Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2017, 10:37 AM   #1

Four season 5th wheel with bunkhouse?

We are a family of 5 (3 small children), planning to go full-time next year.

I'm looking for a 4-season 5th wheel with a separate queen bedroom and a separate bunkhouse (both able to be closed off). I'd really like a compact rig that's under 34 feet long, to keep our camping options flexible and our towing simple. Our budget is not huge ($30k), so we'd love to buy used if possible.

I feel like I'm looking for a unicorn.

In my research, it seems like a 4-season rig with these length and sleeping preferences is impossible to find... but I'm new at this, so I'd love input!

Anyone have brand or floorplan recommendations that fit these specifications?
Are we trying to find something that just doesn't exist in our price range?

Thanks for your help!
wanderville is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2017, 10:47 AM   #2

That's a lot to cram in 34'... it's not a common floor plan, anyway. I'd start trolling

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/

To maybe stumble on an older unit/floor plan that isn't being produced today. Longer/heavier the options get easier. In a TT the options might be a little easier too.

How 4 season does it need to be? North Dakota 4 season or Texas 4 season?
Old 11-29-2017, 11:15 AM   #3

Would a TT be a good option for FT? We liked the FW because of the stability, the slide outs for space, and more of a homey feel (more room separation) rather than a box-on-wheels. But we're open to suggestions for sure, especially since our budget and length preferences are limited.

It won't be in extreme 4-season weather. The coldest surroundings we're planning on for extended stays is West Virginia mountains in winter.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:17 AM   #4

In terms of space - we're psuedo-minimalists and aren't too worried about stripping down to the essentials to fit in a smaller space.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:28 AM   #5

I think you'd be more likely to check the closed off bunk room and 34' boxes in a TT. That's a not uncommon TT but a little rarer in FW.

RVs tend to get less kid friendly as you go from TT->FW->class A since the more expensive an RV gets the fewer people with kids are buying them. At least in my experience.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:30 PM   #6

Super helpful!

We would be open to the bunks not being shut off, as long as the master is.

Are there specific brands/models to look for when it comes to four season FWs?
Old 11-29-2017, 02:01 PM   #7

http://www.nuwa.com/cgi-bin/dbsql-2....template=coach

Unicorn sighting...not sure on the "light" Nuwas but there is info on web...

https://claz.org/classifieds/view/20...-33-b1qsb7n6sk
Old 11-29-2017, 06:36 PM   #8

Could always add bunkbeds

With kids a separate bathroom is a must have and a big pass through for the kids stuff
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:11 PM   #9

Nuwa was a very good built trailer in it's day. Probably be an ok 4 season trailer.

There are bunk house models out there. Just keep looking. I have seen the bunk house in the front with the master bedroom in the back.

There was a good question asked before. 4 season in N. Dakota or 4 season in Texas?

And incase you do not know I will say there really is no such thing as a warm trailer in the north in the winter. Sure you can survive, but you will not be comfortabe. Trailers get cold easy. Single pane windows, 2" walls and crappy insulation. My trailer has an 'All Season' sticker. I will tell you it is hard to stay warm in the middle of Flordia when they are sparying the strawberry plants with water to keep them from freezing.

You going to stay in an RV Park, boondocking or other?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post

And incase you do not know I will say there really is no such thing as a warm trailer in the north in the winter. Sure you can survive, but you will not be comfortabe. Trailers get cold easy. Single pane windows, 2" walls and crappy insulation. My trailer has an 'All Season' sticker. I will tell you it is hard to stay warm in the middle of Flordia when they are sparying the strawberry plants with water to keep them from freezing.

You going to stay in an RV Park, boondocking or other?
That comments applies to all RVs. Our better than average motorhome with dual pane windows, good insulation and good heating systems gets cold. RVs just don't hold heat, period. I lived in WV for a few years and you better be prepared to have supplemental heating for all the tanks and wet bay. Also be prepared to buy a lot of propane since heat pumps are not effective below about 40f and generally any electrical heating in an RV is minimal designed to break the chill, not warm the toes.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:29 AM   #11

We will be in the WV mountains in the winter mostly, so nothing too extreme! Thank you for this info!
Old 11-30-2017, 06:30 AM   #12

@Freqz Thank you so much!! Awesome.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:51 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 31.5 2003 Wilderness bunkhouse, queen on the deck, 3 bunks streetside and rear bathroom.It has a center slideout for couch and dinnette. was a little spooky getting used to parking 1 with a slide [never had a slide before], but there is a lot of open space in here. As there are only 2 of us, people we got it from was a family of 5, we use the bunks for storage and the dog has claimed the bottom for his own hidey hole.
Hope this helps some.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:06 PM   #14

https://rv.campingworld.com/rvdetail...20k-MEM1299134

We looked at this one when we bought ours, didnt purchase this one but liked it. It has the polar package, almost 33 feet in length and under $30k for the moment. I think this is the floor plan that you are looking for.
MorganT69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, bunkhouse