Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2021, 06:15 PM   #1

Fiver tire blow out.

Wife and I experienced our first tire blow out on our triple axle toy hauler this past summer. It's a Grand Design Mometum, 2016, original tires. I do have tire monitor system on them, the tire that blew was first one closest to me on driver side. For a couple trips prior the monitor said there was a pressure problem with that tire, let me say, I am extremely anal in physically checking all tire pressures before hitting the road, my physical checks showed proper psi, I figured it was a malfunction in the monitor system, I rebooted the whole system, changed out batteries first then rebooted, after doing so I still got a pressure issue on that tire, again I physically checked it and got a normal psi, so, my question is this, was the blow out coincidental to what the monitor was telling me, we did travel slow through a construction zone prior to blow out, maybe picked up a nail, any thoughts or similarities are appreciated, thanks!
nclauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2021, 06:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nclauser View Post
Wife and I experienced our first tire blow out on our triple axle toy hauler this past summer. It's a Grand Design Mometum, 2016, original tires. I do have tire monitor system on them, the tire that blew was first one closest to me on driver side. For a couple trips prior the monitor said there was a pressure problem with that tire, let me say, I am extremely anal in physically checking all tire pressures before hitting the road, my physical checks showed proper psi, I figured it was a malfunction in the monitor system, I rebooted the whole system, changed out batteries first then rebooted, after doing so I still got a pressure issue on that tire, again I physically checked it and got a normal psi, so, my question is this, was the blow out coincidental to what the monitor was telling me, we did travel slow through a construction zone prior to blow out, maybe picked up a nail, any thoughts or similarities are appreciated, thanks!
Unfortunate experience. If you still have the failed tire, a good tire man should be able to tell you what happened. There are folks this forum that can likely sort it out if you have photos or can describe what you saw of the failed tire.
hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 06:36 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can only add that I once had a tire leak that didn't leak when the puncture was in contact with the driveway.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:42 PM   #4

Next time, switch the sensors (if you can) with another tire. If it follows the sensor, it most likely would be the sensor. If it doesn't, then it is most probably is the tire.
Astasoftride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 09:58 PM   #5

Many if not most blowouts are caused by low tire pressure over an extended period of time. You could have gotten a flat from a nail,screw or road debris. You could have a slow leak from a rusty rim or could have a leaky or torn valve stem.

A tire that has run low for a while should be easy to prove when dismounted. A 2016 rig could have tires made in 2015 or even 2014. Datecodes are stamped on the sidewall.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 10:20 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Sometimes tire blowouts happen with nothing to do with tire air pressure. Any kind of road hazard or tire issue could cause a blowout, even with continuous perfect air pressure. A lot of time, once the tire blows and you get pulled over, there is no determining the cause; all that remains is shreds and a rim.
I would check all your tires, as they are probably close to the end of their safe life. You are doing right checking your pressure frequently. I do also and have had two blowouts on trailers.
Thanks,
wog099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:39 AM   #7

2016? Time for new tires. Consider stepping up a weight rating or two with the goal being to not have your tires as the weak spot in the system.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:21 PM   #8

We had a Westlake in June (also on a 2016 Momentum purchased new in April 2016) where the tread separated from the tire. Tire was still at the proper pressure when we pulled over in a parking lot.

Was going to replace the tires at the end of the summer as the tires had 5 years of use, but 6 years old from manufacturing date. We keep our tires covered whenever parked for extended periods and always on concrete. ...One trip too many I guess.

Anyway, went with Goodyear Endurance as replacements and are happy with them so far.

Definitely won't push past the 5 year mark again...not worth the repair as the sliver of tread beat the side of the camper up and damaged our trim on the driver's side. We are still waiting for the repair/parts. Hope to have repairs finished for the start of the spring season.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:03 PM   #9

Have you checked the data code on your tires? I bet they have aged out, I know my Westlakes tires on my 2016 Cedar Creek aged out last year. You can’t go by the year of the trailer, since tires sometimes are older than the year the trailer was built.

Three of my tires had a date code of earlier 2015 on them and one tire was made in Dec 2014. So, all were replaced in 2020, to avoid any blow outs due to old tires.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:38 PM   #10

We had 6 blowouts that occurred about 2 1/2 years apart. The first time we had a blowout on I10 in New Mexico, changed to the spare and got a new tire I Arizona on I10. 200. Miles later another. Got a new tire in Mesa, AZ. 400 miles later another blow out. Get the picture. China bomb tires last about 2 1/2 years. So 2 years later the tires started blowing. So if you have a blowout replace all the tires as the rest aren't far behind
Yes I checked pressure every morning. Now run a tpms. Also, noticed that with the tpms the tires keep pressure for several months. The best thing we discovered were Goodyear Endurance. Still running 2017 date code tires. Probably will replace them next year.
MingusPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 08:55 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Speaking of tire issues, is it important that RVers not only consider age or tire load ratings or cold PSI vs actual load, but consider tire speed ratings as well?

As an example, the Westlake tires, size 215/75R17.5, installed on my RV at the factory were speed rated at 62mph. Had I cruised at my preferred travel speed of 65-70 mph on long highway runs, would I have encountered a blowout or tread separation prematurely over time? Perhaps. Perhaps not.

I went ahead and swapped to Goodyear G114 tires speed rated at 75mph to minimize the risk of tire issues (I hope). Are speed ratings truly meaningful? Or was I being overly cautious....
Old 11-30-2021, 09:33 AM   #12

A tires speed rating is more about the tires ability to handle internal heat at speed.
Internal damage from running over a tires speed rating is accumulative according to tire mfg and tire experts.

The OP situation is typical of many older (not all) china made load E/D/C ST tires with 65 mph max speed rating. They simply couldn't handle heating from long hiway runs carrying heavy loads.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 04:36 PM   #13

Our Westlakes were speed rating L (75 mph) which they never saw.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:09 PM   #14

I had exactly the same situation, i.e. driver-side front tire and my Tire Minder sensors (many/several as I thought the problem was battery, then sensors). Surprise, it was the TM77 controller which Tire Minder happily and freely swapped out for me. Also, TM said it might be the fact that that one tire had a rubber stem; true, but really had no effect on the problem of always losing PSI. Ultimate conclusion after a blow out: added pressure to bring even with other 3, and, since it was a China bomb, on a hot day it was grossly over pressure real fast and blew. Lesson learned, all TPMS are not perfect, maybe accurate, but there are imperfections with all of them. I am with Tire Minder now for over 10 years, and I rely on them to keep me off the narrow shoulders changing blow outs with 18 wheelers wizzing by at 75 MPH. I also, after 25 years of RVing rely on my Goodyear Edurances without any blow outs to date (my record is that on every RV ever purchased new, every China bomb failed mostly with blow outs but some separated treads until I removed them!).
cletesingler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire