker, you just have to remember that the sticker is the only difference from an 11,500 truck.
Back to regular programming. I like to take exits that have several fuel choices so we can eyeball them and choose whoever has the best entrance and exit for our rig. I prefer pump lanes parallel to the road, but sometimes the lanes that face toward the store have enough room to pull through after fueling and go around all pumps and back to the road. Just be wary of your approach and exit to not scrape anything.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:23 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
The difference between the F250 and F350 is the rear springs, period. Beefing up the rear suspension gives it the same capabilities,
Nope, not true. All depends on year. The axles are not the same every year.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:22 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
Nope, not true. All depends on year. The axles are not the same every year.
You are correct. I should have said they are the same except for the rear suspension since 2011. The F350 replaces the F250 2" block with a 4" block and adds an overload spring. And since the 2017 model year the Super Duty cabs are the same as the F150 cabs. Cost cutting at its finest since the F150 cabs have been better than Super Duty anyway.
As for GM and RAM, I have no idea of the differences between the 2500 and 3500 trucks.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:45 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
All of this weight stuff can be confusing, and even seasoned tow people will have different opinions. My point is, don't lose a bunch of sleep over this. Load light, leave the bar-bells and gym equipment at home and camp on. Keep the truck and trailer brakes in good repair. So you learned something here, and your next truck will be a 3500. If I had a dime for every wrong choice I have made? ...Well I would be in a Prevost. Still glad people here are willing to point it out, so now you know.
kgchampagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:49 AM   #53

all of us have had moments of 'fear' with our first RV and the questions of 'fueling' that big rig... even the 'little' rigs shake in their shoes at first.
as someone else said - 'if a semi truck that fuels the station can maneuver in, then certainly you can'... it's true, but at first it doesn't seem possible.

Google maps 'overview' or satellite view is your BEST FRIEND. If you're not familiar with a fuel station, gas station, or truck stop, then use it to 'see' the layout, the entrance(s) and exit(s), and you can start to quickly figure out your plan of attack. It's not so much getting 'in', but sometimes planning the 'out'!

When we first started, with a Ram truck and 40' fifth wheel, I was trembling trying to figure out how to get in, get near enough to the gas pump, and get out. Sometimes you stick way out in back while fueling the truck.

When we traded to our Class A 38' Georgetown, pulling a tow dolly, I was learning a whole new feeling about how to maneuver this beast to the gas pumps. The gas fill is 'way back'! of the RV. Sometimes you stick way out in FRONT while fueling the RV.

When we traded to our Palazzo Diesel pusher, towing our car 4-down, I was now learning to find DIESEL pumps instead of gas, but the fuel fills are right behind the driver and passenger sides(on both sides, nice!)... so maneuvering into either a Diesel pump or the diesel lanes in a truck stop was a breeze - just drive right up next to the pump! I even use the tight Murphy stations at Walmart - notorious for extremely tight lanes and hardly much room to drive 'around' the back, but possible if you are confident.

Confidence... you'll get it after a while. Google maps - I continue to use it no matter how confident I am, it's worth the few minutes to check out your options and know what you're in for.

and, I also deliver brand new Class A units of all types and sizes, gas and diesel, to dealers from the factories. I hardly EVER use a truck stop, even for diesel - 'regular' fuel and gas stations are the norm, even for the longest of units - and that's also with me towing my personal vehicle!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:55 AM   #54

I use truck stops. The nozzle fills the truck much faster. They are at every exit on the highways. The downside is I need to walk in to the store to have them activate the pump.

I never see a 5th wheel driver pull into those small stations. 1st, you need to know where the diesel pump is. 2nd, the pumps are slow, 3rd you can get stuck if you need to pull in facing the store.

Getting diesel fuel is a hassle so those guys that sugar coat it, I would like to meet. Sure you can do it but do it without getting that diesel smell on your hands. And you might need to wait for a car to move.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:01 AM   #55

Oh, for food we use rest stops and eat in the 5th wheel. We have the fridge cold and loaded with drinks as well as the pantry. We can not get to out table with the slides in but do have access to a corner of the counter. Not perfect but doable.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:24 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamiwillRV View Post
Well....I did it today....bought the correct tow vehicle

Thanks again to the members that pointed out my too heavy load. (Especially archer) Terrible oversight and confidence in a truck. Oh well...lesson learned...i knew RV’ing wouldn’t be cheap.

I traded in the 2018 GMC 2500 today for a 2018 F-350 DRW...hope the wife likes driving it

Will post pics tonight or tomorrow when I have the truck. Thanks again!
Holy cow Kamiwill. This forum is sure costing you a lot of money. Surprised you are still hanging around. The good news is with that new truck and hitch pulling your trailer your tow will be low stress.
CecilD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel