Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2011, 10:59 AM   #1

Fixed RV Antenna

I have a new Komfort 5th wheel that has a fixed TV antenna on top of the roof. I can only receive 3 stations compared to 8 stations that other campers get with their crank up antenna's. Does anybody else have this problem? Can anything be added to help the reception?

Thanks,
Komfortrv250
Komfortrv250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
It is basically a fixed versus directional and or amplified antenna difference. I just went through that exercise with our teardrop trailer. Tried an omnidirectional antenna versus a Jack Jack® | TV For Free antenna which has a built-in amplifier. I was getting four or five stations with the omnidirectional antenna versus something like 30 with the Jack TV.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Can anything be added to help the reception?
A new amplified crank up Winegard Batwing with a Wingman on it will help your reception.

Nothing can improve the one you have now. Other then camping within 15 miles of the TV towers.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Those Flying Saucer jobs... Should be flown into the nearest dumpster.

Though I do admit Radio Shack sells one that is better.

Still not as good as a "Real" antenna (Sensar III or IV or the Jack Antenna)

I'd go with the IV myself
Old 10-24-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with wa8yxm. Use the round thing for target practice at the skeet range.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Those Flying Saucer jobs... Should be flown into the nearest dumpster.

Though I do admit Radio Shack sells one that is better.

Still not as good as a "Real" antenna (Sensar III or IV or the Jack Antenna)

I'd go with the IV myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I agree with wa8yxm. Use the round thing for target practice at the skeet range.

Ken

X3

I think "Run Forrest Run" is in order with the round antennas.

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't Need It ! Motor-T
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I started having issues with our tv antenna a few weeks ago; figured I'd get a new one in the spring. The amplifier seems to have bit the bullet on ours....little green lite doesn't shine anymore and we got no reception.
Anyway...we still had a reserved outing this past week at one of our local St. Parks so we didn't want to be without a TV in case the weather went south...So, I made my own antenna from directions I found on You tube and found out what I was missing....we got 17 clear channels instead of the normal 6 we got at this campground over the past 7 years using our old bat-wing antenna.
It isn't pretty; but the reception was excellent with 0- digital fade and loss of signal.
Not once, in 5 days did we loose a signal....heck, we would loose the signal with the bat-wing 5 times in one day....
If you can follow simple directions and don't want to spend the money on a new antenna...try building one yourself....I have to say, I am sold...My cost? about $3.50 in parts I already had laying around my shed from an old remodeling job....Here's a picture of one very similar to the one I made.
Again...If I hadn't seen how effective this was; I'd never had believed it.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #8

For woodburner

I had same problem as you with light not coming on when button was pushed in on booster, when i ordered new one had same problem.
The new one instructions said that a short in wiring from booster to antenna would keep light from coming on. I unhooked wire from antenna first and wouldn't come on, but when I unhooked the wire from booster, it came on, so I know I need to find this short when weather gets warmer, I suspect in will be under the slideout as I have checked wire on roof.
huck1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna