Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2019, 11:35 AM   #1

Folding Steps

I'm going to upgrade my steps to the fold out vs. the standard fold up steps. Planning on installing myself.
Anyone have done this and have some thoughts on brands?
Installation tips?
dhawley9121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2019, 10:39 AM   #2

Coastal Campers
We installed the Morryde steps on our fiver. Installation was pretty straightfoward and went smoothly, but the screen door did need to be shortened and the rubber "support" on the bottom edge of the regular door had to be removed. The steps are very sturdy, but there are some disadvantages: any dirt or water on the steps ends up inside the trailer when you stow the steps ,they take up room inside the trailer when stowed, and if you are too close to anything opposite the door, they cannot be deployed which could be a problem depending on where you store it, or where trees or other obstructions on you site may be.

If we were going to do it again, I think we would use the TorqueLift Glowstep or similiar instead.
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:44 PM   #3

Glow steps are very stable they are aluminum and it can be fold.For me they are the best.
buc1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:13 AM   #4
IC2

I installed the Lippert Solid Steps as they have a 50% wider top step like a landing in a S&B. The installation - took me longer to gather the tools then it did to install at a campground. I also added a Stromberg Carlson Lend-A-Hand Extended Assist Rail rather then a hand. That hand rail would have hit the kitchen counter when retracted on our 5er
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:35 AM   #5

We replaced the original fold up 3 step with the GlowStep Revolution 4 step. https://www.torklift.com/rv/glowstep-revolution

Old 05-17-2019, 08:19 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawley9121 View Post
I'm going to upgrade my steps to the fold out vs. the standard fold up steps. Planning on installing myself.
Anyone have done this and have some thoughts on brands?
Installation tips?
What brand of camper do you have?
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:43 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
X2 on the Lippert Solid Step
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:00 PM   #8

I put the lippert in mine . The first step is wide . They also have an hydraulic assist for raising a d lowering. Moryde makes a nice box to go into the hole left behind . Uses exsisting brackets . Great for triangles and tire repair tools . Just put a rug down in front . No big deal.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:30 PM   #9
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
I put the lippert in mine . The first step is wide . They also have an hydraulic assist for raising a d lowering. Moryde makes a nice box to go into the hole left behind . Uses exsisting brackets . Great for triangles and tire repair tools . Just put a rug down in front . No big deal.
I have that MORryde box with the Lippert steps. Don't have much in it yet but it does a good job filling in the hole where the spring board step were
Old 05-17-2019, 08:57 PM   #10

Just put the Lippert solid step 3 step version in our 5er. So far just in the driveway we love it. Love the larger top step and our driveway is gravel so the adjustable legs work perfect. The only problem I had with install was the screen door would not shut when steps were out. Took a grinder and took off about 1/8” off the bottom and was good to go.
2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 4:10 gears
2010 Starcraft Homestead 5th wheel
2018 Polaris General
ike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:02 PM   #11

If you boondock in rest areas or Walmarts be prepared for eventually someone, semi maybe, to pull in 2 feet from your rig. If you have pulled them in so they won't get run over then you might find yourself trapped inside. I'll keep my folding scissor style.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
If you boondock in rest areas or Walmarts be prepared for eventually someone, semi maybe, to pull in 2 feet from your rig. If you have pulled them in so they won't get run over then you might find yourself trapped inside. I'll keep my folding scissor style.

I have the MorRyde and am very selective where I park do the exact reason you bring up. Glad you brought it up. Can you imagine? That’s my luck LOL.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:36 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Here's another vote for the Glowstep Revolution steps. We've had them on our last Landmark and had them transferred to the new one. Very stable and easy to install.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:56 AM   #14
IC2

Your old OEM spring board steps can be easily sold this time of year. After tripping over mine stored under the porch for a couple years, just put them on craigslist. Sold them within a couple days.

As far as someone parking too close so you can't extend them - that excuse really gets old. In reality, that seldom happens. In our 45 years of TT and 5er RVing, the total times that someone has parked too close for easy coach access, springboard or drawbridge steps has happened is ... zero.

Tags
steps