Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2022, 12:40 AM   #1

Forest River Sandpiper

I have been looking at fifth wheels for a while now and will probably buy in the spring. I am mostly looking at used trailers built in the last 5 years and have been really impressed with the Forest River trailers and like the floorplans of the Sandpiper line. This will be for full time living, just for me, my only worry with the Sandpiper line is they seem to be a little light for their size, usually about a 1,000 pounds compared to comparable sized trailers from other manufacturers. I would like to hear from anyone with experience with these trailers, good or bad. Thanks in advance.
Saltwaterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2022, 05:28 AM   #2

The Sandpiper is a run of the mill 5th wheel. Look at the frame and axles. IMHO you are better off in a smaller Cardinal or Cedar Creek 5th wheel than a bigger Sandpiper. That is if they build a small Cardinal.

They build the Sandpiper with cheaper material. Cheaper material could be 3/8" plywood being used vs 1/2" plywood. Or plastic pieces being used instead of metal. It is 1,000lbs lighter for a reason.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 04:02 AM   #3

I can't believe no one else responded to this thread. I think a Sandpiper 5th wheel would be more common.

Fyi - the Keystone Cougar 5th wheels are rated for 'full time use'. I don't think the Sandpiper is rated for that way. But like I said before you are better off, like in this case, a smaller Montana than a Cougar. Oh, both the Montana and Cougar are rated for cold weather. Not that it really means much because it really doesn't. Sure you can stay in zero degree weather but the furnace will never shut off.

I would like dual pane windows on my next RV to see if they help in the cold.

You might want to check the Dec, Jan, Feb winter where you plan to stay. I say this because it gets cold at night in those months in most of the US. IMHO it will not be easy to stay warm at night in the winter. I followed the winter weather in south Arizona, south Texas and central Florida in the winter. South Florida was too expensive. Anyway all those places get cold at night in the winter. Cold is 55 degrees when you are staying in an RV.

The reason RV's are cold I think is the single pane windows and the thin walls. I stayed in Crystal River Florida in winters and it was not easy to stay warm at night without a constant source of heat. Usually a few electric heaters. My favorite was a oscillating tower electric heater. Also using a electric heater in the basement area of the 5th wheel helped stay warm at night. But that meant the basement area had to be cleaned out because you don't want to cause a fire.
Old 12-04-2022, 05:52 PM   #4

Yes this what I was afraid of, I really like some of their floor plans, especially the front living room. As far as the winters, my plan is to be along the Texas Gulf Coast fishing, I am aware of winters in travel trailers. I spent two winters in North Texas in a Jayco travel trailer while on a job, several weeks below 20degrees and about 4 or 5 days at about 0 degrees.
Saltwaterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 10:51 PM   #5

Those front living 5th wheels are nice - I like them. Seems to make a better bedroom and bigger bathroom too. They were 1st built in the 1990's I think but fell out of favor until the last 8 years or so. I believe most manufacturers now make a front living 5th wheel. I would look at Cougar or even the Rockwood/Flagstaff 5th wheels.

If the Sandpiper has 5/8's plywood flooring that is good. Anything less is bad.

Being 1,000lbs lighter probably means a thinner frame, smaller axles and thinner plywood is my guess.

Texas in winter - ugh, that is a rainy, chilly place. But if the fishing is good then who cares?
Old 12-08-2022, 02:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
IMHO you are better off in a smaller Cardinal or Cedar Creek 5th wheel than a bigger Sandpiper.

Those brands have been cheapened up too.

Nothing coming off the line is built well enough to justify the price.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river