Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2009, 09:37 PM   #1

Fiver or not

Thinking of buying a camper, but undecided if 5ver or bp. Like to take other stuff to camp with or motorcycle. I know that I can haul these things in the truck bed and be safe. And so is it worth it to get bp.
I also know the benefits of pulling a gooseneck. Just can not decide. I have 1 ton truck and can go either way. Trailer behind the 5ver seems not to be recommended by most.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2009, 05:12 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome jbailey2 to irv2.
This link will lead you to a great lineup the X-Aire is a toy hauler with many options.
With the economy as it is you may be able to find a great deal out there.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:33 PM   #3

jbaily2, I'm just curious. Your join date is Nov 2000, isn't that about the time irv2 was created?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:29 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
jbaily2, I'm just curious. Your join date is Nov 2000, isn't that about the time irv2 was created?
Ray

iRV2 went live in January 2000.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:42 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey2 View Post
Thinking of buying a camper, but undecided if 5ver or bp. Like to take other stuff to camp with or motorcycle. I know that I can haul these things in the truck bed and be safe. And so is it worth it to get bp.
I also know the benefits of pulling a gooseneck. Just can not decide. I have 1 ton truck and can go either way. Trailer behind the 5ver seems not to be recommended by most.
With a 5er you will loose most of the bed. You can use the space between the hitch and tailgate, but I don't as things get caught in the umbilical cord and/or breakaway cable. I have had stuff get tangled with the breakaway cable so that when I made a right turn it got pulled out and the trailer brakes lockup. NO FUN. So now I only put what will fit between the hitch and the cab in the bed.

I thought about one of those hydraulic lifts for the MC. I talked to Newmar directly when spec'ing my current coach to have the frame extended all the way to the rear bumper to install the lift. The frame extension was not a costly item, (Newmar would have nothing to do with the installing the lift) but at the very last minute I scratched the idea. I did not like the idea of hanging my bike on the back of the 5er. I was afraid it would throw the front -> rear balance off. A year later I met someone in a CG that had that setup with his bike. He said he liked being able to bring his bike but he had to wash the bike everyday when he stopped. It picked up a lot of road dirt, especially when raining. He said he could not cover it as the air got the cover flapping and would destroy the paint. I don't know for certain; that is what he told me. But when I was talking to him, the bike was very dirty.

I don't know if there is an advantage of a gooseneck over a kingpin hitch other than already having a gooseneck installed for other reasons and not wanting to change it out.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:07 AM   #6

There's no perfect setup for all situations...

I really like the 5th wheel toyhauler route. 5th wheels to me handle much better, especially in wind or uneven roads. With your dually, you would have a stable rig.

I like being able to back the toyhauler into the yard, and unhook and I'm done. The ATV's just live in the garage section, so I don't have to unload them and find a place in my regular garage for them.

On the other hand, if you have an off-road only motorcycle (or quad) it can be a bummer if you end up in a place where there isn't a legal way to ride from camping spot to the trailhead...
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:39 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
A traditional tag-along travel trailer is usually less expensive, per square foot, than a 5er. A 5er offers you more useable living space and storage, as well as some very creative floor plans.

My wife loves our 5er, after having TTs for years. If I had my preference, I would go back to a TT. I liked having the extra bed space in the truck. I also prefer towing a TT over a 5er. I know I'm in the minority here, but that is my personal preference.
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:49 PM   #8

First off, most if not all remaining manufacturers do not recommend a goose neck for fivers. Unless the frame is specifically made for then it can add a lot of strain on the frame members.
Have you thought about a toy hauler fifth wheel? These can offer a lot of storage space for the toys and when you get where you are going, simply unload and open up the couches and beds.
After having both in my life, I will never go back to a bumper pull trailer. There is far too much work required to get then to haul with any semblance of stability. Fiver are inherently way more stable when towing them.